boat launch etiquette

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One time while unloading at Cow Lake by Rocky, the friggin boat wouldn't come off the trailer. I was frustrated, and half hollarin at the wife who was backing me in(she was dooin a great job), so we pull the boat back out only to find both straps holding the boat securely to the trailer. Some onlookers thought it was pretty funny, I ate my pride and laughed with them. FWIW I am waaaay better at the whole procedure nowadays

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got cut off by a dick towing his boat out of the marina in Penticton a few years ago. He got stopped at the first red light and I was right behind him scowling lol. Light turns green , he leaves, boat doesn't. Landed right there on the blacktop and he was three blocks away before he realized. Lol karma is a beotch !

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I got cut off by a dick towing his boat out of the marina in Penticton a few years ago. He got stopped at the first red light and I was right behind him scowling lol. Light turns green , he leaves, boat doesn't. Landed right there on the blacktop and he was three blocks away before he realized. Lol karma is a beotch !
It's not karma when you have your front winch line tied to the back of his boat. ;)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One time while unloading at Cow Lake by Rocky, the friggin boat wouldn't come off the trailer. I was frustrated, and half hollarin at the wife who was backing me in(she was dooin a great job), so we pull the boat back out only to find both straps holding the boat securely to the trailer. Some onlookers thought it was pretty funny, I ate my pride and laughed with them. FWIW I am waaaay better at the whole procedure nowadays

​LOL
I'm surprise the wife didn't get blamed, isn't that a mans way.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was tired of the boat launch sh!tshow so I waited until dusk to load once...my buddy offered to go and get the trailer from the parking area with my truck and meet me at the launch. so I agreed...he backs into the water, I cruise up onto the trailer and hook up the line...all good. give him the thumbs up to pull ahead and about halfway up the ramp the trailer comes unhooked from the ball because he didn't ensure it was fully on when he locked it down. the force straightened both sh!tty "S" shaped safety chain hooks (!?) and backwards into the water I go with the boat on the trailer. that was an uncomfortable feeling. the jack leg finally hung up in between a couple of the concrete slabs underwater and it stopped.

learned two lessons. never let anyone else hook up my trailer, and use good hooks for the safety chains.

glad I decided to load at dusk rather than put on a show for an audience.

mxzretta

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, took the afternoon off and went boating on the Shuswap yesterday. We launched in Sicamous. What a &hit show. For the life of me I don't understand how people are allowed to tow a boat and trailer but cant back up the damn thing. I had to get into one person's truck and back his trailer down the ramp otherwise I would still be there waiting to launch myself. In addition to this, not sure why people cant read signs but when it is clearly posted "only vehicles with trailers can park beyond this point" why on earth do single cars park there. Not to point fingers, but out of 6 cars illegally parked in the zone, all had AB plates. I am sure BC drivers are guilty too but come on people pretty hard to find parking for a truck and trailer as it is. End of my rant :cool:

Have you ever used the one on Mara in the provincial park? Good launch but a **** show if its busy. People parked where they shouldn't be and then you have the people who use it as swimming and play area. It seems like no matter where you go there are always idiots. And don't get me started on the wake boat idiots.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my first full boating year on the kook and I have seen lots of crap. The kook is fished hard for kokanee so I slow right down when going by the fishing boats. Lots of fishing guy use the smaller boats and stay near the shores. It's stupid how many of the larger wake boats fly at full speed by these smaller boats. Not sure why but they do.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my first full boating year on the kook and I have seen lots of crap. The kook is fished hard for kokanee so I slow right down when going by the fishing boats. Lots of fishing guy use the smaller boats and stay near the shores. It's stupid how many of the larger wake boats fly at full speed by these smaller boats. Not sure why but they do.

If they don't go close to you so you can see there white Oakleys and hear there tunes how are you going to know how cool they are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxzretta

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were out at Herald provincial park a couple weeks ago. And some idiot was loading all his supplies onto his sailboat on the ramp. There was a whole parking lot for him to park in and load his supplies. Just another idiot with no consideration. Gave him the stink eye a few times and he just smiled and waved. Good thing the wife was there to keep me calm.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not just boat launches there's no etiquette on the water. Lots of people were anchored watching the jetski races on crane lake and it was a continous stream of idiots. People tubing doing circles like 100 yards a way, so they make waves for all us spectators and racers. Then not one but two super air Nautiques throwing up 4 foot surf waves 50 ft away. Like wtf is wrong with people? The surf boats nowadays could easily capsize little fishing boats if the wave catches them sideways. The best part of this all was that the other end of the lake was empty all day. .

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about this douche bag park job! Right where you need to turn around!

Is that the north end of Coal lake? Spent a lot of time on that lake. Looks like crap at the launches but awesome when you get out a ways

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't need a boat to be inconsiderate. Love using the launch at south Gull lake with 20 guys fishing off the boat dock right beside the boat launch. It's a double wide launch but seems most people think it's a single. And the dock fisherman think the turn around is a parking lot for them.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that the north end of Coal lake? Spent a lot of time on that lake. Looks like crap at the launches but awesome when you get out a ways

Yah it is! Water is pretty clean a few hundred yards down.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the guys near Edmonton should go for a drive to the Devon boat launch. They made a nice new parking area for trucks and trailers. I was there last weekend. The car parking lot empty, the truck with trailers parking lot right full with cars lol. And it's signed really good stating truck and boats only.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
about 3 weeks ago I decided to pull into there and launch instead of Sicamous. Not a spot to be found to park truck/trailer and total disorganization for parking. Its one thing to be full but another to have a gong show with everyone only thinking of themselves and not others. There were even motorhomes parked with no boat trailers attached. I guess we have another 2 weeks and will have all the parking we want :)

Have you ever used the one on Mara in the provincial park? Good launch but a **** show if its busy. People parked where they shouldn't be and then you have the people who use it as swimming and play area. It seems like no matter where you go there are always idiots. And don't get me started on the wake boat idiots.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a decent experience at Canoe yesterday. There were some people struggling on the paved side with their pontoon due to low water levels so we setup for the dirt side and there was an SUV down there loading kayaks on the roof but they had actually pulled off to the side enough that the launch was still usable. Was blown away by actual common sense.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its amazing what can be achieved with some common sense! On a side note, Canoe launch sucks when water is low!

Had a decent experience at Canoe yesterday. There were some people struggling on the paved side with their pontoon due to low water levels so we setup for the dirt side and there was an SUV down there loading kayaks on the roof but they had actually pulled off to the side enough that the launch was still usable. Was blown away by actual common sense.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its amazing what can be achieved with some common sense! On a side note, Canoe launch sucks when water is low!
The dirt side is better when water is low but yes we should have launched at siccy as I nicked the prop loading out. FAWK

Top Bottom