best family unit

sparky 800

Reaction score
what is the best all around unit? plan on riding west of rocky, around home (stettler)? have young son that will not stay awake on quad so was thinking car seat in side by side. any suggestions?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I would go with the Rhino,they seem to be really dependable,want to go faster..........Razor! I have a Prowler and really like it but there are more options and parts available for the Rhino's.
My son loves ours!
catmando!

Attachments

• IMG_0886.JPG
    IMG_0886.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 284

oldernotwiser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, Bought the Rhino, but the wife and daughter have taken it over. They love it. Me back on the trailblazer for now.:(

Attachments

• IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 249

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well Lyle, I'm sure you kid was having a blast but the look in his eyes say otherwise.
Great photo and exactly where you what to play with the kids.

:specool: :Cla:

Well Guess who was up to his armpits about ten feet in front of me,Me and my boy were on a rescue mission to save our fearless leader.You have to meet my son,He wanted to drive it out LOL!
catmando!

sparky 800

Reaction score
thanks for the info. after talking to some people around home there telling me that after july 1 you wouldn't be able to ride anything over 800 pounds on crown land. have you guys herad that.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info. after talking to some people around home there telling me that after july 1 you wouldn't be able to ride anything over 800 pounds on crown land. have you guys herad that.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that 800# rule is for some of the wilderness parks west of Calgary.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Ranger for just the reason of packing family. Mounted a 3rd row seat from a Expedition in the box and built a roll bar extension. Bought a $3.50 tarp from Peavey that gives everyone rain protection. Strap 2 car seats in the back for the kids and me and the missus can sit up front. Have had 4 kids and 2 adults in the rig. Haven't got all of the bugs worked out yet but it looks like it will work good.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor to that, but I heard it was 800cc and 1000 pounds. Trying to keep the 4x4 trucks out.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I bought a Ranger for just the reason of packing family. Mounted a 3rd row seat from a Expedition in the box and built a roll bar extension. Bought a $3.50 tarp from Peavey that gives everyone rain protection. Strap 2 car seats in the back for the kids and me and the missus can sit up front. Have had 4 kids and 2 adults in the rig. Haven't got all of the bugs worked out yet but it looks like it will work good.

lets see some pics of your mods!

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will post some pictures as soon as I get back from bear hunting. Got it all stripped off for the bush.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why dont you wait and take a look at the TOMCAR. From the rumors, they are coming out with a 4WD version in the near future. My Uncle has on now and it has a awsome ride, but the fact that its 2WD makes it kind of a dog in some situations.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures of how I set mine up. I bolted two rails to the box mounting points. These accept the factory mount points on the Expedition seat. I mounted two ratchet straps to the rear rail and use these to secure the car seats. The back of the seat is basically touching the end gate with just enough room to put a short handled spade in between.

The tarp comes down in the back to the top of the seat. I also used some netting from a trampoline surround and built side nets. They are attached to pipes that drop in to the holes in the sides of the box. They stretch from just behind the factory roll bar to just in front of mine. This was done to keep branches from slapping the kids and to keep their arms inside.

There is enough room in front of the seat for a diaper bag and a cooler for snacks.

In the picture the side nets are in the loading position, not in the using position.

Attachments

• small.JPG
    small.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 183
  • P1010449.JPG
    P1010449.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Nor-Val

Reaction score
I set up a Rhino with a full roll cage, roof and only 1 rear seat (only have 1 kid) but have a friend i ride with that has a bench in the back of his. We are building 1 more with the bench in back and the full roll cage for another buddy. (2 kids 2yrs old and 5yrs old). I have had rhinos since 05 and find them very very reliable. Not sure how to post pics out of my computer to show you . lol

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey snort, change that bag once in a while
Never mind we know were you are. Please keep up wind.

Muddy Waters

Reaction score

You obviously have more time than I do Snort! I have a Ranger as well, but I bought a PRP rear bench and a cage extension for mine at Cycle Works West. I also purchased 3 of the Simpson safety harnesses for the back seat to keep everyone safe and sound in the event of a rollover. Looks cool and is quick and effective for you non-mechanical and busy guys like me!

M.W.

Rhino Mama

Reaction score
hi sparky we have too lil guys 5yrs an 2 yrs. We have a rhino an we added bench seat with seat belts in back which turned out great for our 2 yr old an car seat, we just got done adding bars too the back now we can all go an we are all safe. Will have better pictures soon.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Seen Lots Of Side By Side Utility Vehicles In Mexico(street Legal Too???) That Were Fixed Up With A Rear Bench Or Buckets So They Could Carry 4 People.... Yours Looks Professionally Done... Nice Job!

Top Bottom