beacons

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is a new digital beacon that much better than a sos sb beacon and can you explain why.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you practice with and know inside and out how to use your SOS beacon, it is just as good as the digital ones. The digital ones are (or seem to be) more idiot proof, which could be good when the adrenaline is pumping. Last avalanche course I took the SOS beacons had better range than all the digitals. That being said, I bought a new barryvox pulse last year. Older beacons should be sent in for testing and/or reconditioning.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old SOS does have awesome range, they do not handle multiple burials without lot's of practice though.

Mr. Highmark

Reaction score
If you practice with and know inside and out how to use your SOS beacon, it is just as good as the digital ones. The digital ones are (or seem to be) more idiot proof, which could be good when the adrenaline is pumping. Last avalanche course I took the SOS beacons had better range than all the digitals. That being said, I bought a new barryvox pulse last year. Older beacons should be sent in for testing and/or reconditioning.

Agreed. When in a panic situation its best to know the beacon is going to do most of the work for you. Better for multi burials however, most people that have used analog beacons all along have usually better to stick with what they know. Personally went with Ortovox- super simple and very easy to use.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought that the digitial beacons were more reliable (less interference), more accurate (directional display) and definitely easier to use. Look at the new BCA. It gives you an idea of how deep the person is. You can't get that kind of information from a non-digital beacon. In a panic situation you definitely have to think more with the older SOS. If I'm frantically trying to find someone, the last thing I want to do is think about how many steps depending on where the dial is set. I'm sure with a lot of practicing it would be easier but be realistic and determine how much practicing you'll actually do. I'm going to use my SOS for practicing.

Top Bottom