Being a Mom and a Sledder

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I figured it was only me... but the more women I meet the more I hear of this pattern. Are there any moms out there who get the nagging mom anxiety when you're out riding? Did you notice that after you became a mom, you approached riding in a different way? Do you look at climbs and jumps with more caution?

I totally get mom anxiety. Especially when I'm riding far from home... A few times I've up and took off back home just to be with the kids... who were of course more than fine.

I met a lady in the store whos little one is around 3 years old.. she explained the same phenomenon.. Situations that she wouldn't have even batted an eye at before being a mom, now create feelings of panic in her. I assured her that this was just a normal part of being a sledding mom.

Any other moms get the same heebie jeebies? :eek:

Last edited:

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh totaly...but in some cases when you are the only one "doing" for everyone in the home or on your own...i have learned that i need the "me time" to recharge and come back home a better mom! bottom line is we will never stop being moms and our kids and there needs will always be put first thats why we need good friends to show up and say we are going to ride lol!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh totaly...but in some cases when you are the only one "doing" for everyone in the home or on your own...i have learned that i need the "me time" to recharge and come back home a better mom! bottom line is we will never stop being moms and our kids and there needs will always be put first thats why we need good friends to show up and say we are going to ride lol!

Pinky, I watched you and your daughter at the Ed sled show... I LOVE how close the 2 of you are.. Pretty awesome!

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pinky, I watched you and your daughter at the Ed sled show... I LOVE how close the 2 of you are.. Pretty awesome!

:eek: thanks she is my life! there are some things in life that I wish we could "un do" lol... but having her is not one of them! kids are truly a gift!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:eek: thanks she is my life! there are some things in life that I wish we could "un do" lol... but having her is not one of them! kids are truly a gift!

I honesty don't know what I'd do without my kids... If I leave this world unexpectedly, I want to be known as a Great mom, Great wife, and Great friend..

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally understand where you are coming from............only in a bit of a different light. We are a quadding family...........and I am a Mom who thought it would be great for us to get my son his own quad instead of doubling. Now watching him at times, it takes my breath away.............hills etc worry the hell outta me!!! He's a good little rider, we've been given compliments on how well he rides, and always with his equipment on. I find him constantly telling me "Mom quit worrying"......................but as mother's I don't think we ever will quit worrying about our kids. My son and I are very close, he's a Mama's boy my husband always says!!! Something I hope never changes :)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally understand where you are coming from............only in a bit of a different light. We are a quadding family...........and I am a Mom who thought it would be great for us to get my son his own quad instead of doubling. Now watching him at times, it takes my breath away.............hills etc worry the hell outta me!!! He's a good little rider, we've been given compliments on how well he rides, and always with his equipment on. I find him constantly telling me "Mom quit worrying"......................but as mother's I don't think we ever will quit worrying about our kids. My son and I are very close, he's a Mama's boy my husband always says!!! Something I hope never changes :)

OH MY GOSH!!!! YA!! That too... holy man.. watching my kids on their machines almost makes me sick to my stomach... I say a little prayer, then look at the joy and sense of accomplishment on their faces and know it's all worth it.. :)

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OH MY GOSH!!!! YA!! That too... holy man.. watching my kids on their machines almost makes me sick to my stomach... I say a little prayer, then look at the joy and sense of accomplishment on their faces and know it's all worth it.. :)

When Kiddo hears people complimenting him on how good of a rider for his age he is..............seeing his face light up, hearing him say thank you................makes it a bit easier to bare as I know we have taught him right :)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
totally... it becomes about them, not us... I really try hard to shed my smother mother tendencies and allow them to be their own person. It's rough sometimes. I was thinking about the little anxiety I get from time to time.. I have the dorkiest little prayer I say each ride that seems to take away my jitters and allows me to enjoy the day when I'm out riding. It stems from me having a horrible ride my second time out last year.. I had too much on my mind, no sleep (the joys of parenting a teenage daughter).. I rode horribly.. every Tree well I was in.. It was frustrating.... Deaner Laughed and said to me, "wow you're riding like a sausage".. So here's my prayer each ride out... "God please help to keep all of us safe today... and please help me not ride like a sausage".. :)

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is cute !!!!!! I've had an incident with a hill that scared the crapola outta me............2 years ago....thumb slipped off the throttle at the top of a steep hill, if I didn't have a couple quick guys grab my bars at the front of the quad to pull her down I am scared to even think what would have happened......ever since I'm leery, but figure if macho kiddo ain't scared, dad say's he'll do fine...........then if he can make it so can I. But it's taking awhile to get my confidence up again. I tend to worry about all now when we go.................wether big or small...........damn motherly instinct !!!! LOL

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is cute !!!!!! I've had an incident with a hill that scared the crapola outta me............2 years ago....thumb slipped off the throttle at the top of a steep hill, if I didn't have a couple quick guys grab my bars at the front of the quad to pull her down I am scared to even think what would have happened......ever since I'm leery, but figure if macho kiddo ain't scared, dad say's he'll do fine...........then if he can make it so can I. But it's taking awhile to get my confidence up again. I tend to worry about all now when we go.................wether big or small...........damn motherly instinct !!!! LOL

Oh man!! That would have been scary.. scarier replaying it in your mind and thinking about the consequences for sure!! I'm hugging you with my mind Power sports sister! Luckily our kids are far better adjusted than we are!

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh man!! That would have been scary.. scarier replaying it in your mind and thinking about the consequences for sure!! I'm hugging you with my mind Power sports sister! Luckily our kids are far better adjusted than we are!

Thanks MOMMA !!! Yes the replaying it is all bad !!! LOL..............kids seem to be fearless at times...............my son when we are out with the groups from here tends to think he's invincible.................till I put him back in his place between dad and I :)...............although when Greg's ahead I don't worry so much as he's always watching out for him !!!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like being at the back of the pack with my kids.. My adult Step daughter (ninja rider on this forum) and I used to take the kids out with their dirt bikes and quads.. She'd ride in front setting the pace.. and I'd be in back picking up the pieces.. lol.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I usually make kiddo ride between Dad and I..............but when we are out with gforce from here (aka Grandpa Greg) kids always on his butt, which I don't mind as Greg really watches out for him :)

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have a little different side to the sledder Mom thing. When my son was about 4 I became a single Mom. I had to figure out what I could do to keep a 4 yr old a well round boy LOL So I took up snow boarding at 30 . Then 10 yrs later my new husband was a snowmobiler and wanted all off us to start riding together. So 40 yrs old I learn to sled (addicted from day 1) My son is now 22 is an amazing rider and I am so proud. At 47 I sometimes hear things from him like "come on Mom you can do it" LMAO Now things are so reversed since when we started snow boarding together. I love being a Mom but I also have a 28 yr old daughter who has given a the most awesome grandson and he loves to sled. Now this is where the heebie jeebies kick in big time. I need to see him grow up! And it has really made me change alot of things I do. So ya sorry it's so long but yes i totally get how you feel.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have a little different side to the sledder Mom thing. When my son was about 4 I became a single Mom. I had to figure out what I could do to keep a 4 yr old a well round boy LOL So I took up snow boarding at 30 . Then 10 yrs later my new husband was a snowmobiler and wanted all off us to start riding together. So 40 yrs old I learn to sled (addicted from day 1) My son is now 22 is an amazing rider and I am so proud. At 47 I sometimes hear things from him like "come on Mom you can do it" LMAO Now things are so reversed since when we started snow boarding together. I love being a Mom but I also have a 28 yr old daughter who has given a the most awesome grandson and he loves to sled. Now this is where the heebie jeebies kick in big time. I need to see him grow up! And it has really made me change alot of things I do. So ya sorry it's so long but yes i totally get how you feel.

Thank you so much for sharing your story!! Oh my gosh.... you are right..... there is no end to the heebie jeebies.... I'm going to be a grandma!! oh man oh man oh man so the heebies will be multiplied by however many children my 4 children have!! oh no!!!! I love that you took up winter sports for your son. You rock!

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wonderful storey !!!! Thanks for sharing !!!! Funny I never thought about things that way..........that one day I'll be worrying over grandkids.........*Yikes*......guess I'm earning every grey hair !!! LOL!!! And it's funny cause at 12 I noticed my son getting vocal with me last summer a bit, come on mom don't be chicken etc. Love it!!!

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alright...not creepin i swear, but saw this title when i was crusin around, so figured id put in my 2 cents......
but i do agree with you MOMMA
when i first started riding, i pretty much was fearless and tried anything
once we started havin kids (have a girl 3.5 and a boy 1.5) and i approach everything in life different now
not to the point where i walk around SCARED of everything, but just think a bit more about the choice im about to make

love my kids to death and even they are happy im back in the sport now
everytime we get in the truck, they see my sled and wanna go for a burn..my little guy cries if he cant sit on it before he gets on the truck!! LOL!
all Sunday it was snowing and my girl was like "see daddy, there IS enough snow to go sleddin now!"....hahha...SO CUTE

anyways....ill get out of the "ladies section"....... ;)

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No need to run out...............us ladies won't gang up on you !!!!!! Awesome story indeed !!!! Thanks for sharing.................nice to know a Dad realizes these things too and it's not just us worry wart mothers !!!

Top Bottom