Best "all purpose" sled?

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Howdy all. I'm thinking of getting back into sledding after being out of it for 20+ years. I want a machine that will be good on trails, open country and bush riding. The plan is to ride it in winter where we ride our quads in the summer. I'm not interested in the high altitude mountain riding, high marking stuff, but wouldn't be adverse to doing some valley and trail riding in the mountains. I'd prefer a four stroke just for reliability and longevity reasons, but my knowledge of modern injected two strokes is limited, so I'd be open to hearing about them too. Electric start and reverse are a must, and something that rides reasonably comfortably,but handles well.
Ive looked at manufacturers websites and I'm drawn to machines like the bearcat or the expedition from BRP.
Bear in mind I'm just now educating myself, and my last machine was a 1976 John Deere model 600. Please try not to turn this into a brand war. I'm hoping to use everybody's knowledge and experience to help me make a good, educated decision. Probably gonna buy healthy used machine, say 2012 and newer.
TIA.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Howdy all. I'm thinking of getting back into sledding after being out of it for 20+ years. I want a machine that will be good on trails, open country and bush riding. The plan is to ride it in winter where we ride our quads in the summer. I'm not interested in the high altitude mountain riding, high marking stuff, but wouldn't be adverse to doing some valley and trail riding in the mountains. I'd prefer a four stroke just for reliability and longevity reasons, but my knowledge of modern injected two strokes is limited, so I'd be open to hearing about them too. Electric start and reverse are a must, and something that rides reasonably comfortably,but handles well.
Ive looked at manufacturers websites and I'm drawn to machines like the bearcat or the expedition from BRP. good luck do never get stuck with the bearcat o
Bear in mind I'm just now educating myself, and my last machine was a 1976 John Deere model 600. Please try not to turn this into a brand war. I'm hoping to use everybody's knowledge and experience to help me make a good, educated decision. Probably gonna buy healthy used machine, say 2012 and newer.
TIA.
interesting choice very heavy sleds do not get stuck another alternative is a 600cc two stroke in a similar platform to what you are thinking of in the skidoo model way lighter and a bullit proof motor build one one line.
these engines come with 3 or 4 year warranties great value for the money

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was in same boat..just got back into it 2 years ago....skidoo...600cc...was nothing like this when we were ridein before...600 is plenty git up and go and whats more when all yer buddies are suckin fumes with their 800s you'll still be rollin...like the fact thier reliable...mine starts everytime...got electric start with manual pull setup added just in case starter pukes.....quite happy

oh l went with BCX 154/600

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was in same boat..just got back into it 2 years ago....skidoo...600cc...was nothing like this when we were ridein before...600 is plenty git up and go and whats more when all yer buddies are suckin fumes with their 800s you'll still be rollin...like the fact thier reliable...mine starts everytime...got electric start with manual pull setup added just in case starter pukes.....quite happy

oh l went with BCX 154/600
600s make of all brands are making over 120 hp above sea level way easier on clutches and other components best sleds out there for lighter people higher resale than the 800 2 smokes as well

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say renegade 600 etec. Light and fun with some off trail capability and decent suspension to handle a rough trail. 137 track.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
ever considered a Yamaha 4 stroke... they make some excellent trail machines, and ride great... something worth looking into. 4 stroke trail sleds will last for ever, and are quiet and handle well and are still deceivingly quick. just a thought.....

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ever considered a Yamaha 4 stroke... they make some excellent trail machines, and ride great... something worth looking into. 4 stroke trail sleds will last for ever, and are quiet and handle well and are still deceivingly quick. just a thought.....

As well you could most likely get a Yamaha four stroke quite cheap, on the heavy side but are extremely reliable. I don't think there is a pull start..

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best "all purpose" sled?

For what your looking for I would go with the Expedtion. 1200 or 600 and now a 800 etec .
800 is way to pricey IMO .
I had the 600 etec and great for what your wanting.
Very easy on fuel and oil.
Super nice ride and good for doubling.

Last edited:

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This year bought a Tundra 600ace had it during hunting season and have had it out with 6-800s last weekend and kept up and went just as fast on cutlines maybe not as igile as a mountain sled but its not a mountain sled AND went 2 days of riding on 30ish liters of fuel at 145kms. I actually love the sled bought it used with 1400kms and same belt on it changed it to new one just cause.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This year bought a Tundra 600ace had it during hunting season and have had it out with 6-800s last weekend and kept up and went just as fast on cutlines maybe not as igile as a mountain sled but its not a mountain sled AND went 2 days of riding on 30ish liters of fuel at 145kms. I actually love the sled bought it used with 1400kms and same belt on it changed it to new one just cause.
Buddy of mine is currently on a '10 550F 154" and he's thinking about going to an Ace 600.
Have you ridden both to be able to give a comparison?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Megrizzly

Reaction score
Been around quite a few machines that your describing. Theres not much point buying a utility machine such as a bearcat or expedition if your not going to work them. Honestly, I think a very good all purpose machine is the 600 voyageur. Play off-trail on friday, rip down the trails saturday and haul firewood on sunday.

The 600 ace is an excellent motor with ridiculous fuel mileage. Although it can keep up quite fine, it certainly doesn't have the fun factor that the higher hp 600's offer. I'd be quite curious on the 900 ace though.

TryHonesty

Reaction score
2012+ and up Polaris 600 RMK 144: trail, prairie, mountain, trees, for the price its hard to beat. Seat is long enough for two up, plenty of storage with underseat and tunnel bag. Once its broken in its quite good on fuel.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine is currently on a '10 550F 154" and he's thinking about going to an Ace 600.
Have you ridden both to be able to give a comparison?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Yes i have tried it and noisier, more vibration, power wise the same feeling maybe the 550 seems quicker

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
Check a few Yamaha and artic cat dealerships for late model 2014 viper ltx or 2014 7000 artic cats. The 4 stroke motor is Yamaha and rest is artic cat. Great trail machines and I seen a few dealerships having get deals on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poo time

Reaction score
Imo I would check out the brp etec 600, the polaris Indy 600 and rmk 600 with 144 track. All excellent machines. I had a 4 stroke which was a very dependable sled but if you get stuck you better have help to get it out.

Dzl

Reaction score
my 2015 BCX 800 is the perfect sled for those types of riding conditions. Too bad ski doo effed it up for 2016 by trying to turn it into another damn summit by taking the r-motion out and installing the t-motion skid

wheels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 550 Indy voyager is a good machine. I run two 550s don't have to run premium gas or expensive synthetic oils and a belt lasts for ever. Being fan cooled when the snow is skinny or your just not moving fast cooling isn't an issue like a liquid cooled machine. You can get many different options on them as well. Pretty decent value. My two cents.

Top Bottom