Belt Question

motomike450r

Reaction score
Went for first ride of season today with the new to me 1998 MM 600. This sled has sat for 5 years. We were just riding up a paved road with about 18" of snow, stopped to check how the oil and things were doing since it had been so long since it was ridden. We noticed the belt was much looser than on my 700. After all that lead up, the qusion is: is there something I tighten or do I replace the belt with a new one? Thanks in advance:beer::beer::beer:

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went for first ride of season today with the new to me 1998 MM 600. This sled has sat for 5 years. We were just riding up a paved road with about 18" of snow, stopped to check how the oil and things were doing since it had been so long since it was ridden. We noticed the belt was much looser than on my 700. After all that lead up, the qusion is: is there something I tighten or do I replace the belt with a new one? Thanks in advance:beer::beer::beer:

Not really that familiar with that sled in particular but generally speaking you have to adjust the secondary clutch to adjust belt tension. On older Yamahas you had to remove and take apart the secondary clutch. There are spacers between the clutch sheaves. To tighten the belt you remove some of the spacers which allows the sheaves to be closer together when assembled. This causes the belt to ride higher up in the sheaves which tightens the belt.

The other thing you may have to adjust is the center to center distance of the two clutches. It should be 268.5 mm according to Welcome to Totallyamaha listed under technical pages.

Top Bottom