Bent Bulkhead

Stever

Reaction score
I hit a rock pile!! and bent the bulkhead slightly on my '06 Summit X 151, if I measure from the Hem-joint on the upper A arm to the back of the tunnel I'm 3/4" shorter on the damaged side. When I tipped the sled on it's side I notice that aluminum 'L' Bracket that the lower A-arm bolts to is bent slightly (1/16"). When I hit the rock pile, it also bent my ski! I took the carbides off and it's still stayed bent. What (if any) bulkhead bend is acceptable? I realize it's a complete tear down to replace the bulkhead, does anyone have experience doing this? Should I just scrap the sled? Thanks for anyones input. I could get some pics if that would help.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the flying nun is NFG. PM highmarkx he just replaced his. Not a huge job, just nuts and bolts.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny... I just replyied to a post reguarding "insurance" on this site and referred to the same "bulkhead" issue. My brother repaired similar damage (but worse) to his '05 Rev when the bulkhead was twisted real bad. It did require a taredown of the front end and some creative use of a port-a-power and some experience with metalurgy? Before you scrap or part out your sled, think about finding a way to straighten out the bulkhead. Does'nt sound like you bent it too bad? I know the Rev bulkheads are known for collapsing rather easily but they can be straighten as well. :)

Attach some pics of the damage if you can.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maN I did the same, Hit a tree with my 2004 Summit 151 but I am like 5 inches out on the right side, WHO wants a summer project, I need help.
maybe we can rebuild ours together, let me know what your plan is. let see some pics, where you from?

Stever

Reaction score
I would like to fix it, if it's reasonable, the sled only has like 700km's on it and is showroom, is there a way to strengthen it so I don't do it again, like add stiffeners?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is just thge front nun thats bent it's not bad to fix.. Check to see if the part of the bulkhead behind your primary clutch looks bent(bowed out).. And check the mag side of the bulkhead to.. But it sounds like it's just a nunn.. The nunn's are just bolted and riveted on...

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
YUP, FLYING NUNS ARE VERY COMMON ON THE REV... BUT ITS A FAIRLY BIG JOB... HAVE TO TEAR OUT THE ENGINE ETC AND DRILL A LOT OF RIVETS AND THEN REPLACE... THEY ARE BUILT TO COLLAPSE RATHER THAN BEND TUNNELS AND BULKHEADS....TAKE SOME PICS AND WE CAN ALL LAUGH, OOOPS, I MEAN GIVE YOU ARE BESTEST GUESSES....... ;)

Stever

Reaction score
There is a bow behind the clutch, Man I never even hit that hard. If I straightened it out, then made a plate to stiffen it say 3/16" aluminum plate. My big concern is not to bend it again or further, if I just straightend it I would now even a weaker member. There has got to be some way to correct this as it seems pretty common.

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YUP, FLYING NUNS ARE VERY COMMON ON THE REV... BUT ITS A FAIRLY BIG JOB... HAVE TO TEAR OUT THE ENGINE ETC AND DRILL A LOT OF RIVETS AND THEN REPLACE... THEY ARE BUILT TO COLLAPSE RATHER THAN BEND TUNNELS AND BULKHEADS....TAKE SOME PICS AND WE CAN ALL LAUGH, OOOPS, I MEAN GIVE YOU ARE BESTEST GUESSES....... ;)

I'm not a ski doo man, but the nun that highmarkx replaced was on a rt 1000. Not sure if that is any different than the rev, but there is no need to pull the engine at all. It looks like a big job, but it could be done in a day with ease.:twocents:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
No you shouldn't have to pull the engine. There are quite a few rivets to take out but most rivets are replaced with bolts. Its not a real big job. On a scale of 1-24 beers I give it a solid 15, split over two nights. The cost of the nun is $280 and if you have a shop put it in your looking at around 6 hours labour

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a bow behind the clutch, Man I never even hit that hard. If I straightened it out, then made a plate to stiffen it say 3/16" aluminum plate. My big concern is not to bend it again or further, if I just straightend it I would now even a weaker member. There has got to be some way to correct this as it seems pretty common.

Bent mine the second day I had the sled and was thinking of the same fix but I got lazy and straightened the nun with my boot. One ski is 1" back and I've been riding it like that for three years..........hmmmm... maybe why I crash so much!!!!:D

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Bent mine the second day I had the sled and was thinking of the same fix but I got lazy and straightened the nun with my boot. One ski is 1" back and I've been riding it like that for three years..........hmmmm... maybe why I crash so much!!!!:D

After riding with you on the weekend I can say that your bent nun is not holding YOU back at all snochuk :D Your a wild man. Fun ride.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What you can do is , buy a new metal plate that runs on the inside of that part of the bulkhead.. But you'll have to pull the motor to do that, to just change the nunn you don't have to pull the motor(only if your replacing the front plate also).. But specialty used to sell a stiffener for the pto side that braced to nunn to the motor, i think that we are out of them now..Or for right now anyways, but we also have a stiffener for the mag side of the bilkhead.. But your's should be fixable, just have to pull motor out and change the metal plate on the inside of pto sulkhead side.. Stop by the shop or give me a call and i can expalin more for you..

Stever

Reaction score
Actually I was by specialty today and they showed me where to look for damage, they said they don't sell that PTO side support anymore, but told me exactly what you said (replace the inner brace). I think if I do it I will beef that up where I have room, as I'm sure I will hit something again it's just a matter of time. How can I tell if the NUN is bent, cause from what I can see it's fine, but there are allot of experts on here that can really determine the extent of the damage, which will make my decision to replace or repair the sled. Thanks

Steve

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With how far yoiul'll have to tear it apart to fix the bulkhead, it isnt much more for the nunn.. Nunn are just between 2-300.00 So not bad.. But if it's bent everything else like that i'll imagine that the nunn is tweaked.. I wasnt sure if we had any of the pto stiffners left, but i guess not..

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trust me its bent BAD ENOUGH there wont be a bolt or rivet left in it!!!!

Stever

Reaction score
I made an attempt at straightening out my left side with a little success, the big issue is I have nothing to push/pull against. I used the starter mounting bolt but don't want to apply to much force against it. What I end up with is the PTO side pushed back about 1/4" resulting in about 1/2" difference in the skis. I think the next thing will be to pull the motor and trey to straighten it out further with the added room. On the positive side the NUN has no obvious damage but must be tweaked 1/4" to allow for the bend in the tunnel, we'll see what it looks like once I get the tunnel straight. Once I got looking at this I see a real simple way this could have been prevented; a bolt on brace above the clutch tying the torque stopper mount to the A-arm mount, one will definitely be installed once this gets straight. Any tricks to removing the engine?

Thanks
Steve

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is just thge front nun thats bent it's not bad to fix.. Check to see if the part of the bulkhead behind your primary clutch looks bent(bowed out).. And check the mag side of the bulkhead to.. But it sounds like it's just a nunn.. The nunn's are just bolted and riveted on...

You mean you don't want him to bring the sled to SPECIALTY???? :eek: :confused: What happened to you?? lol Just buggin. :D

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If he wishes to bring it in to the shop for us to fix it for him that is no peoblem we can do that.. I was just giving him some pointers to look at his machine and kinda assess how bad it's bent..

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If he wishes to bring it in to the shop for us to fix it for him that is no peoblem we can do that.. I was just giving him some pointers to look at his machine and kinda assess how bad it's bent..

Totally fine...I was just buggin...no problem. :)

Top Bottom