Best riding sled for a messed up back?

theseeker

Reaction score
It'll be two years this friday that I was in a snowmobile accident and crushed a vertebrae in my lower back. Lately Ive been thinking about buying another sled and getting back out there to do some riding. So the question is which sled would have the best ride. I don't do any mountain riding so it would be mostly local trails, fields and on the lake. Id be looking at used sleds that were a few years old.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been on a sled that rides better then my Freeride. It absorbs a lot and is pretty easy on the joints. Might not be what you are looking for though.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been on a sled that rides better then my Freeride. It absorbs a lot and is pretty easy on the joints. Might not be what you are looking for though.
My buddie did similar in a quad accident and he loves his m8 with the nextech revalved suspension but after a ride on my other buddies freeride he is going to swap for a 154 freeride says the trail handle excellent and soak up drops etc, x2 on the freeride

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
1990 Polaris Indy trail deluxe 500 lol
i got one and we call it the grandpa deluxe.
When we ride around home ditch banging I'll take it out and it's like riding a couch thru the ditches.

But nobody likes old wedges. :)

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the grand touring would be a pimpin old man sled,id get a stereo for it like the big harleys have,lol those things ride like a caddy.

Or if you are looking for something a little sportier, the freeride would be a good unit too.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or a renegade 1200.....just cause I have one for sale. Lol. Very dependable but might be a little rougher as it has a 137" track.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy a 2013 RMK.

I haven't seen anyone complain about being tuckered out after a long days' ride with that sled.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy a 2013 RMK.

I haven't seen anyone complain about being tuckered out after a long days' ride with that sled.
The poster stated he wouldn't be mountain riding, and mountain sleds are not great trail sleds. Look at any of the touring sleds - all have good suspension, and try to look at the longer 136-144 machines - they will "bridge" a lot of the smaller bumps and give a smoother ride then any of the "sport" models. Pick a model with good dealer support in your area, and remember, you get what you pay for - the base model will have base model suspension. Good luck getting back in the saddle - I broke my back many years ago, and it was a long journey to get back in the saddle, but so worth it.

theseeker

Reaction score
I had some time today to try out a friends polaris edge trail touring to see how many miles the old spine could handle. I put on about thirty miles that consisted of lease roads, and cutlines and Im glad to say when I got back I felt really good, actually could of easily done more. Saying that I probably won't be buying that type of sled the grand tourings are really nice but they just don't do it for me after all Im not even in my mid twenties. So I may wonder my way into a polaris dealership and have a look at the rush.

On a side note I just realized it was two years on this day approximately this time that I crashed my sled and was heading to the hospital on a spine board. The doctors left me lay in a hospital bed for four days before screwing my spine back together then telling me to walk my a$$ out of the hospital. Kinda weird thinking back at how lucky I really was and how it could of been much worse.
RIP 04 Summit

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 09 Bearcat XT and its one of the smoothest sled I have ever rode easy on my spine

bc rmk

Reaction score
I almost had the same injury 10years ago but in a head car accident, I damaged my L3 vert its never given me problems since knock on wood. cant say the same for my bruised ribs from my running boards last week DOH.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new cats with the way the frame is designed is suppose to do the same thing, The way the rear suspension hanger attached to a brace that runs up to the steering post as well as braces running from the top of the shock towers. Its suppose to stiffen the chassis and direct the forces thru the over structure....... I still think that if you bottom the bump stops with transfer forces straight into your back were the rush wont.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We own 2 Polaris Touring machines, and I have to say my '04 Edge is heads and tails smoother than my wifes '09. That being said I sure like the way my brother inlaws Grand Touring machine rides.
I think once you get the hang of the supension adjustments on whatever machine you buy, you'll be happy.

Top Bottom