Best polaris tuner around alberta?

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So who's the best around alberta to deal with polaris gremlins? I have a sled with a big bore I'm having issues with and I want to basically drop it off and when I pick it up, the sled runs flawlessly. Who would you take it to? And I'm not talking "I heard this guy is good" stuff. I'm looking for "this guy WILL have it running perfect" stuff.

I've had my sled in at both local places and so far when it came back from one it ran like crap and my wife's 600 would have stomped it, and the other I took it in to because the tps was out and I had no reverse, and they fixed the reverse/tps but gave it a bog and told me that now I can mess around with getting it reflashed. Meanwhile I'm thinking that if I had time to mess around re-flashing it, I probably would have just done the tps myself to begin with.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you even tune a sled?? Is there a special dyno for them?

you would think the guys who sell these kits would supply a tune for them as well or what is the point if you have to dick around trying to tune it after..

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hand's down, no question. Trevor aka Rhodesie.

He's located in Medicine Hat, You'll never find a more honest man.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The kit comes with a ecu flash by Carl's and a pc5 map........so how is it not running right? Who did the install?

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's get the hole story.

So I bought the sled which was advertised on S&M from Brent Hotchstein out of pincher creek. He told md his buddy who is z mechanic at his local polaris dealer installed the kit. Supposedly it ran 100% flawlessly. I bought the sled late last spring but I still managed to go for a ride on it June 30. Through the day the sled ran good with the exception of two small burbles. Nothing major.
This year first ride around the yard I blew the quick drive belt after 2 miles.

Fixed that but the sled had a really low idle. So I send it in to one of my local dealers to adjust it and have the sled running perfect because I had a big trip coming up. Apparent the tps was out of adjustment and it was supposed to be running top knotch now. Ripping around the yard it was pulling like a freight train.

Head to whistler for my big trip right after Christmas. Starting out on the trail it was giving the odd burble. I was thinking it would clear up. Through the first part of the day it actually ran not bad. Not great but rideable. Around mid day though the burble was getting worse, one cylinder cutting out and less power than my wife's 600. I got really lucky though and smashed my a arm off a tree and got to ride a rental to finish the trip.

Get the a arms fixed at home, changed the plugs ( the old ones had those screw on tops so I'm thinking that might have been part of the issue with it cutting out. That and the install guy had the plug wires zip tied together. So I cleaned those up and it was running good again but still had that low idle. So I adjusted the set screw down at the end of the throttle cable rather than the one in the throttle cable as there wasn't a lot of play in the throttle already. So now I had it idling 1400rpm. And the guage would vary between 1300 to 1650 without it sounding like it was iing any different and my reverse no longer worked.

So I texted a buddy and told him what I had done and he figured my tps would be out. So I took it in to the other local dealership to get that adjusted because I'm just at the point I just want to ride. I no longer want to wrench.
So they get the reverse working, change the fuel filter, adjust the tps so it has reverse and idles but now it has a bog (that's what they tell me. I'm so disgusted i haven't picked it up yet. They told me to get an updated flash or map and that should clear it up.

So now I just want to get it running right so I can sell it or ride it but either way I want it running good.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Edit-I misread your 1400 rpm idling part. Sounds like you have yourself a lemon. Hopefully you get it figured out

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well for one you cannot adjust the idle like that and did you tell the shop that you opened up the throttle bodies more? that is why your sled would not go into reverse . If not they will need to be reset to spec. You need to call carls and see if they have a new map for the PC5 and get it. Then install it to the pc5. What year is this sled?

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well for one you cannot adjust the idle like that and did you tell the shop that you opened up the throttle bodies more? that is why your sled would not go into reverse . If not they will need to be reset to spec. You need to call carls and see if they have a new map for the PC5 and get it. Then install it to the pc5. What year is this sled?

I did tell them what I did with the throttle bodies. I just called and asked about that and the service lady told me they had re-adjusted the throttle block there.

It's a 2013. I just don't understand how it goes from having no bog to having a bog. Compression is 115 and 120 which sounds low to me.

Mostlyasian

Reaction score
Might be worth just bringing to Chris. He set up my MTNTK turbo this fall and I've had no problems since I brought it there, works flawlessly. Well worth the 6-7 hour day from FSJ for the peace of mind and great service. Only place in the peace I'd bring my sled is gaudin's if driving to Stony isnt an option.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I did tell them what I did with the throttle bodies. I just called and asked about that and the service lady told me they had re-adjusted the throttle block there.

It's a 2013. I just don't understand how it goes from having no bog to having a bog. Compression is 115 and 120 which sounds low to me.

That's very low!! Should be up around 150!! I have a MNTNKs full mod and I have 148 and 150!

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I picked up the sled and I have an idea on the bog. The mag side isn't firing at all. The sled threw a det code severe once so the service guy figures it might be something internal with the mag side. The plugs have 3 miles on them at most and it was running on both cylinders when it went in.

Myself, I'm having a hard time figuring this out as I'm not a mechanic. The det code I'm thinking (as an untrained guy) might have come from over revving 64 gram weights at 2500'. Or from the tps being out of wack.

The part I'm having a tough one figuring out is as far as I know there are three things I need. Fuel, compression and spark. If I have those then it should fire. If I have 115psi, how could it be anything internal?

I haven't been this disgusted with sledding since my m8T. I so bought a new xc120 from these guys three days ago, take it home, unload it , fire it up and it sounds like it's got a engine knock. Lift up on the right side handlebar so the ski is off the ground and it goes away. Set it down it comes back. They still haven't gotten it figured out.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a ton of bad luck. Detonation is caused by poor fuel, or improper fuel requirement. You should run minimum 91 octane but since is has a big bore it may require a higher octane fuel. But at 115 psi compression I wouldn't see you needing over 91 octane.

Sent from my iPhone

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once you had tps on sled reset. Did you supply 12v power to sled and plug into pcV and then set the pcV tps??? It needs to know min and max throttle position to fuel proper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom