Big guys that jump their sleds

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody here over 230lbs actually jump their sleds?

I am afraid to jump much more then the track barely off the ground in fear of bending the sh*t out of my sled. When I bought my sled the guy that owned it before me was ~170-180 ready to ride, the boards were straight and it was generally in good condition. Pretty much after my first ride (no jumps) the boards looked like banana's, and the steering was loose like a hooker. By the end of my 6 ride season, I had either tweaked the tunnel or the rear skid, and blown out one front shock. That was me taking it easy on the big air stuff, and just riding it like a dirt bike through whooped trails.

Maybe it is just my machine that is poor at taking flight, or maybe us big boy's just have to stay to the ground, and go slow in the whoops.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the whooped trails are most likely the culprit. I found that out in the first two seasons that I owned the summit after coming off an mxz. the summit is no mxz

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 280 before gearing up and my running boards always have a nice wow to them. Plus we do a lot of snowboarding so I'm doubling with some other 200+ guys. Jumped my 09XP 154 a lot, no major problems although the suspension feels pretty clapped out. When I got my 2012 163 the suspension was so nice and smooth that I didn't jump much, unless it was deep. I keep picturing the rails twisted sideways when I land way in the back seat.
I always think of upgrading running boards but I figure that will just make it bend somewhere more expensive.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's your problem, it didn't get ridden enough. It's not bent or sagging, it's moping. :D:D

It really was moping, I spent more on Jet A for it then I did on gasoline...

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is one reason I bought a freeride. Sled was built better. Last season I was around the 245 mark. Now down to 220 and will be closer to 210-200 this season.

Come summer and I have no problem being down to 195-200 like I am right now, but come winter I seem to work out of town more, and as such eat out more. Plus I am not outside being active as much, 220lbs+ comes quick and then add 20-30lbs of clothing and riding gear...

I'm sure I could be a lot more disciplined and keep down to my summer weight through the winter, but buying parts is easier then keeping trim.

sledxp

Reaction score
Anybody here over 230lbs actually jump their sleds?

I am afraid to jump much more then the track barely off the ground in fear of bending the sh*t out of my sled. When I bought my sled the guy that owned it before me was ~170-180 ready to ride, the boards were straight and it was generally in good condition. Pretty much after my first ride (no jumps) the boards looked like banana's, and the steering was loose like a hooker. By the end of my 6 ride season, I had either tweaked the tunnel or the rear skid, and blown out one front shock. That was me taking it easy on the big air stuff, and just riding it like a dirt bike through whooped trails.

Maybe it is just my machine that is poor at taking flight, or maybe us big boy's just have to stay to the ground, and go slow in the whoops.
don't be afraid just do it. i am 230 with all my gear on and somedays those whoops need to get owned, 80km and it don't even hurt the sled just have to hold on tight and don't let go of the gas. as for jumping i do that too and the sled is fine. i ride a 11 summit Dopamine fulfilment - YouTube
it don't really matter how much you weigh if you hit something wrong ch!t will bend

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy chitto........in that deep of snow you could be 350 and not hurt anything! Thanks for the vid. That just made me really look forward to winter. :)

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is one reason I bought a freeride. Sled was built better. Last season I was around the 245 mark. Now down to 220 and will be closer to 210-200 this season.

Good for you bud! I wish I had the drive to get into shape to be a better sledder. Snowmobiling has been the motivator that has almost got me back to the gym. Its been 10 years and its hard to fix myself up again.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting a knee injection on Thursday. Been doing some quadding the last few weeks and the knee has been doing ok. So with the extra pounds gone I should be good to go for this season. Ready to learn some more skills.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked to a few guys about this subject and the weight of a person does make a differance on how fast u can cause damage to the sled. But this one guy only weighs about 140 and all he said is he buys a new sled every 2yrs and no matter what he does the sled has damage on it. Hes been doing this for about 10 yrs and he has found no way to solve the problem and he's a small guy so all he said is buy a new sled.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked to a few guys about this subject and the weight of a person does make a differance on how fast u can cause damage to the sled. But this one guy only weighs about 140 and all he said is he buys a new sled every 2yrs and no matter what he does the sled has damage on it. Hes been doing this for about 10 yrs and he has found no way to solve the problem and he's a small guy so all he said is buy a new sled.

Some guys are just harder on chit than others, that's for sure. Our farm was fairly close to where the Blair Morgan team had thier snowcross practise track. One of the funny stories I heard from the factory guys was that Blair was a really terrible test rider compared to the other riders - he was so smooth on the track that he wouldn't push the sled to the breaking point. Other guys had the sleds broken in half in no time....LOL

PINandPRAY

Reaction score
don't be afraid just do it. i am 230 with all my gear on and somedays those whoops need to get owned, 80km and it don't even hurt the sled just have to hold on tight and don't let go of the gas. as for jumping i do that too and the sled is fine. i ride a 11 summit Dopamine fulfilment - YouTube
it don't really matter how much you weigh if you hit something wrong ch!t will bend
I was just wondering what size of track ur using on the summit?
Great video btw..

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im pushing the 250lb mark when all "geared" up. And I chuck my sleds off anything/everything without having issues ...so far...

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well hopefully my off season upgrades will help keep it together better, as I really do enjoy jumping it. That and even when I say I'm going to ride slow and take it easy through the whoops I get bored after about 3 min, and I am back smashing through them like I was racing snow cross.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well hopefully my off season upgrades will help keep it together better, as I really do enjoy jumping it. That and even when I say I'm going to ride slow and take it easy through the whoops I get bored after about 3 min, and I am back smashing through them like I was racing snow cross.

same here, I ride my toys like I stole them.Cuz if I pay that much moola for them ima make them pay me back lol

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You stole my sled video song! Lol. If I ever figured out how to edit my videos that's the sing I was goi g to use! Nice video.

Top Bottom