Best Half Ton for Sledding?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The truck is probably rated to tow 10000 lbs. Why would 7000 be too much? Just an honest question as a guy who tows a 7000 lb trailer with a half ton as well.
Maybe I'm old school but I get concerned when I see half tons towing large trailers with equalizer hitches cranked to the max and the rear end still squatting. Looks like an accident waiting to happen, just add poor road conditions and some wind.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm old school but I get concerned when I see half tons towing large trailers with equalizer hitches cranked to the max and the rear end still squatting. Looks like an accident waiting to happen, just add poor road conditions and some wind.

Agreed . Also if your trailer is 7000. Are you going off the sticker or have you weighed it? Remember the sticker weight does not include the AC, microwave, awning, ect. Then tack on gear and waster. Ect ect. Then check your trucks pay load. And what the loaded tounge weight is. Then add the occupants.....

I have a 23' trailer. It's just over 4000lbs dry. Fully loaded it's 5500-6000. And my tounge weight is 600ish if I remember right

If my 23' Salem light weighs that loaded what does your 7000lb trailer weigh loaded.... And then your using a 6000'ish lb truck with 1/2 ton breaks for your stopping power. Trailer breaks ever quit good luck.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the truck can't handle towing 7000 lbs then why do the manufacturers Rate it to tow 9500 lbs?

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
4600 empty prob under 7000 loaded. Only a 30 gallon water tank.

7000lbs loaded is different than a 7000lb trailer.... But too me personally I would prefer not to put my 1/2ton through that. And you also have to take into account your payload and your tounge weight on a trailer that size and how close you are to overloading truck.

Just my personal opinion is all if your truck is doing it fine and your comfortable doing it then giver. I would rather over do it in the truck myself and work it less. My Titan is rated for 10000 and has a payload of 1300. But I have had my 7500lb work trailer on the back and though power wise it did the job well, I hated the squat and working the truck that close to its capacity.

Personal preference really

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the truck can't handle towing 7000 lbs then why do the manufacturers Rate it to tow 9500 lbs?
The same reason they rate the mileage a lot higher than actual consumer results. There is a big difference between what works in perfect conditions and what works in real life.

Cummins610

Reaction score
I would get yourself a older diesel, or if it's newer do the deletes and be happy. A 1/2 ton in the mountains with a large enclosed trailer in winter is not a place I want to be. Every one of those trucks you listed is going to down shift like crazy and get horrid mileage pulling. If you want the 1/2 ton buy what ever is the best deal/best shape, because they're all the same boat towing.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't tow the max but I assume 75% of the rating should be OK? Your telling me its not safe to two 7000 lbs with a half ton rated for 9500? This is without going over weights on axles.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't tow the max but I assume 75% of the rating should be OK? Your telling me its not safe to two 7000 lbs with a half ton rated for 9500? This is without going over weights on axles.
Do as you please, it may be perfectly safe. I've never done it but most half tons I see towing 30'+ foot trailers look pretty sketchy.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 27 and it is under 7000 loaded. Its a travel trailer so no winter driving or mountains.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would get yourself a older diesel, or if it's newer do the deletes and be happy. A 1/2 ton in the mountains with a large enclosed trailer in winter is not a place I want to be. Every one of those trucks you listed is going to down shift like crazy and get horrid mileage pulling. If you want the 1/2 ton buy what ever is the best deal/best shape, because they're all the same boat towing.

I'm leery of diesels. Never owned one. Most older and quite a few newer ones in my price range have lots of kilometres. I know the engines are supposed to last but I'm concerned about everything else. There seems to be a lot of 08 to 11 F350s with 6l diesels. Heard they're good for towing heavy loads but fuel economy sounds pretty bad. Add in all of the horror stories about egr's and whatever else, it makes a guy think twice.

All of my towing will be from Okotoks to Fernie. Not too much climbing especially driving #2 to #3 then west.
Bigger, longer trips are done with a buddies duramax. More people, more sleds and more gear.

I consider a 2 place enclosed well within the capabilities of a half ton.
Little bit of the "Jone's" as well. Hard to go older when friends are driving newer. That being said if I came across an older rig in great condition, I would seriously consider it. I am amazed at the mileage my buddies 05 duramax gets hauling 4 sleds and gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm leery of diesels. Never owned one. Most older and quite a few newer ones in my price range have lots of kilometres. I know the engines are supposed to last but I'm concerned about everything else. There seems to be a lot of 08 to 11 F350s with 6l diesels. Heard they're good for towing heavy loads but fuel economy sounds pretty bad. Add in all of the horror stories about egr's and whatever else, it makes a guy think twice.

All of my towing will be from Okotoks to Fernie. Not too much climbing especially driving #2 to #3 then west.
Bigger, longer trips are done with a buddies duramax. More people, more sleds and more gear.

I consider a 2 place enclosed well within the capabilities of a half ton.
Little bit of the "Jone's" as well. Hard to go older when friends are driving newer. That being said if I came across an older rig in great condition, I would seriously consider it. I am amazed at the mileage my buddies 05 duramax gets hauling 4 sleds and gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any major repair on a diesel can easily cost more than an entire motor on a gas, buy a gas and be happy, use the diesel option money to buy a newer truck with less kilometers and more options. Never mind the half-ton naysayers, a half-ton is more than enough truck for your application.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any major repair on a diesel can easily cost more than an entire motor on a gas, buy a gas and be happy, use the diesel option money to buy a newer truck with less kilometers and more options. Never mind the half-ton naysayers, a half-ton is more than enough truck for your application.
That's a big concern. A friend of mine got his insurance payout on his trailer ($8k) and then injectors went on his truck and the bill to replace the motor was $8k.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned a 2010 Silverado with a 5.3 and now gone to a F150 with the 'Ecoboost'. I have a 28' Jayco Trailer, that actually weighs about 6000# with water and our stuff in it. The 5.3 I found, huffed and puffed a lot on some of the hills, and seemed to hang out a lot on the 3000rpm range. It worked hard to pull that. I'm not sure I would go any heavier with that truck. I just found it to be laboured.

Pulling the same trailer with the F150, is way easier. The motor doesn't work nearly as hard, and chugs up some decent hills right around 1800-2000 rpm, which I love. It's nice to have all the torque down low. Fuel economy is crappy pulling the trailer but it is what it is. I have the mileage good empty (11.5 on the highway).

I hummed and hawed over the 5.0 too, but chose this as I felt it would pull a lot nicer. I know the 5.0 is a really reliable mill but it wasn't as torquey as the Eco. That being said, I'm on warranty with this V6 for 5 years, so that is a bit of comfort. Ask me again in 5 years how I feel about it. Not a lot of info about long term longevity of the V6 (140k on ward).

I don't miss that 5.3 GM at all. Mine was an extended cab with 6.5 box. The F150 has a huge cab which I like and you can get the 6.5 box.

I'm not sure I would want to pull more than 6000# with any half ton. That's why bigger trucks exist. I mean I guess you could do it, but doesn't mean you should. I sort of cringe when I see these half ton's with giant fifth wheels hooked on....it's just a ton of weight that I couldn't imagine strapping on my 1/2 ton.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned a 2010 Silverado with a 5.3 and now gone to a F150 with the 'Ecoboost'. I have a 28' Jayco Trailer, that actually weighs about 6000# with water and our stuff in it. The 5.3 I found, huffed and puffed a lot on some of the hills, and seemed to hang out a lot on the 3000rpm range. It worked hard to pull that. I'm not sure I would go any heavier with that truck. I just found it to be laboured.

I'm not sure I would want to pull more than 6000# with any half ton. That's why bigger trucks exist. I mean I guess you could do it, but doesn't mean you should. I sort of cringe when I see these half ton's with giant fifth wheels hooked on....it's just a ton of weight that I couldn't imagine strapping on my 1/2 ton.

I think what many people forget is a truck is supposed to work when loaded, that's the point, yes there will be times when you require full throttle to climb a hill and the rad fan may kick in to keep it cool, but don't be alarmed this is Normal you don't need a bigger truck, if you want a bigger truck that's cool, but don't tell me you needed it.

Sorry not trying to be an a$$, but modern pickups are very capable, much more so than the average person realizes.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting....... about all of these 1/2 tons pulling these weights. I would like to see what the drivers door label says, what you are good for? I don't doubt that the motor has the balls to pull your trailer, but just an honest question.

Top Bottom