best UTV for work

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking at buying a sxs for work. was looking at the rzr 570 as i dont want to spend a ton of money. just need something to bomb around in and cary some basic equipment. only thing i dont like is the bucket seat setup. thinking i should go for something with a straight through floor for easliy getting in and out multiple times.

whats out there thats reliable, basic, reasonably priced, and not high powered.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
800 ranger seems to have a good balance of decent weight, power, and smoothness. Need to replace the dinky skid plate before sticks start going through.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We run the older kawi mule 4 seater at work. Rear seat folded up. We have a water pump and tank for grass fires. Also run tracks.
Only issue is its a bit under powered.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With me having owned them all but a yami I can honestly say the kawi teryx is a work tough machine. Never broke down or had any parts wear out on mine. 2009 had a issue with the boots sliding up the cv and letting in water. That was fixed after a few months and I had High miles and lots of abuse on mine, it still drove like new until I sold it. Super easy to get in and out of also. Change oils and drive it.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kubota, Bob Cat, or John Deere, is what would recommend for your needs.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend had a Diesel kabota on tracks. heated cab ext. Pimp work unit but it was 27,000$ tho

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kabota, Deere and Bobcat are built for working. Rangers are a yard toy. Its kinda like getting a Powerfist welder for work instead of a miller...lol

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not a cheap machine, but the Kubota 1100 that we still have, cab, heat, air, has been a rough riding, trouble prone POS. The rear axles have been replaced at least 3 times, very expensive. Somehow a cat got into the belt and committed suicide, machine got real hot and water pump leaked after that. Radiator sucks in lots of dirt from the LF tire and needs cleaned often. Standard air intake sucks in a tremendous amount of dirt. The whole machine seems like something you would expect the Russians to build and not the Japanese. If anyone gets one, have the override valve installed on the tranny so it doesn't come to an abrupt, u joint breaking stop when you take your foot off the accelerator. Yes, that's u joints on the inner rear axles, not cv joints. The reason I bought it was to get my son through some early years driving without having a bad accident, so mission accomplished. It is slow and gutless with some heavy ROPS.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After running brp and polaris, which are fine for sport, but junk for work, bought a gator. 8k ish, large dump box, run forever.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NO --- GO with the MAVERICK

You will be he only guy on the job with a SMILE on your face

Hell most guys would just want a ride and would do the work for you -- then you just have to drive......an you could get to the next site twice as fast

I know would be fun but not practical - definitely a sign your getting OLDER

A used 450 Rhino is probably the closest fit and price

xmsummit154

Reaction score
We have a john deere xuv 825i gator with 6000 miles on it and it still runs like a top. Ours has the factory cab which is somewhat noisy but sure nice when your 10 miles from home and it starts pouring out. Very well built machine and would highly recommend it.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 660 rhino that I use for work and trail. It's loud, rattles and vibrates, but after 6000 miles still starts and goes to work. Only problems were caused by too many pops and too much throttle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pourinthecoal

Reaction score
Easy one - either the Deere 825i or a Ranger 800 XP. If on a budget, find a Rhino 660 or 700. Kubota is useless except for golf course work. I've owned all these machines, as well as a RZR 900 XP, and the one I drive the most (by far) is the Gator. It's perfect for work, clutched very well, handles well and reliable.

Daniel475

Reaction score
go with a rhino 700 you can pick one up cheap now , there a good all around UTV, and we had one for years never let us down !

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was on a budget , I would have a good long look at the new Honda pioneer, there is reliability written all over that, starting at app 9K +, sealed transmission, and no belts. and good for a little of both work and play.
we have 2 Honda quads, (2001 , 500 foreman and a 2010 trx420 ) never had any mechanical issues that were not driver induced.....
Do own a 2013 commander, loving the ride... but alas use it only for play and not a "budget" decision.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my first priority was will the box hold a 4 ft lath, if not it isn.t much good for work. eliminates the rhino, looked at the kawasaki mule, not interested, ranger had the tool capacity and able to carry several bundles of lath. i.m thinking the ranger 500 would fit the bill.

Top Bottom