Belt Problem

dragn

Reaction score
So here is my problem I bought my sled in December and I've blown 6 belts pain in ass. One belt was the original factory belt, other four was a dayco hpx 5019 which is suppose to be the same. The last has a xtx 5019 which is suppose to be dayco's top belt for my sled. So I was wondering is dayco that bad for belts or could something be causing this, maybe a blown bearing or something. Please help my pocket is running empty on buying belts.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What sled? I find the dayco xtx belts don't last on my XP. I can only get about 500 km out of them, and can get over 1000 on the stock belt. I am going to try the gates extreme belt next see how it works.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your motor mounts.Did you know the guy that sold it to you?Seen some guys buy a sled that is bent or has been wrote then fixed for cheap then dumped!Had a buddy buy a sled that would eat belts then we check alignment and everything would check out but still eat belts!Pulled engine and found some chickensh.. welding job on the bulkhead had broke loose causing engine to flex out of alignment under load but drop into place at idle!!Bunch of money later it was fixed properly!!Not sure how some people sleep at night!!

dragn

Reaction score
Check your motor mounts.Did you know the guy that sold it to you?Seen some guys buy a sled that is bent or has been wrote then fixed for cheap then dumped!Had a buddy buy a sled that would eat belts then we check alignment and everything would check out but still eat belts!Pulled engine and found some chickensh.. welding job on the bulkhead had broke loose causing engine to flex out of alignment under load but drop into place at idle!!Bunch ofgmoney later it was fixed properly!!Not sure how some people sleep at night!!

Well I hope that's not the case but it making a weird sound I noticed today from the clutch side of the engine sort sounds like a whistle from a kid missing a front tooth

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your motor is pulling out of alignment or is not aligned to begin with, nothing to do with belts. check to see that the bump stop is touching the back of the motor on the PTO side near the clutch, also check the alignment between the clutches. Also, you might have a drive bearing that is seizing or something that is causing your motor to pull on the belt harder. Are your clutches clean and working fine? What gearing do you have in the sled and how are you riding it? Most belts need to be broken in properly, run them for about 30 mins and then take them off and let them cool down. I have been running the same Dayco belt on my mod sled for 4 seasons, kinda hard to believe its a Dayco belt issue. Most of the issues with Dayco belts and Doo's is because Doo didn't align the motor on the older XP's and they blow belts very quickly, Doo's fix was to make a harder belt compound instead of recalling the sleds. The Dayco belts are a softer compound which is why they don't last as long as the stock Doo ones, the clutches will get hotter with a harder belt though.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I hope that's not the case but it making a weird sound I noticed today from the clutch side of the enjine sort sounds like a whistle from a kid missing a front tooth

Check to make sure there is not a piece of belt or belt cord stuck behind the clutch!

dragn

Reaction score
Your motor is pulling out of alignment or is not aligned to begin with, nothing to do with belts. check to see that the bump stop is touching the back of the motor on the PTO side near the clutch, also check the alignment between the clutches. Also, you might have a drive bearing that is seizing or something that is causing your motor to pull on the belt harder. Are your clutches clean and working fine? What gearing do you have in the sled and how apre you riding it? Most belts need to be broken in properly, run them for about 30 mins and then take them off and let them cool down. I have been running the same Dayco belt on my mod sled for 4 seasons, kinda hard to believe its a Dayco belt issue. Most of the issues with Dayco belts and Doo's is because Doo didn't align the motor on the older XP's and they blow belts very quickly, Doo's fix was to make a harder belt compound instead of recalling the sleds. The Dayco belts are a softer compound which is why they don't last as long as the stock Doo ones, the clutches will get hotter with a harder belt though.

Ok well it seems good with the rubber piece. But the clutch has same nlack suit from the blown belt on it don't no if that will cause problems. I don't get the treating the.belt idea. And I'm what I would call an aggressive driving ill ride the ditches for hours eating and destroying drifts so I do a lot of torgue on the belt

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not think it is an XP if it is a 2002. does not sound like belt issue. Engine is moving under load or is not lined up properly, mounts loose or puck worn out or gone. Other thing to check is bearing on jackshaft behind secondary clutch. If not, start checking aluminium parts under and behind the engine to see if something is cracked or broken.

When was last time maintenance was done on the clutches?
I had a 2002 summit X 800 and had no issues with belts. Sled was a great sled, sometimes wish I still had it.

dragn

Reaction score
I do not think it is an XP if it is a 2002. does not sound like belt issue. Engine is moving under load or is not lined up properly, mounts loose or puck worn out or gone. Other thing to check is bearing on jackshaft behind secondary clutch. If not, start checking aluminium parts under and behind the engine to see if something is cracked or broken.

When was last time maintenance was done on the clutches?
I had a 2002 summit X 800 and had no issues with belts. Sled was a great sled, sometimes wish I still had it.
It's a.2002 summit sport and people say they are good sleds but when the belt blew a while ago I.grabbed both clutches and no play so if a bearing went there should be.play in it

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok well it seems good with the rubber piece. But the clutch has same nlack suit from the blown belt on it don't no if that will cause problems. I don't get the treating the.belt idea. And I'm what I would call an aggressive driving ill ride the ditches for hours eating and destroying drifts so I do a lot of torgue on the belt

Yes you need to clean all the old rubber off the clutches before you put a new belt on (i'm assuming this is what you mean by "black sh!t"). Treating the belt means when you buy a new one on, run it for 30 mins and then take it off, put the spare belt on and run it and leave the other one as your spare. I don't get what you mean by Primary set at "5" and secondary set at "2", there is no setting on the secondary, only in the spring holes on the inside of the clutch which you can't see from the outside, unless you have a different secondary. It sounds like you need a mechanic. A bearing might not be loose, it might seize solid, so you won't feel any play. Something is not right, you should jack up the track and turn the secondary clutch by hand, it should spin the track with very little effort. If it spins OK, then your motor is out of alignment.

dragn

Reaction score
ok thanks and ya well this new belt i will break in properly and see if it last longer. And to clean the clutch will a peice of memory cloth ot a fine wire brush work

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need a clutch inspection/clean to make sure everything is working properly

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok thanks and ya well this new belt i will break in properly and see if it last longer. And to clean the clutch will a peice of memory cloth ot a fine wire brush work

Steel wool is preferable to emery cloth or a fine brush. Most of the time it comes off with a little brake cleaner on a rag just fine. I don't think the belt is going to last longer with a proper break in, I think something else is wrong with motor alignment or your clutches

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like everyone else says.....
I use acitone and purple scrubbing pads you buy ay Greggs, But this only does the faces of the primary and the top of the secondary. I pulled my clutches of and took them apart regularly after lots of rides. There is something wrong, but can not be diagnosed very good by keyboards. You need to check it out as best you can then go see someone that knows. Paying for a mechanic is a lot cheaper than buying belts regularly.
Good luck

dragn

Reaction score
Ok so the clutches didn't line up but another question I just took my sled for a 10 minute ride and when I got back I felt the clutches Tue secondary was cool maybe just a bit warm but no big deal on the other hand the primary was hot to touch. I personally don't no how hot a clutch runs normally but to me it was way to hot

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so the clutches didn't line up but another question I just took my sled for a 10 minute ride and when I got back I felt the clutches Tue secondary was cool maybe just a bit warm but no big deal on the other hand the primary was hot to touch. I personally don't no how hot a clutch runs normally but to me it was way to hot

Yep, it should be warm but not hot. Check the rollers and play in the primary, if the secondary is not shifting back properly, then it will cause the primary to heat up. This might not be a 5 min fix, you should pull and service the clutches as many people have told you already...or just keep buying belts...

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you know you lined them up right, maybe the secondary is offset a little this will cause heat. Cleaning the clutches is your first step. Make sure you do not remove any of the shims from behind the secondary

Top Bottom