belts a blowin

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i have the dj clutch kit, floated the secondary, broke the belt in with easy riding for 50km, and its still losing the strings out the side and i only have 250 km max on it.

when i go to change it the belt is ridiculously hot, like burn my fingers hot. and theres a black streak about half way up the primary all the way around.

any ideas? would putting a 47 tooth on the bottom help this out?

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i guess it could be a clutch spring wore out or the weights are not quite right for the gearing... what doo you have for gears right now... what kind of mods have you done

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
aside from the mods mentioned above I have some other things done to the motor but that shouldn't matter I would think. I have the 19 45 setup in the chain case.
Talked to the mechanic at the dealer, got some things I'm goin to try. Apparently with the dj kit your supposed to run the 417300377 belt from brp.
I have the 383 the dealer said replaced the 166. Anybody know the difference between the 377 and the 383?

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the 377 replaced the 166, not the 383. The 383 is softer and not recommended for the Summits.....

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
The 383 replaces the 166. But the 377 and 383 are the same dimentions but the 377 is a harder compound so I recomend the 377 is you ride hard.
But remember the 383/377 is 1mm shorter and 1mm wider than the 166 so some attention is needed when adjusting the belt deflection.
The belt build up on the primary tells me the belt is to tight.
You might have to install some longer adjustment bolts to get the belt to sit properly, with the belt bieng shorter and wider the belt will have to ride lower in the secondary than the 166.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
something with the belt tension is not correct. you may have to add or remvoe shims to get it to be correct. i have the same setup as you and my belt is cold to the touch.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get a vent kit and put prefilter on all of the vent holes left over....blew 3 in 300miles then I covered everything in now i have 600miles on the same belt.

Chrispy76

Reaction score
Have an allignment done? Could be that your motor is not quite in the correct position?

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
something with the belt tension is not correct. you may have to add or remvoe shims to get it to be correct. i have the same setup as you and my belt is cold to the touch.

which shims would you be talking about?

i bought the 377 belt now and put that on, still heatin up as expected, but when i run the sled on a stand the secondary rides firmly against the big washer on the outside of the secondary.

now i just installed the secondary spacer and to my thinking the clutch should, by defintion of the "float kit" ,be floating with some space on each side.

can i just space it over some more with washers the same size as the spacer? or is there longer spacers available?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
which shims would you be talking about?

i bought the 377 belt now and put that on, still heatin up as expected, but when i run the sled on a stand the secondary rides firmly against the big washer on the outside of the secondary.

now i just installed the secondary spacer and to my thinking the clutch should, by defintion of the "float kit" ,be floating with some space on each side.

can i just space it over some more with washers the same size as the spacer? or is there longer spacers available?

Do you have a bunch of shims on the inside of the sheive. You can try it with the bolt with a bunch of small washers to see if you are floating to far or not enough. I have a float kit and mine ends up with 1/8 of space between the sheive and the outside washer. Some say the best way is not to float just shim right. They say take the bolt out and the shims, put on stand, wind it up, bring it to a stop slowly then shim on the back side and bolt it , done. I prefer the float kit idea better IMO, but S Sleds says shimming is the best way! to each his own.

YamaDoo PolCat

Reaction score
The 383 replaces the 166. But the 377 and 383 are the same dimentions but the 377 is a harder compound so I recomend the 377 is you ride hard.
But remember the 383/377 is 1mm shorter and 1mm wider than the 166 so some attention is needed when adjusting the belt deflection.
The belt build up on the primary tells me the belt is to tight.
You might have to install some longer adjustment bolts to get the belt to sit properly, with the belt bieng shorter and wider the belt will have to ride lower in the secondary than the 166.

Just chasing your tail and wasting money on the TRA, it never ends.

Buy any other primary clutch and run any belt you want.

Attachments

• CIMG0010 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0010 (Small).JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 91
Top Bottom