beacons

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that the SOS one's are really common.. And you can get a package deal with peep, probe, shovel, and backpack from us for around 500.00 i think Not 100% sure on price but i'll double check on that for yah tomorrow..

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did a group buy. Pieps DSP, it has a compass,altimiter and temp. Not that I pull it out and use these options very much but its there if you ever need them and one less thing to carry "compass". We did a ava course last year and got to compare. I was happy with the PIEPS, easy to use. They all are like Chev,ford and Dodge they all have good and bad.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the SOS sled bug, Easy to use, lots of range, simple unit that lets you make the decisions. Also have a BCA tracker, works good, easy to use, they claim it is the fastest to use. In my opinion, running over the snow is highly overrated, Try it, sucks, you have time to check your unit and reset. Don't let manufactures BS fool you. A lot of the Digital units have their own problems, usually trying to decide what to do.
Get a beacon that you can understand, easy to use and I dare say PRACTICE using it. In my opinion all the beacons work, use the same frequency and will work together. OH! and take a Avalanche class, the best beacon will not save you, your riding group has to do that.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a beacon that you can understand, easy to use and I dare say PRACTICE using it. In my opinion all the beacons work, use the same frequency and will work together. OH! and take a Avalanche class, the best beacon will not save you, your riding group has to do that.

Really the best place to find out what beacon to buy for you! Is a Avalanche class as all the types are there for you to try. Two birds with one stone

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the best things that all people should do is to do a practice run with there beacons at least once a year.. At the beginning of the year and part way thru is my preference.. the way we do it is unknowingly to the rest of the people in the group someone hides their beacon and then tells people to go find it so that it helps in the fact that you aren't ready for it just like in a real situation.. Tahts just my thoughts and practices..

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitly the more you practice the easier it gets. Also when one of your riding buddies gets buried beacon operation becomes second nature, and not try to learn as your buddy is dying. As stated challenge your riding buddies and find a hidden beacon. looser buys.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitly the more you practice the easier it gets. Also when one of your riding buddies gets buried beacon operation becomes second nature, and not try to learn as your buddy is dying. As stated challenge your riding buddies and find a hidden beacon. looser buys.

Hey the loser buys thing i didn't think of... Good idea.. But as he stated you can never practice to much when you think about the fact it could be your's or your buddies life at risk...

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey the loser buys thing i didn't think of... Good idea.. But as he stated you can never practice to much when you think about the fact it could be your's or your buddies life at risk...
And your buddies are practising too. (that's the important part when you are the one buried).

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as the summiteer states if your buddies haven't gotten beyond the turn it on stage, and fiqure they will learn how to operate as they go. you will die if buried, you have +- 15 mins to live, If this is the case get an air bag , eh! get one anyway they have a 98% survival rate, a beacon will only allow someone to find you dead or alive. Me i'd prefer alive.

Practice, get your buddies to practice, make it a game with rewards for finding a buried beacon, also you can check for beacons left on at hotels etc. SOS beacons work great with the extra range, bca not so good, give it a try.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What can I say; Practise, Practise, Practise. And if you have not taken the Avalanche Course do it!!!. The best practise in using your beacon is up on the side of the mountain with two feet of fresh snow, cold temps and a biting wind. It doesn't get any better than that!!!

Billy Boy:cool:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
The take an avy course comment is a good one, lots of different beacons to try out and everyone has an opinion on why they do or don`t like the ones they are using. The SOS are very popular. I`ve been lucky enough to get to take courses for the last 3 yrs. Different teachers all have something more to share. A few yrs. ago we came across a slide with tracks around it, we all did a search and luckily didn`t find anyone. We have practiced a few times but need to spend more time at it this yr. One thing that always sticks in my mind is the bad feeling thing. If it ever happens to you let everyone know even if they give you the yah yah yah. I have seen it happen. :eek:
The 98% survival rate with the air bags is if you are able to pull the cord my friend.
The CAA used 2 of my pics. in the new avy training book this yr.
Kudos to the AB. gov. for funding avy courses for snowmobilers last season and to Lori, Randy and Amber for spending their winters training. Yamaha also supports the CAA in a big way.

Avy course Amber Jan. 08 Frisby 015.jpg

Avy course Amber Jan. 08 Frisby 026.jpg

Avy course Amber Jan. 08 Frisby 028.jpg .

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
No our guinea pig, watched the weak layers compress, slide and break in the snow with the weight of the sled and rider. When you see how far down it breaks and imagine that amount of snow moving it it crazy. When he cat walked that`s when it all happened.
One fat guy and 2 skinny guys equals the weight of a sled and rider in the 1st pics. ;)

Rider38

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone and YES I think myself and a couple buds will be taking that course thanks again

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Atta Guy, here is the link to zacstracs. Looks like they are running programs through clubs this yr. for the gov. Are they TylerG?
Design a new logo for them and pay for your course.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah, you are right, you need to open the bag if it is going to work. if you can't open the bag you may not make it. I still like the odds with the bag though. Seems to be the best way to save a life at this time. They claim that people who get hurt are being hit with debris and the old sudden stop at the end. I'm sure there are other problems also.
Education may be the answer, as knowing the odds on avalanche slides can keep you safe. Although every ride in a slide zone has the potential to produce a slide.
Beacons, probes, shovels, avy bags, avy classes, practice-practice-practiceare your best options if you intend to sled in the steep and deep.

Top Bottom