boosted motor rebuild?

sarem

Reaction score
So iv got just over 3000km on the motor in my tss instaboost. Still runs fine. Whats opinion out there on when to rebuild. And if so, is it worth putting in aftermarket rods. Still hav 125 psi on clutch side. Cant get tester threaded on other side without more dismantling. motor has rarely or even never been backfired or overrevvd. Learned to avoid that on first motor! Imo if you can get 3000km plus on just stock, id just stay that way.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Etec? Have heard of a few rods breaking under boost. Might not be a bad thing to put after market ones in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8000km + on my 2013 xm aerocharged @ 8lbs. Still going strong. I would just do stock pistons. Check crank and go from there. Im not going to rebuild mine, i'm goint to run it till it pops. I have a used low mileage 2014 short block waiting in the wings for that day..

sarem

Reaction score
Im running 20% fuel duty. Seems about six psi. When connecting rods break how do u tell if they actually failed or if base gasket failed and motor hydrolocked

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on crank runout and compression. Watch for change is best bet IMO. I think doing top ends base on Km is a bit too random to pick any one number and can just lead to problems. I have over 6300 km with the last 1500 on boost. My runout has been 6-7 thou since I started checking but has never changed. I started checking at 2500 km. New is supposed to be under 2.5 but I'm sure some are more even from factory. I have never had a problem. A friend bone stock blew his at 4000 and his run out was less than 2 so there you go. I am super diligent about warmup. IMO that is key to motor longevity.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rods would be a big concern for rebuilding, keep under seven lbs if running stock, had a buddy at the end of season that boost was over ten, ran great till end of day, then it popped.. The rods just don't take that load

chad006

Reaction score
Honestly for what it's worth there's no way in hell I'd run stock rods in a T etec ever again. I tossed a rod at 7lbs AV gas mixed doo semi synthetic in at 50-1 and turned oiler up at dealer with vanes setup lazy at 4.25 turns solely for less load at lower rpms. Sled never missed a beat for two seasons, then tossed rod halfway through a over the hood day deep in the alpine. It took 12hrs for me and a couple buddies to pull it out was the closest I've ever come to a chopper ride. Have a 1000km on new setup with forged rods so far so good. I say do rods as part of a boost build on an etec.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree!! i tossed a rod on mine with 800km on it running 5-6lb. now have the linderman crank rod setup she is working strong. Its way cheaper to do the rods first, rather then
new short block and the rods trust me.

Top Bottom