Climbing hills at gorman last weekend good pulls
all but mine cratered a belt
Any fed back would be helpfull
thanks in advance

Blair

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you adjust your clutches, change the gearing, or look at vent kits?

Also, check out the other threads on the XP's

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Xp got over 400 miles on the first stock belt. It pulled a cord when BBtoys and I were racing down the trail out of renshaw. I seen speeds up to 90 MPH. I never gave it a chance to cool down on the ride out and I blew a cord about three inches long. The belt was still in good shape, I could have cut the cord and burned it with a lighter and the belt would have worked fine. But I heard BRP was repalcing them and I wanted to try out the 377 replacement for the 166. so I pulled the cord out about 3/4`s of the way around the belt and took it back. I have added weight and changed the spring in the primary which I think all the XP`s needed, cost me $30 plus the puller, money well spent because I know I won`t blow a belt on the hill and ruin my weekend.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello sports fans

What is the skinny on belts for the xp
Now have 300 miles on mine and belt looks as good as new
Climbing hills at gorman last weekend good pulls
all but mine cratered a belt
Any fed back would be helpfull
thanks in advance

Blair

Hey bhowes,

I have the same XP as you have. My belt has been wearing excessively, but still looks like new if you just look at the belt. You can tell the wear from all the belt dust around the clutch area, and a fair bit of black belt marks down on the lower parts of the primary. Also, after a run, not full out but after a 1/2 throttle 1 minute climb or running around in deeper snow at 1/2 throttle, the primary clutch was so hot I could not hold hand to it for more than about 1/2 second. In spite of these things, the belt still looks very good at about 350 miles, but based on the amount of belt dust and clutch temps, it's still not right. Could be the only reason I haven't blown the belt yet is because I am a pretty casual rider, when we went at Xmass I was never that hard on it when the 144" 01's where getting stuck (1/2 to 2/3 throttle max and for very short periods) . If I had been riding the sled harder I might have been blowing belts.

Could be you are in the same boat. You may want to do a few runs and check your clutch temps. If you notice one clutch quite a bit hotter than the other after a short run (maybe a half mile or so) from cold cluches than you have excessive belt slip. I think there is a paragraph in this link about how to check for belt slip by checking temps: Clutching IQ - Northern Catalyst Performance Clutching Systems.

Also, I was over reving on pulls. I was reving at 8300-8400 at 6000ft, and 8500 any time I got on it around here (rev limiter kicked in). That's too high. I'm on clicker 1.

If you find your clutch (usually the primary) is getting hot, that will probably be enough to get your dealer to re-gear to 19 tooth top and it it's over reving add clutch weight (I think mine added 12 grams).

With the weight and gears, clutch temp is better, and my revs are 8150 around here (right where they are supposed to be). Haven't been back to the hills yet but I'm sure it will be much better now.

Any more questions, just ask.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys all info is appreciatated will try to crater the original belt this weekend and bring the issues forward to my dealer

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta love warranty.:perfect10: Maybe BRP will replace enough belts that they decide to actually fix the issuses.

08 800 x doo

Reaction score
Hi there 65 miles and another belt is shot i am still running the 166 the dealer didn't have the 377 in stock is any body running the 377 out there and if they are would you let me know if that belt is holding together i have my sled vented with the flow rites the clutchs are not hot at all you can hold your hand on the clutch for 10 to 15 secound after running it for 30 min's in 3 feet of powder wide open
I have the 19 tooth gear in it i also have it clutched but could use a little more weight in the clutch it will rev to 8400 some times on clicker # 1 some body tell me what is wrong with this sled i mean BRP is giving us a new belt but how many belts do you take with you if you go sleding for 4 or 5 days
Should have keep the 05 800 summit it ran wide open all the time with no vents 1600 miles on the frist belt 700 in the secound one cann't beat that
Have a good day

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got 1300km on my last belt (ultimax3) with my 05. some strings started comin out so it'll make a decent spare.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi there 65 miles and another belt is shot i am still running the 166 the dealer didn't have the 377 in stock is any body running the 377 out there and if they are would you let me know if that belt is holding together i have my sled vented with the flow rites the clutchs are not hot at all you can hold your hand on the clutch for 10 to 15 secound after running it for 30 min's in 3 feet of powder wide open
I have the 19 tooth gear in it i also have it clutched but could use a little more weight in the clutch it will rev to 8400 some times on clicker # 1 some body tell me what is wrong with this sled i mean BRP is giving us a new belt but how many belts do you take with you if you go sleding for 4 or 5 days
Should have keep the 05 800 summit it ran wide open all the time with no vents 1600 miles on the frist belt 700 in the secound one cann't beat that
Have a good day

More weight for sure. Maybe check the alignment.
Post here with Factory XYZ specs for XP (w/ some pics)
ski-doo snowmobile forums - DOOTalk.com

I just went to nisku nut and bolt and got an asortment M6x1.0 set screws, I think I got 18 set screws (3 different sizes) for $3.00. If you get the doo ones, that would be about $40 worth.

I would think Dealer should re-weight and check align for you under war though.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RFor the guys running the xp 800 154's you would probably be better off re-gearing to a 20 instead of a 19. Did that for a guy and put a screen kit on, and took all the foam out from inside the engine compartment, including the big peice beside the magside cyl right above the rewind(4 bolts and it comes right out).. And man he's gone to the mtn's several times and he changed one belt cause it had a thread starting to hang out.. And he says that it absolutely rocks.. He says his only real concern is that the driveshaft is going to break now that he's heard of so many breaking.. We also put our own clutching in the primary as well. And put a set of quick clickers on it so that you could adjust your clicker position in like 5sec. (He said quick clickers were the best $70 he ever spent on his sled)

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode my wife's xp in the begining of dec. I made it all the way to the cabin at clamina 15 miles blew the first belt. fresh groomed trail, no more than 1/2 throttle all the way. Now got 250 miles on the machine 7 belts later. Ride for 5min shut off and cool clutches for 30 min. Very frustrating.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey GO-Vertical try Go-Dealer tell them to GO-Fix and to replace all 7 belts if you still have them. This is old info get it fixed now and enjoy your wifes sled

Top Bottom