Boondocker Turbo Set-up

PolarisAssault91

Reaction score
Snowchecked an assault last season an had nothing but smiles all year with it ran great surprised with stock output until I got rear ended unfortunately.
Anyways road it the rest of the year with a banged up tunnel, tunnel had a good kink in it from back of seat to rear of sled. Began the tear-down this summer an realized the extent of work involved.
Considering that the sled was going to be in a thousand pieces I decided be a good time to spool her up.
I have heard great success in 2 stroke turbos an they have come a long way reliability wise with correct tuning.
Now my questions begin as this is first hand dealing with a turbo. BD w/intercooler will be running as low as 3500-8000ft
-Want to run 6-8psi pump gas if possible (91oct)
-Wheres a good starting point tuning wise (Lo Mid Hi)
New clutch spring/weights to be installed
Also purchased the e key timing as I hear it helps with bottom end power/ det issues
What are you guys running? what works? open for details
Bottom line just want a reliable turn key sled don't want to have to tune each ride out.
Any insight would be great hope to have er up an running in the next month.

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dynojet wideband]with autotune and an egt setup, youll have to do some tuning, those will help immensely

PolarisAssault91

Reaction score
Well got mostly everything all buttoned up just need some snow to fall and will be able to dial it in
Will start at 4#'s an work up from there. Heres some pics;
20121029_105111.jpg

20121025_170346.jpg

20121029_105159.jpg

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Did you use an A/F gauge or E.G.T's. If not, it will be difficult to tune. The starting numbers boondocker gives you are usually close, but it will require some tuning (every machine is different). If this is your first turbo spend some time reading the manual and understand how the fuel controler functions, it will make your life way easier when you hit the hill. Also, I would make sure the wires going into the back of the EBC have lots of play, as they don't take much abuse (I found out the hard way). Enjoy.

PolarisAssault91

Reaction score
Have been looking for a AFR gauge but haven't had any luck finding one in BC lower mainland might have to order one in. Choosing the AFR gauge as it seems to be a more effective tuning tool. It is my first turbo will be easing into tuning an will eventually make my own map once comfortable with the system. Thanks for the input!

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have been looking for a AFR gauge but haven't had any luck finding one in BC lower mainland might have to order one in. Choosing the AFR gauge as it seems to be a more effective tuning tool. It is my first turbo will be easing into tuning an will eventually make my own map once comfortable with the system. Thanks for the input!
Dons speed parts sells Afx air fuel gauges Nice big display and last forever. I believe they are under 400. He ships anywhere and bus would be cheap

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would agree that an A/F should be easier to tune from, I used a an Innovate on the 2012 Pro I had last year. However, they will drive you crazy with sporatic readings unless you are pulling at an even RPM and load. The other down side is the Pro does not have an excess of electrical output and A/F gauges usually have to heat the sensor meaning at idle and lower RPM's the gauges won't function. That said they are cheaper and good tuning can be achieved from either it just comes down to personal preference. This year I will be running KOSO EGT's on my 2013.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are into that sled for almost 20g........ screw it, run egt's and a a/f guage. I liked having both to cross reference eachother 400$ for a/f and 500$ for a dual window digitron thats pretty cheap piece of mind!!!

PolarisAssault91

Reaction score
These new pros don`t have enough electrical output to run both otherwise it`s a no brainer. The two auxiliary outputs they have BD is running one for the intercooler fan an one for the turbo oil pump. I just spliced into the one intercooler fan to install my af gauge then replaced 2 amp fuse with a 10 amp. Anymore than that the stator wont provide enough current to run all. Many of the threads I read as long as your af ratio is good then chances are egts are also at a good level unless you hold it wot for 5 mins....Time will tell

Bonebreaker

Reaction score
I just put a Innovate MTXL A/F gauge in. Going to try it tomorrow. I called BD and they told me to place the sensor just after the turbo before the ball. I had a shop weld it in. I am going to take your advice and power up off the fan. 12V DC. BD converts AC there, they said to go ahead and use that. They also told me to unplug the power to the gauge once you are tuned. I am going to try it out Sunday. Curious how your tuning has been going. I am going to be riding in 3500-7000 mostly

Last edited:

PolarisAssault91

Reaction score
I just put a Innovate MTXL A/F gauge in. Going to try it tomorrow. I called BD and they told me to place the sensor just after the turbo before the ball. I had a shop weld it in. I am going to take your advice and power up off the fan. 12V DC. BD converts AC there, they said to go ahead and use that. They also told me to unplug the power to the gauge once you are tuned. I am going to try it out Sunday. Curious how your tuning has been going. I am going to be riding in 3500-7000 mostly
Yup exactly where I had my sensor welded too, Been out once since the install an all I can say is wow your going to love it! Just make sure you replace the 2amp with a 10amp fuse otherwise may overload. Ran the numbers boondocker had installed on my module ran flawlessly all day 5-8# on straight av gas. As for unplugging the sensor I would have to disagree, nice to have when your changing elevations throughout the day an a 50$ sensor is a great peace of mind. Clutching was bang on with new helix,weights, primary an secondary springs pulling 8200. A/F was somewhat lean throughout the midrange which is expected but richened that up going back out tmrw i'll try an post a video.

Top Bottom