Bit the bullet and bought an Arctic Fox Camper

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Sledding this season will be a lot of fun with the all season camper rigged up on the back of my truck. Should be all decked out next week and ready for it's first of many trips to BC. Hope camping in the parking lots around Golden is cool cause it'll be sweet to wake up and get out riding early an not having to drive to hotels?

BC got any trailering laws or weight limits to 3/4 ton trucks loaded up with heavy campers an pulling an enclosed trailer?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Calgary snowmobile club does alot of that sled camping system. Seen them in Crowsnest Pass must of been 10 units out parked at Atlas Staging area looked fun. CAMPFIRE at night

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think in revy they let you camp in staging areas,whats the story in Golden?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I camped Revy @ Frisby last weekend. They are fine with early season camping but don't want campers there during the main season. I think they are just concerned about plugging up thier parking. I don't intend to camp revy dec-mar but nov, april-june I probably will.

Revy has a good Aquatic centre so you can shower up after sledding and sit in thier hot tub.

There are hotels in Golden that will let you camp in thier lot and plug in. You can then use thier hot tub/shower. There are the odd camp sites here and there that remain open all winter (Lost Lemon in the Crowsnest).

We've camped in the Crowsnest to -17. Enjoy, it's good times!

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gas Can, enjoy your Artic Fox. I have had mine for three years now and enjoy winter camping. They are well built and are very comfortable in the winter months. Which model did you get?

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Bought an 811S and pick it up on Monday. Gonna head out to Quartz with it in 2 weeks. It's gonna take me a bit to get a handle on power consumption when the furnace is running but I do have a Yamaha Generator for backup power if needed. I also had them install an 8.8amp solar panel to the roof which should keep things running nicely when it's sunny out.

I'll attach a few pictures of the camper in the shop as it's now being readied for pick-up next week. Anyone know what hotels in Golden let you use their power and hot tubs in the winter? That would be pretty cool to know about! :)

Attachments

• RV 020.jpg
    RV 020.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 68
  • RV 021.jpg
    RV 021.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 77
  • RV 022.jpg
    RV 022.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 68

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a camping trip planned to Golden with the family but had to cancel as temps were forecast to drop below -20.

I think the hotel I had spoke to was the Park Inn. They have "RV Parking" on their web page. They were going to charge to let us park our trailer and plug in and use the hot tub.

I'm not 100% sure it was them but it's worth a try.

l8r Shawn

PS nice camper. I was on the fence: Camper vs trailer but went trailer as I had to have a deck.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Pics of the rig before adding some overloads

Picked up the truck camper today and can't wait to get out and use this rig while sledding. It's now getting some overloads and a rear spring added to the truck as this is one heavy mofugger when you plop it on a 3/4 ton chassis. I added the Torque Lift extended hitch and will set the trailer up on it in the coming days.

I did contact a couple hotels on Golden where power hookups are no problem for overnighting in the camper. Should be fun!

Attachments

• K2500AF811.jpg
    K2500AF811.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 74

REPO

Reaction score
You may want to run that setup over the scales with the trailer hooked on before you head to BC. That sure looks like alot of camper for a 3/4 ton truck, especially with an enclosed trailer in tow. I would hate to see that setup being left on the side of the road because the DOT is having a bad day.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I do plan to weigh it before travelling to BC for sure. The truck will now be a 1-ton suspension as I had another leaf added to the main spring pack today and a set of over loads to add some stability outside of the frame rails. The 2500HD is the same frame as the one ton and with the added springs should meet or exceed the grade. The only thing I am unsure about is the axles and diff on a 2500 series versus the diff under a 3500 series.

Trucks rated to pull 14,000+ lbs and this 811 short box camper fits either a 6'6" box or 8' box in both a 3/4 ton or 1 ton chassis. Camper is 3600 dry and about 4400 fully loaded. The trailer is 1800lbs dry and up to 3500 loaded. That adds about 400lbs of tongue weight over and above the camper and the supplier says no problem on this chassis. I'm also upgrading the tires to a E-rated 10 ply for added side wall strength as the current mud tires are a D-Class.

If he's wrong :nono: he'll be getting a visit. lol

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do plan to weigh it before travelling to BC for sure. The truck will now be a 1-ton suspension as I had another leaf added to the main spring pack today and a set of over loads to add some stability outside of the frame rails. The 2500HD is the same frame as the one ton and with the added springs should meet or exceed the grade. The only thing I am unsure about is the axles and diff on a 2500 series versus the diff under a 3500 series.

Trucks rated to pull 14,000+ lbs and this 811 short box camper fits either a 6'6" box or 8' box in both a 3/4 ton or 1 ton chassis. Camper is 3600 dry and about 4400 fully loaded. The trailer is 1800lbs dry and up to 3500 loaded. That adds about 400lbs of tongue weight over and above the camper and the supplier says no problem on this chassis. I'm also upgrading the tires to a E-rated 10 ply for added side wall strength as the current mud tires are a D-Class.

If he's wrong :nono: he'll be getting a visit. lol

Just remember it don't matter what parts you add the D.O.T. will still use the sticker on the door jam for weights.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I'm told that DOT use the door sticker in BC while they use Tire Class in Alberta. At the same time I am told that they don't often pick on personal vehicles unless they are being jackasses or look to be far over legal limits. I'll be on the cusp of the trucks limits dry and slightly over when fully loaded. Here's to keeping ones fingers crossed when i scale the complete setup with the tandem trailer loaded up. I think I'll squeak through.
:beer:

Shanerd

Reaction score
Yes they do...not uncommon for the commercial scales to pull private vehicles over to wiegh them and check the gross GVW the vehicle is rated for...too heavey, they will park you....hope this helps.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Think I have it all under control and should creep under on the front rear axle limits if the camper actually weighs in at it's posted sticker weight? Truck sits level now when dry loaded but the actual scale test should tell the tale tomorrow.

REPO

Reaction score
Sounds like you are doing all you can to be safe thats for sure.

BUT, (there's always a but) It doesn't matter how much springs, tires, etc you bolt on the truck, the BC DOT will still go by the rating of the truck. Basically whatever it says on the door sticker. Thats the unfortunate part. BC truck laws can really suck if you run into a DOT that is trying to prove something. Others won't bother you at all.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Sounds like you are doing all you can to be safe thats for sure.

BUT, (there's always a but) It doesn't matter how much springs, tires, etc you bolt on the truck, the BC DOT will still go by the rating of the truck. Basically whatever it says on the door sticker. Thats the unfortunate part. BC truck laws can really suck if you run into a DOT that is trying to prove something. Others won't bother you at all.

That's what I've been told. The dealer that sold me the camper explained that most people who own Arctic Fox Campers or Trailers are often overloaded, as are most of the big toy haulers you see on the roads today. I have also been told that BC DOT were told to relax the rules a bit because their tourism department had received a lot of complaints in recent years and it was hurting the industry.

The sticker weights on my truck allow for 10,900 on the 2 axles and the truck is shy of 7K. That should have me close to the front & rear combined axle weights with my trailer on it and running dry with the camper. Given that I've addressed all safety concerns with wheels, tires and beefed up 1 ton springs, I would think that DOT might take a look but are ultimately looking for others who have a lesser concern for safety.

In any case, I appreciate the advice and should have my rig aligned before I hit the road. I drove it home tonight and it handled really well with the addition of the overloads. Here's to Irish luck! :beer:

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4400 pounds. what did they insulate that thing with lead.
my brother has a 26ft (bumperpull) 4500 pound dry weight

Top Bottom