Boil/heat water on a sled

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to make a setup to boil/heat water on a sled.

best thing I could come up with is some handlebar heaters (60watt) strapped for a stainless water container.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The obvious answer is pack a jetboil in the tunnel bag. Otherwise a sledshed cooker can would likely boil water but you would need to seal the lid a bit better to avoid slop and still allow steam to vent, probably a bead of silicone.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The obvious answer is pack a jetboil in the tunnel bag. Otherwise a sledshed cooker can would likely boil water but you would need to seal the lid a bit better to avoid slop and still allow steam to vent, probably a bead of silicone.

yea I don’t have a tunnel bag. Very minimalist approach to sledding.

i was thinking a cooker with silicone might work. But like noted the venting.

gatta be a system of some sort

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your sled has a battery maybe one of those 12v kettles would work. I have one in my KW, takes about 10 mins to boil a litre of water. other than that, pack a small pot and build a fire?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be looking at a way to use heat from the coolant loop, electric will be painfully slow. Granted the coolant wouldn't boil the water, but it would be enough to warm up someone when cold.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just get a jetboil. If u get small fuel cylinder it fits in the container along with the burner. Takes up minimum space. Could probably make an under hood bracket to hold it for storage if u really short on room.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea I don’t have a tunnel bag. Very minimalist approach to sledding.

i was thinking a cooker with silicone might work. But like noted the venting.

gatta be a system of some sort
At the risk of getting flamed, here’s my thought: If you don’t want a tunnel bag, make damn sure you are wearing a pack large enough to carry ALL the essentials to survive 2 days/nights in the backcountry, including a first aid kit that contains ore then a band-aid. In the thirty plus years I’ve been playing in the hills, My biggest challenge has been storage, or the lack of it. Be prepared for the worst, cause it can happen. I’m not preaching - I don’t carry a SPOT, satellite phone, or GPS. But I do carry a compass, map, first aid kit, and winter survival gear, and I know how to use all of it. My vote goes to carrying a small pot and a can of sterno to boil water.
Consider this: batteries die quickly in the cold, electronic equipment can fail at any time, and SAR isn’t always available...

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the risk of getting flamed, here’s my thought: If you don’t want a tunnel bag, make damn sure you are wearing a pack large enough to carry ALL the essentials to survive 2 days/nights in the backcountry, including a first aid kit that contains ore then a band-aid. In the thirty plus years I’ve been playing in the hills, My biggest challenge has been storage, or the lack of it. Be prepared for the worst, cause it can happen. I’m not preaching - I don’t carry a SPOT, satellite phone, or GPS. But I do carry a compass, map, first aid kit, and winter survival gear, and I know how to use all of it. My vote goes to carrying a small pot and a can of sterno to boil water.
Consider this: batteries die quickly in the cold, electronic equipment can fail at any time, and SAR isn’t always available...
No flaming intended, Why don't you carry a communication device? They take up no space and could mean getting help in hours not days.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No flaming intended, Why don't you carry a communication device? They take up no space and could mean getting help in hours not days.
You make a good point - I should. I suppose I’m a bit stubborn in my old age. I wear a avy pack, though I stay clear of terrain traps, etc. I hope to never have to deploy it...

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let’s try and keep the thread on topic, not really interested in your survival stuff

Everything still to bulky, I like the sled coolant deal.

doing some leg work ‘Barocook’ makes a flameless heating product. They have large cooking pouches which you could put the meal pack in and boil the contents from the outside. Pretty cool. Pouches and meal packs take up less space than most items. Works the same as a MRE.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
Let’s try and keep the thread on topic, not really interested in your survival stuff

doing some leg work ‘Barocook’ makes a flameless heating product. They have large cooking pouches which you could put the meal pack in and boil the contents from the outside. Pretty cool. Pouches and meal packs take up less space than most items. Works the same as a MRE.

Where have you seen them
The stores have lots of pre made meals that you just boil in the pack like roast beef and gravy

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure how the barocook is any less bulky then a jet boil?? For my sheep hunts I use an MSR titanium burner with a small mug, packs up smaller and lighter then a jet boil.

Last edited:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a CFR rack with a dime bag set up for a linq system. Load it up with thermoses(one soup, one coffee, one water), snacks and gear. When I get to the goods I can detach it and rip.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Could you not just cook a meal pouch in a muff pot.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the exact same thing at first, but I believe the end goal is zero added weight to the sled once the pelican is dropped at the gas drop in the AM.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i would agree with that but most are larger than a muff pot and require water to cook them.

have to look at that a little closer, mayby just pour half the contents in the thing with water and make a meal. still need to seal the lid because of the water.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
Picked up this to try
41f59d60b3f404e5b8d8e8358895887d.jpg

Top Bottom