Bought an 871 Blower for the shoebox today...

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Always wanted a blower, and today I said it's time as I stepped up and bought a Weiand 871 blower for my 55 chevy. I'll be building a 421 small block over the winter and the blower will be mounted up and tuned before spring rolls around.

Guess I better be stocking up on some rubber as the fun factor is about to go up exponentially. ;);)

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the other 71 series blowers been used on gas pots? ie 371 471 671? for what they are built for its just 3 psi to make the 2 stroke diesels work,

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the other 71 series blowers been used on gas pots? ie 371 471 671? for what they are built for its just 3 psi to make the 2 stroke diesels work,

here's a pic of a 671 on my 355 small block Chevy

Attachments

• PICT0193.jpg
    PICT0193.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 264

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Always wanted a blower, and today I said it's time as I stepped up and bought a Weiand 871 blower for my 55 chevy. I'll be building a 421 small block over the winter and the blower will be mounted up and tuned before spring rolls around.

Guess I better be stocking up on some rubber as the fun factor is about to go up exponentially. ;);)

Thats gonna be a stump puller! SWEET!

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and here's a smaller one on a 383 stroker....nice little unit and fits under the hood...little screamer!

Sorry Gascan ...not trying to steal yer thread...thought I'd show Polarblu some blowers....yer 55 will be killer...can't wait to see it!

Attachments

• DCP_2492.jpg
    DCP_2492.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 246

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
No worries SS.

It will be fun for sure, but I better add some power steering cause it's gonna be all over the road and should fry them little tires at any speed. Not gonna touch the back half until next year. Then it will get some wide rubber and suspension work.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure GasCan...I never had power steering on the 82 Camaro and that was just plain stupid driving it. A guy has all that power and what the hell is robbing 10 HP gonna do at the end of the day rather than having to crank a manual steering wheel?! Your right...I would definatly go with Power steering...your caris goona be killer. Are you going to a full back half or are you just gonna mini tub?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure GasCan...I never had power steering on the 82 Camaro and that was just plain stupid driving it. A guy has all that power and what the hell is robbing 10 HP gonna do at the end of the day rather than having to crank a manual steering wheel?! Your right...I would definatly go with Power steering...your caris goona be killer. Are you going to a full back half or are you just gonna mini tub?

electric power steering is worth looking into

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago my Brother and I built a 66 Caprice Classic with 454 topped off with a Dyers 6:71 blower. The engine was fresh, very stock, with if memeory serves me correct, with a Comp Cams 272 hydralic. 2:56 gears man the thing was Ok out of the hole but would top end in the scary zone. The BIG Chevy wasn't EVER designed to go how ever fast it went. The cool factor form a cruise throught "The Dub" was great I hope you enjoy your project as much as we enjoyed the Big White Beast. If I can scan a pic, I will try to post it. Enjoy!!!! Oh... Your cruising budget will be with tires not fuel (Large fun factor)

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What a wounderful way to spend $50 large. 871 x 421 + ton O fuel = ???? HP wise?

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
What a wounderful way to spend $50 large. 871 x 421 + ton O fuel = ???? HP wise?

The 421 naturally aspirated builds 600hp. With the blower underdriven 10% and a smaller cam, this thing should make in the 750-800hp range when all done and said. I guess there's always more on the table if I need it. Gonna run about 8lbs boost on 8:5.1 compression. It all equals FUN!

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's awesome its going to be a sweet ride cant wait to see the finished pics :d

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Figured I'd post an update for you gearheads out there. I bought the blower last week and it's an 871 Weiand. Since then I've been back and forth on the build...until today that is. Pulled the pin on a 565ci build and the motor is being built by none other that Doug Herbert (Top Fuel F/C Driver) at Herbert Performance in Charlotte. He's also the son of famed camshaft guru Chet Herbert and aside from building me a killer big block, he's gonna grind me a nice custom solid roller billet camshaft.

Engine build includes; Dart Big M Billet 9.80 x 4.600 block, Lunati Ultra 4.250 Crank, Oliver Billet 6.385 MX Rods, JE Blower Pistons 8.5:1, Herbert Custom Solid Roller 725/710 with 265/280 @ .050 on 112 LSA, Dart 345cc Pro 1 Heads, Stainless Rockers w/ Girdle, and much more. Gonna top it with the 871 blower and it should make in excess of 1000hp when the dust settles. Car is going out to get back halved with a 4-link in a couple weeks and will be back together for the spring.

Should make a nice little grocery getter! :p

Attachments

• 565Blown.jpg
    565Blown.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 86

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i miss my ol 55..it had a 350 with a tunnel ram and 2 650 holley double pumpers. and after i killed that the 454 went in..then that purdy much blew up everthing else..got any pics of yer 55..mine was a red 210 sedan with power windows(someone put them in)..when i sold it ..it still had the hole in the hood where the tunnel ram stuck thu..mmmmmm i wonder where it is todaymmm?

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
i miss my ol 55..it had a 350 with a tunnel ram and 2 650 holley double pumpers. and after i killed that the 454 went in..then that purdy much blew up everthing else..got any pics of yer 55..mine was a red 210 sedan with power windows(someone put them in)..when i sold it ..it still had the hole in the hood where the tunnel ram stuck thu..mmmmmm i wonder where it is todaymmm?
\

Here's a few recent ones before I started tearing her down for the rebuild. The engine shown is the crate motor that I just pulled out of it to make room for the BB build.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 76

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he's a good ole school kinda guy....love the raised white letters to the outside...only us good ole hot rodders do that ! lol

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Decided to go all out with the Shoebox and the body's about to come off the frame. Not only will it see 1000hp with the new motor, but the rear is now getting a 4-bar diff setup with a new Currie 9" locker shortened to fit the car with 13.5" slicks. Here's some of the other goodies going into this monster build.

CPP Power Steering
WCCW Big Block Headers
WCCW 4-Bar Rear Suspension
WCCW Currie 9" Detroit Locker Narrowed Diff
and a whole bunch more stuff

Attachments

• Headers.jpg
    Headers.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Mini-tub-4.jpg
    Mini-tub-4.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 50