big bore and turbo?

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking the other day I don't think I've seen or heard of a sled with a big bore kit and Turbo. I'm just curious if it exists, I'm not looking to do it to my own sled or anything.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BDF on this site has a cat 1200 big bore turbo. Ya she honks too.

The problem is you can't slap on a big bore then a turbo. The big bore needs to be specifically built for turbo applications. Hence why a lot of big bore turbos do not work while the properly built ones do.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's about what I figured. Is his 1200 cat a 2 stroke?

Yes, lots of Cat 1200's with boost on them. Lots of guys can make this work, Deano is one, Brent Linderman is another, Brad Story also comes to mind. As Maxwell stated though, often times the BB is built for different specs than the boost, so you need to tailor the BB kit to boost. You don't want a BB kit with 13:1 conpression and then try and add a hairdryer etc. At the end of the day, BB's add HP and boost adds HP, but you have to seriously ask yourself if you need a 350-400 HP sled though. Once you cross the 250 HP mark, most sleds are stupid fast IMO, and will take you anywhere you want to go, just depends on how fast you get there. While there is nothing like topping a hill at 70 mph that most sleds cannot even think of climbing, you really start to realize how fast you have to react when piloting something like that.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mountain Magic has been running a few 901 bigbores on the m8 with a turbo and they move

Last edited:

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you gotta love climbing hills at 70 - 90 mph but like said you have to react quick buts its fricken fun

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen the 1200 that Deano built and it's a nice sled! Last year I was in Smithers and was talking to a guy who was riding a 1200 bb turbo, and he said that it crazy! But he said his buddy is building a 1400 twin turbo!

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, lots of Cat 1200's with boost on them. Lots of guys can make this work, Deano is one, Brent Linderman is another, Brad Story also comes to mind. As Maxwell stated though, often times the BB is built for different specs than the boost, so you need to tailor the BB kit to boost. You don't want a BB kit with 13:1 conpression and then try and add a hairdryer etc. At the end of the day, BB's add HP and boost adds HP, but you have to seriously ask yourself if you need a 350-400 HP sled though. Once you cross the 250 HP mark, most sleds are stupid fast IMO, and will take you anywhere you want to go, just depends on how fast you get there. While there is nothing like topping a hill at 70 mph that most sleds cannot even think of climbing, you really start to realize how fast you have to react when piloting something like that.

Yeah you're right the excessive power isn't really necessary. I was just curious if it's been done because of the common theme you see in any type of powersport where people will build anything just to do it. Like a motorcycle or sled with a v8 engine. And like I said its not something I'd be thinking of, I'm a first year rider!

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last season I went for a ride with Shain Stanger from Twisted Turbo's.He was riding a 925,what a power monster that sled was.These big bore kits are putting out just about the same horsepower and torque as a M1000 running with a turbo and around 30lbs lighter.
If you want a sleeper sled that will highmark the M8 and the M1000 this is the way to go.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah you're right the excessive power isn't really necessary. I was just curious if it's been done because of the common theme you see in any type of powersport where people will build anything just to do it. Like a motorcycle or sled with a v8 engine. And like I said its not something I'd be thinking of, I'm a first year rider!

Yep, its pretty much all been done if you can think of it. There is Rated R from CR Racing with 700 HP, a 2000cc 2 -stroke sled that Ralph from Split Second built, the 1400 Culter twin that CPC built, etc etc. There was a guy in Castlegar years back that put a small block V8 in a sled, if I remember right it was a 283 ci? something like that. I remember when Tison was building mountain sleds and they put one of the PSI 1800's in their chassis (after they got the motor set up) and then put nitrous to it. It was dyno'd at something like 410 on the button, in about a 450 HP sled.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I met the guy that bought Brad Story's old M1200 propane turbo. He rode it once and was trying to sell he said it was just way too insane.

Top Bottom