Brake lit on fire

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are compatible in the fact that it won't go all weird on ya and will work to get you out of a bind or if you use DOT4 in a DOT3 system, all is good. Except using it in a DOT4 system you need to realize what your actually doing, lowering the boiling point on the system designed for DOT4 and that's the issue. If it was the other way around, then no problem. SO you need to be aware of what your intention's are know what your doing and be careful.
Brake fluid once overheated will be more prone to boiling. Once you overheat the fluid you generally loose the braking power, the system will get spongy and in real bad cases can even fail.
This is why i can not give advise on mixing a DOT3 into a DOT4 system. If it was the other way, DOT4 into a DOT3 system...no problem. But that was not the question.
So my point is in mechanic's there are sometime's acception's, experience and understanding of a system will decide what is acceptable or not. This is one of those cases.

BTW, great charts

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mixed fluids didn't do that, check for crap in you master cylinder return port, smallest piece of crap stuck in the orifice will make the brake drag.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Temp difference between dot3 and 4 isn't enough to worry about in normal operation. You had a hard parts failure. Or the parking brake was left on or not releasing all the way.

Tell them you want new brakes all around including the rotor and caliper and you'll take a pair of new pants too.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess you can say this plays into the same field as going to CT and buying Castrol oil to put in your $14,000 sled instead of your manufactures oil. Yes it will work, its your choice, would i recommend it...??? I won't doit.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have added dot 4 because of higher temp fluid.

but i will wait until i hear from tex, before going any further.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have added dot 4 because of higher temp fluid.

but i will wait until i hear from tex, before going any further.
Did ya notice I didn't say anything about wrong fluid, 3 and 4 are close enough you can use both mixed, where dot 5 is totally different stuff

And for 95 % of sleds, the brakes will never get used to the boil point of dot 3...

sent while drinking tea's

Top Bottom