Boat pricing

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking for Boat for about 8 months 17 to 18' 4.3l in board or out board 115hp plus 1996 or newer. Is it just me or are used boat pricing out to lunch. Some of the prices out there for used boats for few grand more you could buy new one. Just looking for some insight on the subject. Haven't been into the boating world that much so maybe they hold there value that well. Have been looking down in the States and there sure alot cheaper down there used. Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks in advance.

Apex162

Reaction score
I have heard of some good prices on boats in the Kelowna B.C. area.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pricing is whacked same as the pickups trucks & sleds also. I just got a pickup on Monday after two months of BS pricing from private guys and dealers. got it for $2500.00 to $4000.000 cheaper than some of the crap I had been looking at, take your time I did and it finally paid off. Or go to the USA

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what i have seen the price has come down a bit from a year ago alot more desperate sellers out there. deffinatly cheaper in the usa but make sure you have all the papers for the boat and trailer or you may have trouble brining it back. I also found that they hold there value fairly well. they have low hours as used seasonaly and are mostly all fiberglass now so no rot. longer life then a car. you can get finacing up to 15 years on a boat. depending on the year. what price range are you looking to spend for a boat?

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a friend by a boat out of alberta for $15,000 cheaper then in Kelowna because the dealrship needed to unload it asap. brand new with waranty. there are good deals out there take the time to look around. castanet is good for used boat ads

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out www.iboats.com for boats and anything you may need, buddy bought a lower leg for 1200.00 cheaper than he could get it local. They also sell new and used ones also on this site..

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
keep shopping the deals are out there just have to be watching all he time...kijiji has some pretty good deal sometimes....people who just need them gone.......i will say i have found this fall prices seemed to go up a bit rather than down for end of seaons......i watch boats quite a bit myself looking for that "perfect boat, and a great deal" passed up a few due to lack of $ at the time but keep looking......i've also found as far as BC goes they have better deals depending on the boat boats with cabins are a little cheaper due to bc having alot more of them around, smaller speed/ski/fishing boats not a huge difference from AB.....US is def. you better deals.....bringing back across the boarder i have heard is no big deal...make sure you have your ducks in a row before you go down and all will be fine

trailrider

Reaction score
If you are looking for a new boat (non current year) you can save a bunndle. I picked up a new 06 in april of 07 for about $8000 less than the 07 was selling for, and about $4000 less than a same year used. You just have to wait till they get the new ones in. As far as used boats go they seem to sell for a lot less in areas closer to the boarder, check around southern manitoba or sask. if you can. My brother lives in man. and says the used boats are alot cheaper there then around Alberta. He was checking for me when I bought mine in 07, I was going to buy used till I found this one at the 07 boat show. Try Free Spirit Marine they treated us like GOLD with service and one warranty isue. Trailrider

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CrankyApe for sure.
But you'll see some pretty decent pricing out of Shipwreck in Edmonton and had bought mine there. They usually put on some great pricing before the Boat and RV show. FourWinns or Glastron are your best bet for fit and finish.
Campion are heavier, Bayliner are the VW's of the boating world, nice to look at but too many options missing.

I would definately advise against a 4.3L 135Hp. They don't come in the 115hp you mention and you'll be glad they don't. The 135Hp are a dog and you would have trouble pulling a Five of Diamonds trolling.
Jump up to a 190Hp, 4.3L or even the Fuel Injected 5.0L and you won't be disapointed.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Drove dwon to Portland Oregon last October and picked up a Mastercraft X2 for $20,000 less then it was advertised here. A breeze across the boarder as we let them know we were coming...invested about 34 hours behind the wheel to get it....well worth the trip!!!

Mike&Boat-Portland.jpg

Jake

Reaction score
I found most used prices are high. Bought a new boat in August a couple years ago when the dollar was higher like it is now, for less money than people were asking for the same boat used. The boat we bought was 6,000.00 less here than in Kelowna, the second choice boat was 4,000.00 less in Kelowna. Bought at Shipwreck for price, service is less than spectacular.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Went to penticton for mine.... Like plio said boats with a cabin are few and far between in AB therfore more $$$$$$..... too bad you didn't catch RETODD's thread in July/Aug.... THAT WAS A NICE BOAT, and by the sounds of it just what you are after. My advise is keep looking and don't settle, as soon as you do "the one" will pop up....
Craigslist montana has lots of boats at good prices

I picked up mine in BC for I'd guess 10K cheaper than would have cost me here....

5.jpg

tredeb

Reaction score
I agree with the previous poster get a 190hp minimum for an inboard. the worst mistake of boat buyers is underpowering your boat. No matter what anyone says, 130hp is not enough power in anything over 16 feet.

You may also want to do some homework before you purchase. Last I heard, Genmar, the maker of Glastron and Fourwinns was in receivership. They are good boats if you buy used, but not sure how or if warrantee will be affected.

Another point that was mentioned. Not all boats are created equal, don't compare prices on a used crownline to a new bayliner. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

do yourself a favour and search shipwreck marine. As mentioned, service seems questionable.

FWIW, I have a 2007 Alumacraft w/ a 150hp etec

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
A 4.3L carbed is 190horse. The MPI (fuel injected) 4.3L is 220 hp. Like previously stated .... more is better. :beer::beer:

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad bough a Boat this summer got a 09 Bayliner 195 with 200Hp Inboard. Has the Sport Package on it Paid 23,000 off the show room floor Tax in.

Deals are out there just gotta look.

Top Bottom