Bent frame..

llloyd

Reaction score
G/f hit a tree pretty hard with her new 550. Dropped it off at the shop, they said the engine is about 3mm from where it should be and they are going to try and pull the frame bac kinto place but if they can't its pretty much a writeoff. Even then theres a couple G's of parts to replace (bulkhead etc).

I'm no mechanic, but 3mm doesn't sound like a whole lot. What is the real world impact of having it out of alignment that much? If it just tracks a tiny bit off she'd never notice, but if it means it could snap in half at any second of course i don't want to take any chances.

If its not bad and not a safety issue i'd just as soon not spend another 7 grand on a new one.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
G/f hit a tree pretty hard with her new 550. Dropped it off at the shop, they said the engine is about 3mm from where it should be and they are going to try and pull the frame bac kinto place but if they can't its pretty much a writeoff. Even then theres a couple G's of parts to replace (bulkhead etc).

I'm no mechanic, but 3mm doesn't sound like a whole lot. What is the real world impact of having it out of alignment that much? If it just tracks a tiny bit off she'd never notice, but if it means it could snap in half at any second of course i don't want to take any chances.

If its not bad and not a safety issue i'd just as soon not spend another 7 grand on a new one.

Is your girlfriend ok?..

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could you post some photos, Is this a Ski doo 550. You may be able to change out some parts then possibly straighten out the damaged parst it is attached to. We did this on a Summit 800. With dismantling it then observing it closer they may be done depending on the extent.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 mm is more than it sounds. the track wont run straight and burn things up. the clutch will be out of alignment which will affect performance and smoke belts. everything mechanical has distance tollerances. if 3 mm makes it out of spec then its hooped. this is a good time of year to get better deals on new ones :d

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
This depends where the frame is bent as to how 3mm will affect anything.... Have you considered going through insurance?? I went through insurance on my 1000rt when I hit a large rock(size of a car), and my dealer gave me an estimate that I submitted to insurance and they gave me the check and I did all the work myself and found new/used and take-off pieces to repair the whole front of the sled.... better than new, and still pocketed about $2000.00.

Last edited:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine did the same thing and we thought it was OK. Took it to the dealer however and they said the primary was actually rubbing a little on the frame so ... no good. As mention earlier you'll be forever changing belts etc. This particular machine was a right off with 150km on it!

If you want you could try a floating secondary and just see how it performs and go from there. Personally I wouldn't throw in the towel until I had just cause. :beer::):beer:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
friend of mine did the same thing and we thought it was ok. Took it to the dealer however and they said the primary was actually rubbing a little on the frame so ... No good. As mention earlier you'll be forever changing belts etc. This particular machine was a right off with 150km on it!

If you want you could try a floating secondary and just see how it performs and go from there. Personally i wouldn't throw in the towel until i had just cause. :beer::):beer:

we need to know how the engine is out of alignment.... If pushed straight back, then a shorter belt could be used.... If one side is pushed back more than the other by 3mm, then a floating secondary(duck) would be beneficial. ..... Lloyd needs to get us more information, before we can help him with anymore advice....

Lloyd: Can you get the dealer to draw a picture of how they think it is out 3mm and where it is out????

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
we need to know how the engine is out of alignment.... If pushed straight back, then a shorter belt could be used.... If one side is pushed back more than the other by 3mm, then a floating secondary(duck) would be beneficial. ..... Lloyd needs to get us more information, before we can help him with anymore advice....

Lloyd: Can you get the dealer to draw a picture of how they think it is out 3mm and where it is out????

Yup I agree, lots of variables but in these tough times any dealer is lookin for work if you know what I mean. I would find out exactly what the problem was and post back here before committing to any thing. We have a sled with a 4mm bend right now that we're evaluating this weekend. Keep the fingers crossed and the beer cold! :beer::d:beer:

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not be scare with a little time and a patence with few gauges it can be fixed
problem is the shop rates are so high that were the cost come in .we fix one
that hit a rock it was 3'' out .So it can be done it came out real well sent to
the dealer after to get it check out they ask if we do another that was in a
head on we said noooo and ran haha

Top Bottom