Boat polishing

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats the best product for bringing back the shine to an old gel coat with heavy oxidation?

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my boat had pretty bad oxidation, this spring i just waxed it with Flagship Premium wax, i purchased at Canadian Tire and got a power polisher, it took about 2 hours but she now shines.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on how bad it is, either wet sand or cut polish.
From the picture it appears "not bad".
Heavy duty scrubbing and power polish should be all that's needed.
You got any buddies working down the road at Campion? That would be the place to get polish from.

koby

I was just goin' say, depends how bad. Just be careful if wet sanding as the gel is thinner than you think and use proper tools and technics.

As a top coat i sure like the brand NuFinish in the bright orange bottle sold a C.T. or Wally world, easy to work with and shines nicely.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip I picked up some of maguirs flagship.
I tried 3m heavy rubbing compoud and magauirs light rubbing but its just didn't shine like a clear coat polishes up.
the bottom of the boat looked great but the top was chalky
I have nerver polished a boat before just cars.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am using a cheap orbital polisher does the more expensive variable speed make a hugh diffrence?

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i used meguires gel coat restoration kit and :):):) WOW i cant belive my 1980 hondo drag boat looks like new my buddy used a variable speed power polisher on it :d:d:d

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and yeah take the crappy tire polisher and throw it as far in the bush as u can and get a real variable polisher it will look like a side grinder :):):)

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I also used Mequire's. First the cutting agent, then the polish and finally the sealer.
I have a 1979 Cobra that was extremely oxidized and had some paint damage. It went from really dull and ugly to very acceptable and shiny.
Toss the Can Tire stuff, use a variable speed polisher. Take your time and you will be amazed.

#1 - Taking the windshield off - note the oxidation on the grey where the windshield is.
#2 - First round of cutting Mequire's cutting agent. Note how much more shine there is on the grey. In my case I had to use the cutting agent 3 times to get where I wanted to.
#3 - Here is a before shot of the transom
#4 - The after shot. She's got some shine agian.

Attachments

• attachment0.jpg
    attachment0.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 134
  • attachment1.jpg
    attachment1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 132
  • attachment3.jpg
    attachment3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 132
  • attachment4.jpg
    attachment4.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 135

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty amazing SBR, I have some oxidation on my boat as well and will try that method. Question; how do you know how many times you use the cutting agent to "get to where you want"?
Did you get all your supplies at crappy tire? I buy my maquires car polish and such from there but haven't looked into these products. :beer::d:beer:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip I picked up some of maguirs flagship.
I tried 3m heavy rubbing compoud and magauirs light rubbing but its just didn't shine like a clear coat polishes up.
the bottom of the boat looked great but the top was chalky
I have nerver polished a boat before just cars.

Nice boat btw Reaper. Looks like its from California ... can see why it has some oxidation salt and sun are hard on boats. Good luck with the polish! :beer::d:beer:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I bought mine (Mequire's) from a Canoe Manufacture here in Edmonton...can't recall the name right now.
As you cut the oxidation you are continually wiping it with a clean cloth and you can see where it is still murky and where it's getting better. Some spots took a lot of work and others went real fast. Patients it the key to this project. Because mine was in such poor shape it took me roughly 50 hours to finish.
The previous owner saw it when it was completed and he just about crapped himself.
We are in the process of recovering the seats (should be done next week) and next year I will probably do new rug. It will still be an old boat, classic actually, and at least I will have pride in what I've done to it.,
Thats pretty amazing SBR, I have some oxidation on my boat as well and will try that method. Question; how do you know how many times you use the cutting agent to "get to where you want"?
Did you get all your supplies at crappy tire? I buy my maquires car polish and such from there but haven't looked into these products. :beer::d:beer:

Attachments

• IMG_6957_2.jpg
    IMG_6957_2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6964_1_1.jpg
    IMG_6964_1_1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_7231.jpg
    IMG_7231.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 55

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man your boat looks great. its amazimg what you can do with an old gel coat.
did you use a cut polish and then wax? what was the shine like after the polish. My boat is no longer chalky and now has a dull shinebut isn't really shiny yet. Do you think it needs more polishing to shine or did the shine really come out when you waxed?

I bought mine (Mequire's) from a Canoe Manufacture here in Edmonton...can't recall the name right now.
As you cut the oxidation you are continually wiping it with a clean cloth and you can see where it is still murky and where it's getting better. Some spots took a lot of work and others went real fast. Patients it the key to this project. Because mine was in such poor shape it took me roughly 50 hours to finish.
The previous owner saw it when it was completed and he just about crapped himself.
We are in the process of recovering the seats (should be done next week) and next year I will probably do new rug. It will still be an old boat, classic actually, and at least I will have pride in what I've done to it.,

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Its my first boat and it came out of the usa. I bought it at a dealership in bc that was a nightmare but thats a diffrent story. Hoping to finish polishing it this weekend.

Top Bottom