bikes vs quads

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just thinking about changing over the quads and getting all bikes son already is and me and the wife have in the past but now have a quad but miss the bikes,but for family rides it was nice to pack everything on the quad.we mostly ride hard pack condtions and some dunes. what is your guys/gals opions on which would be better choice

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
just thinking about changing over the quads and getting all bikes son already is and me and the wife have in the past but now have a quad but miss the bikes,but for family rides it was nice to pack everything on the quad.we mostly ride hard pack condtions and some dunes. what is your guys/gals opions on which would be better choice

Pick one .............. both have advantages and disadvantages. Bikes are cheaper all around. :rolleyes:
I quad but I also hunt so its a multi purpose tool when the wife asks, not a toy. :d

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats the thing if i hunted or used it to push snow then it would be easy but have a snowblower for winter and dont hunt anymore.

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats the thing if i hunted or used it to push snow then it would be easy but have a snowblower for winter and dont hunt anymore.

:rant:Well then GET a blade or Start hunting!!!:mad:......O allright you decide!!:p:rolleyes::rolleyes:

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why not both........ha ha ha ! but quads are my choice if I can only afford one set of toys........ bikes are allot of fun, but a practical choice would be a quad.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
familys that play together stay together. My Dad and I have been dirtbiking together for 30 years. If you get good at it it will keep you in great shape and make you grow a pair of berries. Quading is fun but does not take the skill and or stamina that it takes to haul ass in the single track or on a track on a dirt bike.
I would say that quadding is like trial riding on a sled where as dirtbiking is like riding in the mountians on a sled, the only thing in common is they burn gas.
NO matter what you do, if you can spend time outdoors with your family I think your a great Dad :beer:, anybody can buy their kid a playstation:nono::nono:

Stillrockingabanshee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i started out on 2 stroke dirt bikes, and i have had only 2 4 poke dirt bikes. I have rode dirt bikes for like 4 years, and i said that i would never ever switch to quads. Until i saw the BANSHEE. It was love at sight between me and the banshee. I only rode it once and it was my friends, and i realized the fun i was missing on the banshee, Nothing has ever been better than hearing a 2 cylinder 2 stroke roar right under the gas tank. I do agree, that quads are more expensive, but you also have a huge variety of aftermarket parts for the quads as well. ITs your choice man, P.S i still ride dirtbikes lol so i do sometimes cheat on the banshee

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both and its getting harder and harder to do both especially since my riding partner crashed at a hare scramble in may and really messed himself up. I keep my bike because its paid for, i know every nut and bolt on it and its always there if i get a chance to ride. Nothing scratches the sledding itch in the summer like hauling azz on a bike.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up riding bike last one I had was a xr650 and got rid of it when my son was born as it was hard to take him with me now ast 7 he loves to ride and got the bike bug this summer and is good for his age. I can trade the quad for a 2007 ktm 250 2 storke just not sure if they lug like the thumpers do? as i will be doin g a lot of trail riding following my boy(not a race for sure) might look for a XR650 again :d thinking it will be a bike in the shop before spring.always belive the family need to play together the wife looked at a crf100 today as well

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Steeltown...it really doesn't matter what you're riding, as long as you do it together as a family, it's the right choice. I have both, as do my kids and wife, but if you're going as a family unit, I found the quads to be easier. If you want to get out and rip it up, the dirtbikes are a lot of fun. It's your choice in the end, but I know if I was choosing one, it would be the quads.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my kid says I seem old when i ride a quad. the bike might make me feel old as its been a lot of years since I have been on one

Reaction score
I have ridden street bikes for 20+ years, but only recently took up dirt biking (about 5 yrs ago). I rode dirt bike for several years, but found most bikes with any amount of power to be too tall in the saddle for my short legs. Even my CRF230 was taller than I liked for confidence. Then I tried an Arctic Cat DVX400, and immediately I had more confidence. I never thought that I would get rid of the dirt bike and get a quad, but that's what I ended up doing. The DVX400 is dirtbike-ish with the manual transmission, but inspires me to tackle obstacles that I would have avoided on my bike. I really enjoy ripping around on it, and with it's light weight, if I get a little stuck I can just haul up on the front or rear bumper and free it. For me, it's the best of both worlds, sporty like a dirt bike, but planted like a quad.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have played with the idea of a sport quad like a outlaw or raptor or amybe a perdator not sure if it will fill the hole from a bike.although it will have the power

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other thing to think about is some trails are closed to bikes at certain times of the year.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that instead of asking what other people think you should ride you should just buy and ride whatever you want and whatever suits you and your family best. Outweigh the good and bad about either machine and go from there, because everyone is different.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the imput looks like the quad is staying for now anyway,winters coimhg and if we get a lack of good snow still can take the quad and play:d

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since your son is on a bike I would pick one up if I were you. Nicer to ride the same type of machine. But keep the quad if you can afford it.

Top Bottom