Block Heater cord

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
So i went to plug in my truck tonight and after i plugged it in i went to listen to hear it humming,,,,,No humming .I had just got home from work so the truck was warm ,this is the first time i have plugged it in so I am mad brand new truck and the fricken block heater doesn't work .crawlunder it and it is plugged in at the block,so i go to the owners manual,,look in there and it turns out there is an internal thermostat in the end of the cord and it won't work unless it is -18 celcius or colder.And under the hood of the truck it is fairly warm so i felt like a idiot ...Anyway if this helps some other person like myself then i feel better ,

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that GM started to put the -18 thermostat in their vehicles around 2003 or 2004. My 2004 Diesel has the same setup.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah i got a 08 gmc sierra too, and first i couldnt find the damn cord, it was wrapped up and under a bunch of wires. I noticed the huge plug with the plastic cap thing on it, good to know its a thermostat

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup big plug = thermostat, reason for it,if you use the block heater above -18 it sets off the check engine light.We had to change a bunch of the 07 trucks cords last year cuz of this problem.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jeesh i thought number one rule when buying something new your supposed to read the friggn owners manual ... am i the only one THAT EVER DOES THAT lol

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
HAHAHA. Yep isn't that gay?I think it is tied down on the frame rail .might have to loosen a clamp or tie ..Too cold to look at it right now

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the d-max heater cords are too short(right from day 1),pain in the ass.

The cords get shorter when it this cold. They contract up tight so they don't have stick out from under the hood. Shrinkage Factor :d We all do the same when we have to take a leak outside in this weather. :confused:

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a pain now that it's cold, but there is more than enough cord. You have to cut black tape on the wire loom and pull it out. I have mine ran to the the hole in the front bumper with lots to spare. The easiest way is to remove the inner fender on the passenger side. Only takes 10 minutes to do the job, that is if you have a warm garage or shop to do it in.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it cycles on and off?I still can't hear mine running and it has been cold.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah all i did was route the chord under that plastic fan cover, then over the headlight, its about half was down the headlight now other wise yah it wont stick out of the hood.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you pull the cover off on top of the rad you have room to fish the cord around the rad to the hole in the front bumper.

Top Bottom