Bit the bullet and bought an Arctic Fox Camper

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I know it was a feather light. Arctic fox makes a good y RV. I was just trying to picture a tandom axel siting on the bed of your pickup on them winedy mountin roads. (the trailer dosent even fit in the drive way)

How is that duramax for power? What was the total weight ?

I got a older light duty half tone. With full tank of gas ,my quad , and no one in the truck. I'm over weight for Alberta
Betcha your brothers trailer isn't an Arctic Fox! lmao

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Checked with Alberta DOT today and they do not have restrictions on personal vehicles in this province at all. He said on commercial vehicles they will go by tire weight rather than axle weights and don't give personal vehicles a look unless they are grossly in violation of the highway act. Told me not to worry in Alberta, and that they do not reclassify vehicles as commercial even if over 5000 Kilograms...Period!

In BC, I spoke with a senior person at DOT Compliance and they will reclassify personal vehicles and trailer once they exceed 5000 kilograms on the truck and 1600 kilograms on a trailer if manufactured after 2001. They went on to say that they don't normally pursue personal/recreational vehicles unless they look far overloaded and if they do, they go by the sticker on the door. The inspectors are allowed to exercise personal discretion as written within this law so if they see someone has upgraded suspension, wheels and tires they can and often do give an exemption. This person went onto say that I should be fine with my rig given the changes made and said invoices to show the the upgrades would assist if the truck is scaled and exceeds rear axles limits.

To answer the above question, this truck makes 455hp/850tq so pulling the weight should never be an issue. Dry it gets 17.5mpg highway and loaded it around 11mpg.

As for the Arctic Fox camper itself, I am sure there's always a lemon to be found with any brand but I am sold on the fact that this is still one of the best units on the market today. Bigfoot, Okanagan and Canada Coach have all gone out of business so what else competes with it now? Not much! Guess I'll have to wait and see how this one holds up but I'm fine with it in any case. Sorry to hear yours was a POS?

Philster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pitbulll.webs.com
Congratulations on Your purchase.Looks great.

We went winter camping and sledding a couple years ago with My motor home and camped in a staging area near Whitecourt.
It was a great time.only problem was the furnace ran the batteries down over night.I had to go out side in minus 25 weather to start the generator.Since then I have installed a Genset in the Motor home.Makes it a lot easier .

Have fun with it.:):):):)

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Checked with Alberta DOT today and they do not have restrictions on personal vehicles in this province at all. He said on commercial vehicles they will go by tire weight rather than axle weights and don't give personal vehicles a look unless they are grossly in violation of the highway act. Told me not to worry in Alberta, and that they do not reclassify vehicles as commercial even if over 5000 Kilograms...Period!

In BC, I spoke with a senior person at DOT Compliance and they will reclassify personal vehicles and trailer once they exceed 5000 kilograms on the truck and 1600 kilograms on a trailer if manufactured after 2001. They went on to say that they don't normally pursue personal/recreational vehicles unless they look far overloaded and if they do, they go by the sticker on the door. The inspectors are allowed to exercise personal discretion as written within this law so if they see someone has upgraded suspension, wheels and tires they can and often do give an exemption. This person went onto say that I should be fine with my rig given the changes made and said invoices to show the the upgrades would assist if the truck is scaled and exceeds rear axles limits.

To answer the above question, this truck makes 455hp/850tq so pulling the weight should never be an issue. Dry it gets 17.5mpg highway and loaded it around 11mpg.

As for the Arctic Fox camper itself, I am sure there's always a lemon to be found with any brand but I am sold on the fact that this is still one of the best units on the market today. Bigfoot, Okanagan and Canada Coach have all gone out of business so what else competes with it now? Not much! Guess I'll have to wait and see how this one holds up but I'm fine with it in any case. Sorry to hear yours was a POS?

Good info.How are your egts when chippped up and doing some pulling?

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Pyro runs around 6 when pulling and runs as hot as 8 when it's pulling up hill. If I put my foot into it the temps drop quickly. Haven't loaded both the camper and trailer yet but will try that later.

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty low when I was chipped empty with my ford I could easily hit 1350 or more when going up hill.I think stock I run hotter than you too.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Had he camper and the trailer loaded up for a return trip to Quartz and it pulled both with no trouble at all. Highest the pyro hit was a shade over 1000 while pulling uphill at field and when I put my foot into it the temps dropped to between 850 & 900. I also hit the scale on the way back and the truck weighed in at 5560 with the trailer on the pin. It was 5400kg without the trailer so just under the commercial vehicle act in BC as long as I tow it w/o fluids. It weighed 1720 on the front axle and 3680 on the rear axle with the camper on it and loaded up dry.

Handled great with the new springs on the truck and didn't even know the trailer was back there? Couldn't see it and couldn't feel it, but it was still on there when I got home. lol

Top Bottom