Blue Green Algae Alerts

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
And here I was thinking that only Pigeon Lake was effected in Alberta.

Maybe our new License Plates need to read
"Land of the Dead Lakes"

u4avu9us.jpg

mitchmahar

Reaction score
ya the lakes are just gross around this area, really depressing, For the people around my area they will remember not all to long ago when thunder and even clear lake where not bad and had fish. all part of a cycle i guess, lakes die just like the rest of us lol

• Admin

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
ya the lakes are just gross around this area, really depressing, For the people around my area they will remember not all to long ago when thunder and even clear lake where not bad and had fish. all part of a cycle i guess, lakes die just like the rest of us lol

Good thing I spent all that money this year on a boat with a wake tower....it's now a very expensive fishing boat.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Good thing I spent all that money this year on a boat with a wake tower....it's now a very expensive fishing boat.

I'll put a hitch on the back of the RV and take your fancy wake boat north with me this weekend..... No worries, I'll make sure it works good!

• Admin

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Normally we spend time at Pigeon and Buffalo.....staying at Buffalo so far, hopefully the algae clears up....

Read a report and though it was triggered by heat but it's trigger is UV rays, we get lots of those so it looks like it's her to stay.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am from Barrhead area to and remember when those lakes where good. Now I don't think you can even launch a boat in thunder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[h=3]Had heard that the older more established lakes with lots of populated the shore line that used to allow ground draining out house's are more suseptalble as the algae seem to thrive on the bacteria....

Found this on the interweb....

Blue-green algae are not true algae, but are more properly photosynthetic bacteria and can also be called cyanobacteria.

Blue-green algae (cyanobacteria)[/h][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]There are two types of toxins produced by strains of blue-green algae:[/SIZE][/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Neurotoxins affect the nervous and respiratory systems and can cause muscle tremors, stupor, staggering, rapid paralysis, respiratory failure and — often within 30 minutes — death. Most frequently, animals are found dead close to the lake or pond. [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Hepato-toxins affect the liver and cause a slow death, up to 36 hours or longer after drinking water contaminated with toxic strains of blue-green algae. The animals appear ill, may show jaundice (yellowing of the mucous membranes or the white of the eye), photo-sensitization (swelling and fluid under the skin, which may peel, especially in the unpigmented areas), or severe scouring. [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]When blue-green algal blooms occur, huge numbers of algae accumulate on the surface of lakes and ponds resembling thick pea soup and are often blue-green in colour. Although blooms occur naturally, water bodies which have been enriched
with plant nutrients from municipal, industrial and agricultural sources are particularly susceptible.

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Do not wade or swim in water containing visible blooms.
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]If blooms are present, do not allow livestock or pets access to the affected water. Alternative sources of drinking water for livestock and pets should be provided. [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Blooms intensify in non-moving or stagnant water. If possible, natural blockages in creeks flowing into or out of the water body should be removed to encourage the free flow of water. [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Divert surface runoff from livestock feedlots away from streams and lakes. Blooms flourish from runoff flowing through animal waste. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]

Last year saw lots of people out on Pigeon while the warnings were out, thier response was the wind had blown the blooms to the other end of the lake...[/SIZE][/FONT]

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been on lake isle since 98. Warning for blue green happens every summer. I phoned the govt and they said they test the waters from hip waiters not boats. There is no way anyone would swim my lake from shore anyways. Last weekend there was 50 boats pulling tubes. Wakers and skiers. We all swim in the middle of the lake. There is some visable algae but as long as you stay in the middle it's all good. I probably spent 15 hrs in the water last weekend. If the bloom blows to one end we swim at the other. Pretty simple.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

To spend money on a boat like that and u live in alberta and dont even have a cabin in bc or saskatchewan is just wasteful, the lakes in this province are the worst in the country and thats nothing new

Top Bottom