Bearing behind top belt drive sprocket

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will have too check mine out. I heard a loose washer rattle the other weekend. I only noticed it going slow on the trail in the tree's every time I hit a mogul. The trail was whooped out bad.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having this issue?I started hearing the jingling noise on my 155 Pro about 50 miles ago,when I drag the brake the noise goes away.No noticeable movement in the upper pulley but the belt seems a little looser.No issues with the sled in 600 miles.Going to take it apart to inspect more closely.

Last edited:

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed a jingle in mine too, but it is only the brake pads rattling around.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed a jingle in mine too, but it is only the brake pads rattling around.
So went out and checked more closely.Put a small bar through brake disc and pried up on it,it moved enough to take the slack out of the belt.I could not move it by hand.Put a torque wrench on it and got a full turn on the top bolt to get 30lbs torque.Belt is tight now,hope the jingle noise is gone.Bottom bolt was tight,I would suggest checking these as could lead to the bearing failing.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One way to notice the bearing is on the way out is to roll down a hill with the engine off. If you hear a weird metal sound slam the brakes to see if it goes away then let them go again to see if it returns. The bearing will make noise for quite a while before it gets to the point where you can feel play in the upper sprocket. Once there is play in the jackshaft then you can surely count on your jackshaft being wrecked. If you hear the jingle sound (almost sounds like loose washers rattling together) I would replace that 7 dollar bearing ASAP.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is exactly the sound I heard which made me wonder(the loose washer rattle). I would not run either before it's checked, not only a QD belt might go but misalignment might ruin clutch belts.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is exactly the sound I heard which made me wonder(the loose washer rattle). I would not run either before it's checked, not only a QD belt might go but misalignment might ruin clutch belts.

That's right you should get a new jackshaft, qd belt, and clutch belt out of the whole deal.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It would take a lot of movement wt the QD end to make a small movement at the secondary end as the pivot point would be close to the secondary and far from the QD end.

Techhead

Reaction score
I can't believe you want to stick your head in the sand, there are plenty of these reoported failures and you believe it is a one off ungreased bearing. The below photo's are excellent.

No, the pulley will push against the brake rotor which will in turn push on the inner race only and if it is tight there is no way it can spin on the shaft. The outer race is held in place by the snap ring. It is amazing to me that with all the camera's that are on these phones no one has a photo of the actual failure. The video is great but please show us after it is apart as well so we can see if it spun on the shaft, seized and spun in the back plate or just failed the bearing. It would be really helpful. If the bearing is gone at 900 miles it is very poor quality or had no grease in it from the bearing supplier would be my first guess.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dealer said failed bearing and was the first of 300 pros sold over the last 3 years to have this bearing fail.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm last ride i heard the washer rattle sound as well, wondered what the ef it was. Good info in this thread. Ill have to get er replaced

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe you want to stick your head in the sand, there are plenty of these reoported failures and you believe it is a one off ungreased bearing. The below photo's are excellent.

My head is not in the sand, and in fact after the photos were posted it confirmed that the ONLY way that failure could have happened is if the bolt was not tight enough as was confirmed by others posting that they found the top bolt not up to spec, AND after checking mine thanks to this thread I can say that mine was at about 10ft/lbs instead of 30 so if I would not have checked it I could have had the same failure. No, the pulley will push against the brake rotor which will in turn push on the inner race only and if it is tight there is no way it can spin on the shaft. Which was in reference to the post about the shaft being soft, I was not disputing that the bearing failed only WHY it failed and since the guy was nice enough to post photos we figured it out. This forum is supposed to be useful and I for one am sick of guys 1st post being "My sisters boyfriends second cousin blew up his sled what a pos." most likely posted by some 12 year old that has never been on a sled. DO YOU OWN A PRO Techhead? If so go check the torque on your top bolt instead of waiting for it to fail and if you don't well enough said.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So first ride on the Pro after finding the top bolt on the Q/D loose.Put 75 hard miles on,no more jingle noise and less vibration in the sled.Big thanks to this thread as I wouldn't have thought to check the bolts as the pulley couldn't be moved by hand.

Reactions: cs5

vying_vim

Reaction score
Started to hear a rattle in mine this weekend.
Going to look into it more tomorrow.
I had an older sled that had a similar noise but it was the brake disc being a little sloppy so I assumed the same.
I love this sled but come on Polaris, less than 500 miles and two recalls.
Another voucher for oil in the mail?
2013 pro 155

rrjames

Reaction score
Another one here with the same rattle that goes away by dragging the brakes. Checked the pulley bolt tonight, it was torqued to spec.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dealer said failed bearing and was the first of 300 pros sold over the last 3 years to have this bearing fail.

Turns out there are a few more with this problem. If you haven't confirmed that the pulley bolts are torqued properly do it ASAP and if you have a rattling sound I would replace the bearing before it wrecks the jackshaft. Not sure how available new jackshafts are right now but it's cheap insurance to keep you on the snow. After 300 miles of that rattling sound it starts to sound like the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing sound that a broken diamond drive makes. When that happens you can be certain your jackshaft is done. I'm not sure if dealers will replace that bearing under warranty but they should after reading this thread!

Top Bottom