Body of last avalanche victim found

moto.racerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canadian Press

December 30, 2008 at 2:33 PM EST

FERNIE, B.C. — The body of the eighth and final victim of a series of deadly avalanches in southeastern B.C. has been recovered.

Daniel Bjarnason was in a group of 11 snowmobilers who set out Sunday from Sparwood, B.C., en route to Revelstoke.

An avalanche hit some of the group members near Fernie.

Other group members came to their aid and were hit by a second avalanche.
Randy Roberts, father-in-law of avalanche victim Danny Bjarnason, speaks to the media about eight dead snowmobilers in Fernie, B.C., Tuesday.

Randy Roberts, father-in-law of avalanche victim Danny Bjarnason, speaks to the media about eight dead snowmobilers in Fernie, B.C., Tuesday. (The Canadian Press)
Videos
00:00:00.000

Eight B.C. snowmobilers trapped in avalanche

There are an unknown number of fatalities in connection with an slide that occurred near Fernie, B.C. Sunday night, according to the RCMP

Play Video

Search resumes for missing snowmobiliers

More than 15 avalanche technicians are being transported by helicopter to the scene

Play Video

One man still missing

CTV Newsnet: The search for the last man missing after two avalanches will resume Tuesday morning, ahead of another storm expected in the area

Play Video
00:09:40

RCMP on the six confirmed dead

The bodies of six people have been dug out from underneath an avalanche in Fernie, B.C. Two others are still missing.

Play Video
Related Articles

Recent

* 'Each and every one of us know them'
* Buried men wore satellite distress transmitters
* A crack, slide and a desperate dig

The Globe and Mail

Three members of the group managed to dig themselves out and walk to safety before more snow came crashing down, but eight men were buried.

Mr. Bjarnason's body was recovered by search-and-rescue personnel using probes, with some assistance from one of the survivors, Jeff Adams, who helped pinpoint the location.

More to come

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My heart just aches for the families in Sparwood.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It brings tears to my eyes and a chill down my spine. Can't imagine the pain that the family, friends and town is feeing right now. My thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathy goes out to all that are involved.

Top Bottom