Best Trailer/set-up for hauling 3 sleds with an SUV

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
So I'm just looking to see how others are getting 3 sleds around.

I could deck the pick-up and keep using the 2 place behind, but I'd like to be able to get the 3 sleds where I need to be using the 4-runner and retire the pick-up.

I love my Triton 2 place tilt but there is no way I can get a 3rd sled on it. I've seen some people do 2 forward facing and back the 3rd on and others put the first one forward facing onto a V with the other 2 backed on. Just curious what the best trailer and set up is for this. I had a 4 place but the 22' was overkill and a PITA to maneuver around tight staging areas.

I have a tow capacity of 5000lbs but would prefer to keep it around 2500lbs.

What are others doing?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
With the people you know and your great technical abilities you should be able to put on a tongue extension and run this configuration ...........two sleds on the trailer and one in the back!

image.jpg

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think the 22' is overkill. It's comfortable.

My buddy has a 19', we drive first into v nose(my cat lol), and back in the other two. But as age keeps creeping up, this scenario is getting old. He's looking at a little longer one now, more shelving and furnace.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SUV = Sled yard sale on Hwy ...
i have an acquaintance who has a tow / accident recovery buisness ....
he is very wealthy , thanks in part to SUVs towing trailers & insurance companies.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy had a 14'+ the v nose aluminum flat deck 2 place with a 3500lb axle, for three sleds we would take the slush guard off to get the sleds farther forward and then move the ass ends to the sides and back the third one on, works good but not ideal for strapping sleds down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
OPEN trailer under 1000lbs, 3 sleds 1800lbs total 2800lbs..... my 4 runner is set up for 5000lbs I don't think I'm in yard sale territory... brake controller, studded winter tires pretty sure I'll be OK.

I like the 14' information, thanks I can look into this.

SUV = Sled yard sale on Hwy ...
i have an acquaintance who has a tow / accident recovery buisness ....
he is very wealthy , thanks in part to SUVs towing trailers & insurance companies.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 14foot (Aluma brand name) trailer I bought for towing with a Jeep TJ, fits 2 sleds easy, but you could fit 3. The trailer is super light, and towed fine with a small vehicle.

Id get the 16 foot dual axle for hauling 3 though.

8614-8616 Snowmobile Trailers | Open Snowmobile

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck with it then , I personally have seen way to many incidents with suv towing . Can it be done ,sure. But I don't think SUVs are primarily designed to tow ... Due to a # of factors.
But it 's your choice ....
Drive safe

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure the trailer is 8 or 8.5 wide. I would go with a 16 over a 14 for sure. But 14 would do it. I had a 7x14 tandem trailer and I could do 2 sleds easy but not 3. My 8.5 x 16 enclosed did 3 sleds easy.

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would bet a lot of those crashing suv guys have cruise control set. Not a good plan

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True most likely , a lot are in summer time with RV trailers & and the like ...
Inexperienced drivers / wind / and unbalanced loads .... Are a few factors . The shorter wheelbase is just not ideal for towing .. Things can get to whip on a hurry ...
Just because a vehicle is "rated " to tow a certain amount does not mean it is adequate to do it in reasonable & comfortable manner....
Jmo

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think brakes are the big thing to consider. I rocked a 2 place with an SUV years ago and would never go back. I do personally like a deck more, but it was pretty sketchy when you needed to stop in a hurry with the SUV. The brakes on a 3/4 or 1 ton are way better.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with a 16 foot aluminum with tandem axles and brakes. Don't forget to get a good controller and take your time and you should be fine.

I have a two place aluminum Triton 12 foot V nose I picked up from Martin with 14" aluminum wheels (no brakes) and it is great. I would not pull it with two sleds behind my wife's SUV but it seems OK with one. Lots of power but as pointed out by others, the SUV just doesn't seem to have the weight to make me real confident. It is a Mazda CX9 with the towing kit so it is on the larger size for that class of vehicle.

When I need to haul two, one goes in the bed of my truck and the other goes on the trailer. It could easily be two on the trailer as I can't really tell it is there. Basically I am too cheap and lazy to go get a deck for the truck. Big enough PITA taking the fifth wheel in and out. Takes minutes away from beer time and that is flat out unacceptable.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This should say some suv's as they are all not created equal. I'm sure I'd have no issue hauling three sleds on a light trailer in the wife's escalade with winter studded tires and awd. Trailer would have to have brakes and be a tandem to be comfortable. Take a excursion as well. Big heavy SUV is no different then a pick up truck. Might actually be better then a half ton as there is more weight in the back of the SUV.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Like I said I'm set up to tow with the 4-runner, it's a 4L V6, factory tow package with transmission cooler & 5000lb hitch, electronic brake controller etc.... I haul my 18' 3500lb travel trailer with it all summer, been to Yellowknife and back no issues. As it is I've hauled 2 sleds on my 10' Triton to the hills...adding a 3rd sled does not worry me weight wise, I just need the room....

I'm more comfortable with my set up than lots of the 1/2 & 3/4 tons with decks and enclosed trailers.......

Everyone is a critic........ I'm going to look into the 16' tandem with brakes, I think that will fit best.

Top Bottom