Best Half Ton for Sledding?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The door sticker will only tell you the weight capacity of the trucks axles, for towing capacities you have to look at the owners manual as it varies based on options, but most new 1/2 tons have a towing capacity in the 8-12000 lb range.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think what many people forget is a truck is supposed to work when loaded, that's the point, yes there will be times when you require full throttle to climb a hill and the rad fan may kick in to keep it cool, but don't be alarmed this is Normal you don't need a bigger truck, if you want a bigger truck that's cool, but don't tell me you needed it.

Sorry not trying to be an a$$, but modern pickups are very capable, much more so than the average person realizes.

I agree! We used to haul bales with a 97 chev half ton. Trailer weight was 30000lbs!! It required every ounce of power to climb hills but it did it for years before we switched to diesels.
Unless your routinely hauling over 10000lbs a half ton is fine

Farmin Fool

Reaction score
Check the yellow and white sticker in the drivers door frame and see what the trucks payload capacity is. On a half ton crew cab it will be between 1500-1600lbs. Put your 7000 lb trailer on which probably has 800 lb tongue weight. Then put yourself, your wife and two kids in the truck which adds another roughly 500-600 lbs. You have now used up 1300-1400 lbs payload. Now wait, you haven't filled truck with gas or took into account firewood or kids bikes or camping gear in the box or even any accessories you have added to your truck. See how fast a half ton is overloaded. I don't care what the sales guy tells you that trailer towing capacity is because you will run out of legal payload capacity before you hit that number.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I am familiar with the GM 6l and the Ford 6.2l. Both motors are bullet proof in my mind if they are maintained and not bagged. Both have the power for Roger's Pass and will hold speed pulling average weights. The lower geared rear ends (410's) are much better but the gas mileage isn't as good. With my 6.2 Ford, I am into 13-14 on the highway empty and that was better than the GM 6l ever was. Both got around 18-22 loaded with two sleds and driving 110-120. Yes, I buy a lot of gas but maintenance is minimal. Oil changes every 8000 km and that's about it.

It is a pretty easy drive to Fernie via Ft. MacLeod and Pincher.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think what many people forget is a truck is supposed to work when loaded, that's the point, yes there will be times when you require full throttle to climb a hill and the rad fan may kick in to keep it cool, but don't be alarmed this is Normal you don't need a bigger truck, if you want a bigger truck that's cool, but don't tell me you needed it.

Sorry not trying to be an a$$, but modern pickups are very capable, much more so than the average person realizes.

I would just rather have my truck not have to be huffing and puffing all the time. If you want to hook on 8-10,000 lbs with a 5.3, Hemi, Ecoboost, that is your choice, but let me know how long your tranny, brakes, rear end, etc last. In my opinion, most of them just don't have the cajones for it. They might do it, just not forever, or not in the safest manner. You might get up that hill (eventually), but what about going down? You'll be the guy going 50-60 up that hill no doubt.

Anyway, just my two cents. Back to what the OP was asking, for a light load like that 18' 2 place enclosed, I'm sure that any of those trucks would be good. I would be most hesistant I suppose of buying a used Ecoboost off warranty. I really like the motor, but not sure I would dance with one off warranty. Perhaps a 5.0 is an option if your not pulling a ton of weight.

Last edited:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. Not another sled deck on a 1/2 ton thread. :)
I'm trying to decide on a "new to me" truck. I don't tow often enough or heavy enough to warrant a diesel and anything with reasonable kilometers is out of my price range.
Most of the time I'll be pulling an 18' - 2 place enclosed.
I'm looking for that balance of towing and fuel economy. Is there such a thing? My budget puts me in the 2008 to 2012 range. I'm not brand loyal. Styling and interior on most newer trucks seem pretty equal.

Obvious choices:
Chev or GM - 5.3l (never heard anything good about the 6.0l)
Dodge Ram - 5.7 hemi
Ford F-150 - Ecoboost
Ford F-150 - 5.0l
Ford F-150 - 5.4l
Ford F-250 - 6.2l (from what I have read fuel economy is pretty bad)

I've heard good and bad about all of these so I'm looking for more info.

Here is my rig... 07 chev 1500 with 6.0l. It has bilstein shocks all around, 20" rims and 305/55r20 grabber at 2. This truck serves it's purpose for me to the tee. Power is great and can maintain the speed i want for what i am hauling most of the time. I haul a small bob cat to golden with it once and a while. Haul the hot rod to Edmonton for racing 2 times a year. My sled is the back for 50 trips or so to the mTns. And 10 or so trips with a 2 place trailer. Works like a champ and has never let me down. Mileage empty on the highway is about 650km to a tank, 450 in the city. I would recommend this or something newer to anyone considering a a chev halfer.

image.jpg

Billydozer56

Reaction score
I have a 2010 F150 5.4l tow haul package. empty my friends dodge 1500 is faster same with my friends 5.3l chev both 2011's. But towing is a different story. The 5.4l pulls way nicer, does not struggle nearly as much in the mountains. we have all took a turn pulling our friends enclosed trailer. if you want to drag race go for the dodge, if you want to pull get the 5.4l ford. i have not pulled with the eco-or the 5.0l. the 5.3l same as the dodge good when empty until you put a load on it. fuel mpg is all in the same ball park. The 5.4l was used in the 3/4 ton and 1 ton, same with the hemi. the 5.3l was not. big difference between the 04-08 to the 09-2010 f150. good luck there all nice low maint trucks with there own quirks. I hope you get years or good service out of the truck you pick. all will do the job.

cheers.

rondun1

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Chevy 1500 with a 6.2L. I pull a 24.5ft Cougar trailer that weights 9300lbs. It has no problem pulling it anywhere. I put it in manual mode and 4th gear no tow /haul mode (I don't like the way it pulls in tow/haul mode). empty it runs down the hiway at 12.5 per 100km..... towing it is 22 per 100km. The truck has 342 diff and a 6 speed auto. The truck will run at the local drag strip at 14.6 sec in the 1/4 mile......stomps a Raptor, and pulls away on a Eco-boost, and Hemi.....not even in the ballpark. The 6.2L is harder to find but well worth it.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
24.4' trailer that weighs 9300lbs..... Holey chit I'm assuming that has to be fully loaded.

But either way according to the tech. Data on that truck your towing just 300lbs shy of your max capacity. So your legal but still sitting border line

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
24.4' trailer that weighs 9300lbs..... Holey chit I'm assuming that has to be fully loaded.

But either way according to the tech. Data on that truck your towing just 300lbs shy of your max capacity. So your legal but still sitting border line

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 relatives and one friend of a friend that drive 6.2s. All 3 tell me it's like driving with a hole in the tank. Maybe they're lead foots.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I have 2 relatives and one friend of a friend that drive 6.2s. All 3 tell me it's like driving with a hole in the tank. Maybe they're lead foots.

I've got the 6L and I'll tell ya right now that 12L/100k is a pipe dream for me.... 18ish empty is about as good as it gets. The only good thing I have found mileage wise is with the deck loaded with 2 sleds I still manage to get between 19-21..... Pulling a trailer I'm in the 25-28 range and have gotten as high as 30

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some nice 6's out there. I have a friend with a 2012 2500 with the 6 and I will drive my own truck rather than split gas with him. He picked up an 04 f350 with a diesel to use instead of the 6.0.

Shopping for a used truck is a challenge to find reasonable kilometres and half decent options. I may be wrong but it seemed to be much easier to tell if a truck was had a good option package if it was a Z71 or SLT. Not many Z71s in 04 that had cloth bench seats.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the 6L and I'll tell ya right now that 12L/100k is a pipe dream for me.... 18ish empty is about as good as it gets. The only good thing I have found mileage wise is with the deck loaded with 2 sleds I still manage to get between 19-21..... Pulling a trailer I'm in the 25-28 range and have gotten as high as 30
18L/100 or mpg?

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
My 08 6.0L will average 16 mpg empty sometimes more or less depending on wind etc and of course speed.

Top Bottom