Boondocker or Etec Aerocharger?

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am considering a turbo for my Etec. Not looking to run 10+ pounds of boost, I'm just looking for more, reliable power. Aerochargers variable vane setup sounds sweet, but Garrett has proven reliability. Just looking for suggestions, opinions and experiences on which setup and why. Any info is great. Thanks.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This comment is in no way my opinion on the entire company,installer or tuner.....but......in my experience (buddy's m1000)aerocharger=engine dynamite. 4 turbo's and 5 engines all set up by a very well known builder. AC has a great idea on paper imo but a true boost set up will come from BD. The best thing that could happen for boosted doo's imo is if boost-it(neil-mclaren)(spelling<sorry)built an etec kit. And he seems busy enough that it will unfortunately probably not happen.not that I'm an authorirty but other than the hillclimb circuit I'm yet to see a good running t-doo. Someday maybe

• Thanks
Reactions: NM

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This comment is in no way my opinion on the entire company,installer or tuner.....but......in my experience (buddy's m1000)aerocharger=engine dynamite. 4 turbo's and 5 engines all set up by a very well known builder. AC has a great idea on paper imo but a true boost set up will come from BD. The best thing that could happen for boosted doo's imo is if boost-it(neil-mclaren)(spelling<sorry)built an etec kit. And he seems busy enough that it will unfortunately probably not happen.not that I'm an authorirty but other than the hillclimb circuit I'm yet to see a good running t-doo. Someday maybe

Top secret shop does high end etec turbos using Boost it controllers. They work amazing.

ShortBus

Reaction score
Aerocharger has never made a kit for the M1000. Check out their website there isn't one.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Definitely going to inquire at Top Secret.

I was in the same boat you were in about 2 weeks ago, I looked at the aerocharger, I looked at the boondocker, and both of them and the rumors around them scared me. It seemed there is either a lot of horror stories about them or their kit doesnt have something vital. Long story short i have a deposit down for a turbo for my XM at The Top Secret Shop. Everyone i talk to about their etec turbo kits say nothing but good things. and whenever you hear people watching the micku boys on their TSS Turbo Etecs all you ever here is "those things pull hard". I was looking for the exact same thing, lower boost just good reliable power.

I'm going with TSS for that reason, but a warning with any etec turbo, you better be running av gas or a mix.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we just took off a boost it garrette trask conversion kit, and will sell if anyone intrested from tss

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat you were in about 2 weeks ago, I looked at the aerocharger, I looked at the boondocker, and both of them and the rumors around them scared me. It seemed there is either a lot of horror stories about them or their kit doesnt have something vital. Long story short i have a deposit down for a turbo for my XM at The Top Secret Shop. Everyone i talk to about their etec turbo kits say nothing but good things. and whenever you hear people watching the micku boys on their TSS Turbo Etecs all you ever here is "those things pull hard". I was looking for the exact same thing, lower boost just good reliable power.

I'm going with TSS for that reason, but a warning with any etec turbo, you better be running av gas or a mix.

Running race fuel seems like such a pain. Is the whole idea behind race fuel to keep it running cool? I'm looking for the 5-7, maybe 8 pounds of boost. I suppose if a guy is willing to invest that much on a turbo, then what the hell is a little extra for race fuel?

Aerocharger_jerry

Reaction score

To clarify, Aerocharger never produced a kit for the M1000, but our turbo was available for a while through a distributor to Arctic Cat kit builders. A improperly designed kit is going to be bad for sleds no matter which turbo is on it, and this was a big reason why Aerocharger began to build our own turbo systems.

Dooitorbust - We appreciate your interest in the Aerocharger E-TEC system, it's a well built kit that we're proud of. If you want an expert opinion about our system, you might give Felker Motorsports or Mountain Magic a call. These guys have years of experience tuning turbo sleds, and have had much success with our equipment.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason for running race gas or av gas is to stop pre detonation.

mctrailboss

Reaction score
i love my aerocharger kit, running great and the guys at aerocharger have been there everytime to help with my questions. setup was a piece of cake and I don't have to fiddle with it all the time.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
out with a xm tss kit last week, engine and turbo ran well, but skid and track speed were not the best, for 10 pounds, bbs were having their way with it

TSS kits are running awesome. Top notch stuff, and will run guaranteed.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
out with a xm tss kit last week, engine and turbo ran well, but skid and track speed were not the best, for 10 pounds, bbs were having their way with it

To say Big Bores were having their way with it would be a little bit of an embellishment. It did run great not one problem all weekend. Running against a group of sleds that mostly consisted 174 x 3" tracks and almost all Racer's edge skids it's tough to really compare exactly what is going on.

I definitely need to do something to keep the front end down and keep the 6' deep trenches to a minimum. I think the track speed is there but it's also a matter of getting up on the learning curve to ride this damn thing. I've had limited experience in the past riding turbo'd sleds but I'll get it all sorted out. It's gonna be a good winter! :beer:

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After doing a little more homework, I think I'm going to go with TSS kit in the new year. Just wondering if they did your install, if it was worth it, and what your price tag was.. If you don't mind me asking.
Thanks.

They charged me $8k plus tax for the full system installed. The only "extra" that they have is they offer a pipe if your stock pipe begins to develop holes from the pressure. I've been told the quality of the stock pipes these last two years has been better than previous years.

For me the install was worth it. They do a great job if you check out Destroyer's thread on snowest it has pictures of the install but generally it's all very clean and well put together. Brandon and Dave also offered to come out for the first ride to make sure I was happy with the kit and that I understood how to make adjustments. Also I've talked to Dave on a couple of occasions about questions I have and they are always available!

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They charged me $8k plus tax for the full system installed. The only "extra" that they have is they offer a pipe if your stock pipe begins to develop holes from the pressure. I've been told the quality of the stock pipes these last two years has been better than previous years.

For me the install was worth it. They do a great job if you check out Destroyer's thread on snowest it has pictures of the install but generally it's all very clean and well put together. Brandon and Dave also offered to come out for the first ride to make sure I was happy with the kit and that I understood how to make adjustments. Also I've talked to Dave on a couple of occasions about questions I have and they are always available!

Dave says leave the Reeds alone! haha I was talking to him when i dropped my sled off. Have you had any issues with the stock reeds? or is everything still good?

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was hoping the pipe would be included in that price. If they're willing to come for a test ride and teach a guy how to use the Boost-it system, then that is worth it to me as well. Salmon Arm is a long drive but great customer service is hard to come by anymore. Thanks again for the input.

Top Bottom