Big four sled show

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe you could run a hydraulic pump and motor off that belt drive. could use it to spin a real track. endless possibilities.

are those white sidepanels white paint or white plastic. the etec white panels were a pain in the butt to clean because they were porous. and the cat panels were painted and flaked off.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if the heat off the can is warm enough to screw up 8-12" of recoil rope, then I say the belt should be fine with enough wind movement from the belt itself.
Would be awfully tight behind there with the battery from the electric start. Not too much room under bottom pulley, for when snow and ice build up and freeze by morning. Could be hard on outside of belt. We don't always park our sleds inside when we sled at - 10c. to -40. Hopefully it was well tested in Canada where conditions are worse. Nice set up hopefully it works great. If it does then maybe all sled companies will have them.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there a cover or heat shield removed off the belt drive? Looks awfully close to the can, would heat off the exhaust could be an issue for the belts?
Thats the least of the problems for that system how do you adjust the belt we all know belts stretch and very narrow boards for your feet.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a new song by Adele called Rumour Has It. Well rumour has it one of the Big Four has secretly pimped out one of the areas best riders (code name Maxwell ) in order to seal a deal with a group of hungry cougars. Our source told us that " he" was very accommodating. Very soon after, our source laughed and disappeared into the crowd. No further detailed were obtained . I suppose we will have to fill in the rest of the details ourselves.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no there is no shield for the belt. Its far enough away from the belt, the can didn't melt the chaincase cover or pull cord so won't be an issue. If the belt breaks then you won't have brakes just like if the chain were to brake. The belt has been tested to be stronger then the chain. The belt will not stretch. Also if it does a little bit the belt is so tight that if all the teeth were to brake off you would still be able to drive the sled.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Towed a sled down from Milage a couple years ago with a broken chain.....sketchiest thing I have ever done on snow!

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats the least of the problems for that system how do you adjust the belt we all know belts stretch and very narrow boards for your feet.

Belt needs a tensioner?
1 Polaris messed up and forgot the tensioner or
2 Polaris pays their engineers to know if a tensioner is necessary and include it or not.
This point has been beat up by many a keyboard engineer and I suppose many more will think point 1 has occured.

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no there is no shield for the belt. Its far enough away from the belt, the can didn't melt the chaincase cover or pull cord so won't be an issue. If the belt breaks then you won't have brakes just like if the chain were to brake. The belt has been tested to be stronger then the chain. The belt will not stretch. Also if it does a little bit the belt is so tight that if all the teeth were to brake off you would still be able to drive the sled.
I will take a syncronous belt any day over a chain.

1 no parts to build the drive (no links and no pins) that fail when a link breaks or a pin shears.
2 no oil (no maint)
3 syncronous drive belts can take shock loads far better than hardened chain parts that just break.
4 more efficient drive than chain
5 lighter
6 tensioner not required as there are no parts to wear making the drive system sloppy and the belt does not stretch like people think.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will take a syncronous belt any day over a chain.

1 no parts to build the drive (no links and no pins) that fail when a link breaks or a pin shears.
2 no oil (no maint)
3 syncronous drive belts can take shock loads far better than hardened chain parts that just break.
4 more efficient drive than chain
5 lighter
6 tensioner not required as there are no parts to wear making the drive system sloppy and the belt does not stretch like people think.

A good thing about the belt drive is it won't be hard on it to throw it in reverse going downhill.

And just curious why the c3 belt drive needs a
Tensioner....those boys are also engineers......

How tight is the belt? How do you change it?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

go green

Reaction score
The belt and pulleys look like a 14mm cogged belt that is similar to the Kevlar poly-chain belt that we run on blower cars . The belts that run the screw blowers and 1471 blowers can see up to 700 horsepower to turn the compressors , with that being said, the Polaris belt drive will have easy life load wise . However the plastic impregnated Kevlar belt may have hot and cold cycling issues and fail not from load but from cycle cracking. The rubber backed nylon reinforced belts ( similar to the gates Power-grip series of HTD belts ) are ultimately not as strong as its Kevlar counterpart, but still can easily handle the load and would be a much better fit for the harsh environment that the belt works in. IMO

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for the show itself, I thought it was great. I was NOT looking for clothing. I wanted to look at the different brands side by side. Of course ride time would have been even better, but at least I could compare fit/finish, how they're built, how they feel, etc. etc. Got some good info from the dealers that were there.
I'm sure Polaris was showing every model they have. Poo and Doo were by far the busiest.

The belt is tight, even tough to get any side flex from it. To change, (I'm guessing), is pull one of the pulleys off and then just slide the belt and pulley on together. When and if you ever need to.

From what I heard, the only way these belts break is if a Doo or Cat guy sneaks over and slices it with a knife.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the belt. An easy comparison is look at Polaris' victory bikes. Take a 1500# bike (includes 2 riders, gear). The belt is exposed to road grime, dirt, gravel, rain, etc., and last for years.
Hopefully it works as good as they claim, I'll let you know how it works next season.....:common001: :Happy6: :thumb:

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pull rope does not melt it but it does Frey or breaks apart slowly for them 8-12". So you can't tell me there's not any heat behind the muffler. I've changed the rope twice already in two seasons and will be making a tube for the next one to be hidden from the heat.
As for the belt being similar to Victory motorcycles and blower belts, you don't get the shock loads you get from sleds. Do they have belts on the race sleds??? Who likes to ride there Victory motorcycles down gravel roads.
If that belt is to tight won't it take away rolling resistance?
Time will tell but on my last trip to the mountains some guy was pulling out his buddy cause his belt had failed. So belt or chaincase they will always have issues.

Top Bottom