Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to rent 5 beacons probes and shovels go to mcbride on 28,29,30,31
where agood place to rent without breaking the bank

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
University.

Before I purchased mine I rented some from the UofC a few times.

They are analog units which don't lend well to beginners, but are better then nothing! It can all be taught over a beer or two and chasing around beacons at night.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cycle works (I know the Edmonton one does, I don't know about west).

or

MEC (mountain equipment co-op)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I need to rent 5 beacons probes and shovels go to mcbride on 28,29,30,31
where agood place to rent without breaking the bank

Graham, call ahead to Spindrift in McBride, or call Cycle Works West, and see if Joe can rent you some

terrace_rmk

Reaction score
somebody said something about u of c .. if you are coming from calgary go to mountain equipment co - op ( Outdoor Gear - Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) - quipement d'activits de grande nature ) its a out door shop ..you need a 5 dollar meber ship but its life time and all there gear has a liftime warrenty that is easy to abuse .. if you decide to buy beccons i suggest you splurge and buy a digital one .. barrivox pulse is supper easy to use and you dont need to practice all the time with it like with analoge becons .. if your out there in the back country i suggest you and your buddies taking a ast level one avalanche course .. they are usaly 150 - 200 bucks ... cheap if it saves your life ... check out Welcome to avalanche.ca for deatails ...they offer sledder spacific avalanche courses taught buy real sledders .. any ways hopes this info helps .

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
somebody said something about u of c .. if you are coming from calgary go to mountain equipment co - op ( Outdoor Gear - Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) - quipement d'activits de grande nature ) its a out door shop ..you need a 5 dollar meber ship but its life time and all there gear has a liftime warrenty that is easy to abuse .. if you decide to buy beccons i suggest you splurge and buy a digital one .. barrivox pulse is supper easy to use and you dont need to practice all the time with it like with analoge becons .. if your out there in the back country i suggest you and your buddies taking a ast level one avalanche course .. they are usaly 150 - 200 bucks ... cheap if it saves your life ... check out Welcome to avalanche.ca for deatails ...they offer sledder spacific avalanche courses taught buy real sledders .. any ways hopes this info helps .

I used to go to MEC but with their big environmental campaign against motorheads I decided to take my hard earned dollars across the street to Coast Mountain Sports or anywhere else that isn't so blatantly against outdoor motorized recreation.

I guess when I couldn't buy bear spray (a few years back) because it was deemed detrimental to the poor bears I decided that all there equipment could be found elsewhere and at pretty much the same price.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to go to MEC but with their big environmental campaign against motorheads I decided to take my hard earned dollars across the street to Coast Mountain Sports or anywhere else that isn't so blatantly against outdoor motorized recreation.

I guess when I couldn't buy bear spray (a few years back) because it was deemed detrimental to the poor bears I decided that all there equipment could be found elsewhere and at pretty much the same price.

I agree

I used to support MEC a lot, but now that they are against pretty much everything I do (except hiking and moutain biking), I try to refrain from purchasing anything from them.

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The money that people pay for these Mountain Equipment Coop memberships goes towards fighting to close the areas that we ride in.

I havent bought anything from there since I found this out. There is nothing there you cant buy or rent somewhere else.

Im sure one of the sites supporting vendors could rent you the Avy gear needed.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been mentioned, but find yourself a digital beacon. If you need it in an emergancy, it might s well be as easy to use as possible. Analog beacons are a pain in the rear, in my opinion.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with either an analog or digital you cannot practice enough, and trying to get a beacon to work on the slopes is to late. buy what you can afford and practice,practice,practice, and practice some more.
in my opinion the analog works just as well as any digital, without all the gadgets that may confuse someone learning. yes digital beacons are nice and will work well, just don't let someone tell you they work that much better.

doostylz

Reaction score
If your looking for beacons shovels and probes. Make sure and get decent equipment (no wally world plastic folding shovel). Not saying you may not have this stuff just helping out if I can. Before I owned I rented all 3 pieces for $20 a weekend from a local club. Cheap deal for decent stuff. As I said just helping out. And have a great ride once you get there.

Top Bottom