Blown Drivers

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after 850 miles i finally had my first problem with my XM. Riding flatland at home in about 3 1/2 feet of powder I went to try and walk it and all of a sudden it started grinding and came to a stop. I assumed it was a chain which i have had happen to me on numerous other sleds so i knew the sound a feel. I called a friend to run me out a chain and oil and the tools to change in the bush. Took the chain case cover off and looked perfect. So we towed it home and straight to the dealer for warranty. He called me a day later and said my drivers were stripped out. He did not know the cause and i can't figure it out either. Anyone else have this issue and give me some insight on my problem so it doesnt happen again?

I'd send pics but i'm up at work sorry.

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_5442.jpg Here is a picture sent from the dealer. The mechanic said he has never seen this.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
WOW........ that sux!!!!! Must have been a bad day of casting drivers that day, would be my guess.......

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah isn't there supposed to be a steel ring on the driver flange?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't recall. The avid ones do Forsure but I don't remember seing one on the stockers

I had to go look and the answer is no. But now I'm curious as to why the flange in the photo looks like it would accept one. Looks nothing like mine.
Bad driveshaft brg that got hot maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has happened to three different guys that I ride with. I think one of the dealers said it was cause he was jumping his sled sled to much. Two of the sleds were stock and one was a turbo.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have heard of this a couple times on the XP. Make sure the shaft isn't hour glassed at the driver location....perhaps a direct blow at some time on the driver that dented or distorted the shaft??
If all looks good I would replace with Avids, they seem a little tougher.

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No i haven't and thanks for all the input. Unfortunately I am a horrible mechanic and so i can't answer any of the technical questions but i do know they are definitely giving me warranty. I do jump it but know more then my previous mountain sleds (less actually as i get older) Another thing i know of is if things can go wrong or a first kind of issue that noone has heard of i would find it!
Have you ever forgot to release your parking brake?

dooberry

Reaction score
I wonder if the drivers were pressed on correctly. They could have been slightly mis-aligned with the drive shaft which would weaken their friction fit.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has happened to three different guys that I ride with. I think one of the dealers said it was cause he was jumping his sled sled to much. Two of the sleds were stock and one was a turbo.

If you're talking about my drivers they never stripped on the driveshaft. The teeth wore to the point I had to run my track too tight so I replaced them.

Top Bottom