Best deep snow gaiters/ pants

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just tired of snow in boots when in deep powder! Want to know what pants have best gaiters? I'm always totally dry until digging out buddy's, or yes myself. I have FXR now, and like them except for the gaiters. Looking for non insulated pants for mountain backcountry riding? Klim, MOTORFIST?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Myself I just switched to Patagonia soft shell pants and have no need for gaiters. I Am using there mountaineering/alpine climbing pants, highly doubt I will go back to klim again.

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of Patagonia before for sledding? I did check them out online, is there somewhere in Calgary that sells them, seem to have a lot to choose from. Would be nice to check them out? Was looking at the new Klim stealth pant, but very pricey, as the Patagonia are as well.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to MotorFist pants this and they are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Patagonia makes great gear for boarders and skiers. I haven't seen the pant oler1234 mentioned and I don't know if it would handle the rigours of Kootenay tree riding. Klim work very well and I have used that brand pretty much since the get-go of my mountain riding journey. You can normally get last years stock at the sled shows (Edmonton near the end of Oct and Saskatoon in early Nov.) if you get there early. They are very reasonably priced. Good luck with your decision, fs

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doug, I mostly ride in Fernie, and will see you at the snow show again , this October. When I'm there I will most likely get some klim freeride pants, or the Motorfist recon pant. Will get either one, just want the best gaiter system. I do have the MF stompers, and love them!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks Doug, I mostly ride in Fernie, and will see you at the snow show again , this October. When I'm there I will most likely get some klim freeride pants, or the Motorfist recon pant. Will get either one, just want the best gaiter system. I do have the MF stompers, and love them!

I wear the Togwotee bibs. They are uninsulated. As mentioned above, the "gater" needs to be snapped to the laces. IMHO they are an awesome pant and I have a lot of friends that really like the MotorFist. Can't go wrong with either!

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Patagonia pants are as good as it gets for what they are made to do. My wife sleds in hers and she is the first to tell you they are not made to be sledding in. The rip stop and abrasion resistance is differnt in a pant that is made to sled in.
We wish you the best of luck finding a pant that works for you.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just tired of snow in boots when in deep powder! Want to know what pants have best gaiters? I'm always totally dry until digging out buddy's, or yes myself. I have FXR now, and like them except for the gaiters. Looking for non insulated pants for mountain backcountry riding? Klim, MOTORFIST?

Couple wraps of duct tape before you head out and no snow in boots.
Been running the Klim pants since they first came out and no complaints so far..

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I be done the duct tape, just don't like to or think we should have to. My buds have the MF pants and love them, but they don't no what some of the clips are for ( ones on the back of gaiters ) also I just want the pants Doug as I put out to much heat to have bibs :) I will most Likely get the Klim freeride as I thought the MF recon pants seemed heavier than the Klim ones?

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been riding with the 08-09 Klim Freeride pants for 4 seasons now. Great pants, have a decent gator that when buttoned on to your laces will keep snow out. Lightweight and Durable. I ripped them this year on my running boards but they had taken many slides down the running boards and been hooked on many trees before and this is the first time they actually ripped. They are starting to lose there waterproof now but have some heavy use. I've melted them on my pipe and still didn't burn a hole through. Far more impressive then the Powercross pullover I bought with them and tore through in the first season. I'll be buying another pair.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been riding with Arc'teryx bibbed ski pants for four seasons. They were extremely expensive when I purchased them but are a fantastic pant. The gaitors are awesome. BUT... what I have learned is that ski / board pants are not made for the riggers of sledding. I got bucked off last winter in a low visibility day and the first time my knee came down on the board I ripped a hole in them. In the future I will by sled pants for sledding because they are reinforced where required and ski pants for skiing. I should have spent money 4 yeas ago on some Klims. Now I need to buy both.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why everyone says Patagonia is not for the trees... If you have ever ridden with me you'd know to bring a chain saw or your lucky hack saw.... The purcells have some thick bush around here for those stash areas no one knows about ;)

to be honest I wish there were more hybird pants, hard and soft shell combo. Mine work great but past -12/15 she's getting cold on the legs.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Not sure why everyone says Patagonia is not for the trees... If you have ever ridden with me you'd know to bring a chain saw or your lucky hack saw.... The purcells have some thick bush around here for those stash areas no one knows about ;)

to be honest I wish there were more hybird pants, hard and soft shell combo. Mine work great but past -12/15 she's getting cold on the legs.

One pair of light (see thru') polyester under the Towogotee and have never been cold. I try not to ride below -20.............

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't speak to their pants but I have a patagonia shell that I paid $400 for and it is the worst shell I have ever owned! zipper crapped out after wearing it 3 times....to work as a rain jacket down town. Took 6 weeks for them to warranty it. I wore it a few times sledding and it's already got a puncture. I cannot imagine a pair of thier pants would last long around running boards and trees.

One the other side, my Klim tog pants are great, although the gaiter does slip up every once in a while and then snow in the boot. usually while i'm walking around getting sleds unstuck. You shouldn't have too but some black duct tape works like a charm. Mine are 5 yrs old!

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's totally my issue is the gaiters, they unhook when walking around getting unstuck. Other than that I've had my pants 4 yrs, and they are still like new, just the gaiters suck! I guess I could do the duct tape like I used to have to use on my old snowboard boots in the deep stuff.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
although the gaiter does slip up every once in a while and then snow in the boot. usually while i'm walking around getting sleds unstuck. You shouldn't have too but some black duct tape works like a charm. Mine are 5 yrs old!

That's totally my issue is the gaiters, they unhook when walking around getting unstuck. Other than that I've had my pants 4 yrs, and they are still like new, just the gaiters suck! I guess I could do the duct tape like I used to have to use on my old snowboard boots in the deep stuff.

Well guys, I ride 50-100 days a year and never have I had the gaiters come undone. I put them on in my gear room and drive to the staging area and take them off in the gear room when I get home. My better half is stuck quite a bit (hers have never come undone either BTW), the "friends I take snowmobiling" are stuck quite a bit, I walk quite a bit for video shots, and for 5 pairs now, not an issue. I virtually have a new pair every year that has been replaced on warranty due to leaking. One year I had two pair!

I've had tears, broken zipper pullers, broken zippers, and leaks but never a problem with the gaiters.......:D

The only thing I can think of is maybe sizing is a problem and because the legs are short they are pulling on the snaps. They doo come in tall sizes.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have long legs and can't clip the inner liner down low enough on my boots to keep them in place. So I use actual Gaiters:

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MOTORFIST!!! Hands down the best you can get, it truly is great gear, and great people. The best customer service you could ever imagine, they care about the customer. Once you go Motorfist you will never wear anything else. I wouldn't even consider any other gear after riding in Motorfist gear for the last 3 years!

Top Bottom