Best chip for a 06 3500 cummins

ski-doo

Reaction score
Just looking for some advice on getting a chip for my 06 cummins. Right now i have got a 6"lift, 5" mbrp exhaust, and aem cold air intake. I am just looking to get a bit better fuel mileage is all. I have heard the smarty programmer is one of the best for them.

Bandit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Edge is ok, but runs hot. Watch your egt's if towing. Not much experience with diablo, but I believe it makes it's power by raising rail pressure, which in turn is hard on injectors. For a good tuner go with the smarty or smarty junior. The smarty jr is pretty simple and easy to use.

Honestly though, your driving a diesel with 6" of lift. Your not going to get that great of milage. best bet for good milage would be to keep it between 100 and 105km/hr.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Edge Juice with attitude. I have run these on two of mine and put them in at least a dozen. You can program it to back off the fuel when the egt gets to hot, trans slips, clutch slips, torque slips.. So you can have all your performance but if your getting into damage zone it backs off chip. Not a bang shut off but a gradual back down. For example auto trans stock on level 5 extreme. your pulling a hill and your torque converter cant hold it, it will start beeping and at the same time in a percentage back off the fuel till its locked back in.

ski-doo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I think i have limited it down to the h/s, edge, or smarty. I have heard some stories about some of the tuners causing an extremly high idle on an automatic. Has anyone experienced this? I also still have 3 year 60000km warranty on it and dont want to void that either. They told me I can run a chip and it wont void it but has anyone run into warranty issues because of this?

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run same basic truck have a bully dog with outlook great milage great power internet updateable works for me been in my truck since it had 50 000k now at 220000 never a problem

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Nope.... Never heard of this. The normal cold idle up occurs, but that's it. The edge also has the turbo cool down option, where the engine will idle for specified time or temperature after you turn the engine off, to help prevent "hot shutdown" and damage to the turbo........

thanks for all the info. I think i have limited it down to the h/s, edge, or smarty. i have heard some stories about some of the tuners causing an extremly high idle on an automatic. has anyone experienced this? I also still have 3 year 60000km warranty on it and dont want to void that either. They told me i can run a chip and it wont void it but has anyone run into warranty issues because of this?

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
leave it stock,,,friend of mine has pair of 1990 12 valve 2500s over million on each,,same pump..stock...5 getrag trannys,but same motors.not many of these new 24 valves will last half that..

Dragin

Reaction score
leave it stock,,,friend of mine has pair of 1990 12 valve 2500s over million on each,,same pump..stock...5 getrag trannys,but same motors.not many of these new 24 valves will last half that..

Sure those motors were reliable but they don't put out near the hp or the torque and they had mechanical injection pumps totally different beast.

If your thinking smarty just keep in mind you'll have to buy gauges and install them too which is a pain. Thats a big reason why I went with an h&s on my 08 the install was way faster, cleaner and I can still watch all my vitals.

And from the list of mods already done I can tell you already agree stock sucks!🍻🏁

Top Bottom