Bogging issue on a 2002 summit 800

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been working on my 02 zx summit 800 it will start up decent and seems to run good however when you punch the throttle there is a hesitation/bog breifly then it opens up great. I put new plugs in it and drove it around for about an hour and they were a perfect creamy brown colour. I compression tested it and it was at 135 psi per cylinder. I ripped the carb apart on it and it looked brand new inside but i cleaned it anyways and put it back together. it still bogs!! I am getting sick of working on it by now anyone have any idea what it could be? all i can think of now is it has the thing can with basically no backpressure. Any help would be appreciated I wanna get this thing going good for my trip next weekend.

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah the pilot jets seemed excellent the carbs were very clean internally and I will have to check the voltage tonight after football is over. Also when you decelerate then get back on the throttle it gets the small bog aswell. I hope I can figure it out tonight.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also check the carb boots really good for cracks or leaks! If you have sacked springs in primary or secondary would cause a low end bog, clean clutch good and inspect! And did you move your fuel screw if it's to rich off the start it would cause a bog,

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When it's bogging try flipping the choke a bit to see if it gets worse or better, it will help give you an idea if its a lean or rich bog. I had a similar issue with my 02. Ended up changing out the reeds as they were shot, and I put some different needles in the carbs.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check reeds and carb boots as mentioned already. If good, change pilot jets from 17.5 to 20. or adjust your mixture screw. Always ran #20 pilots in my 800's.

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok so it is now fixed switched main jets from 480s to 430s and it cleaned right up thanks for all the info people!

Top Bottom