Beacon Recommendation

maxpower

Reaction score
Going to the mountains soon so I want to buy a beacon, wondering what most guys are using? and any reviews/recommendations

Born2Ride

Reaction score
Analogs are good but take alot more practice - the new digitals seem to be the way most people are going

Everyone will have their preference,

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I was in an avalanche in march 2009 and you could not sell me any other product than a peeps dsp. There are lots of units our there and they are all better than having none. They all have different features. The feature that I personally look for is 3 or more antennas. Also take an ast1 course, having a beacon is good but if you dont properlly know to use it it's not even as good as the empty water bottle in your backpack

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Peeps works very well in multiple buryals. And the range is second to none, I know from experience and results from the results when I took the ast1

Rest in peace Albert. We were thinking about you in Blue this weekend.

goodleo

Reaction score
PEEPS all the way!! Take an avalanche course and they will show you the differences and how to use them!!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pieps DSP for sure!! When we took our AST 1 course last winter we got to use a variety of beacons in the field. The easiest to use for single and multiple burials was the Pieps hands down. Take the course first so that you are proficient in using a beacon and then get the Pieps. I also like the fact that the firmware is upgradable. :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I have an orthovox, never been in an avalanche but I like how easy it is to use, can lock out multiples and it restarts if a second avy comes down.
Bought it at Martin Equipment and they continue to update the programming for free.

ONECOL.jpg

Ortovox S1 Avalanche Scanner/Transceiver
This sensor-controlled, triple-antenna digital beacon features an advanced display and automatic signal separation for locating up to four buried victims without sorting out confusing signal interference.

* Auto Scan function starts scanning as soon as you open the flip-up S1 so you can quickly make the best decisions with the best possible information
* Navigator uses a bearing line, direction arrow, and distance value to guide you to first victim
* Pin Spot fine search mode helps you find the right spot to probe with a clear circle and arrow display as well as the distance down to a tenth of a meter
* Once you pinpoint one signal, mark it with the glove-friendly flag button and move onto the next victim without other signals clouding your search
* Also features vital backcountry tools including an inclinometer, compass, and thermometer
* Neoprene bag with elastic keeper strap secures the S1 to your body with a comfortable strap system
* Fully updateable microprocessor lets the S1 remain cutting-edge for years

Bottom Line: A highly advanced, user-friendly beacon for guides or any backcountry travelers that need to locate multiple victims as fast as possible.

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the Pieps as I haven't tried it.
But I have an Ortovox S1 and have found it to be real user friendly and extremely quick at picking up signals, even multiples.
I guess the best one would be the one you are most adept at using.
Can you really put a price on someones life.Spend the money go digital!

Take an Avy course. Knowledge is a wonderful tool!

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently use a BCA Tracker. It is easy to use and quite painless. I have two complaints,
Finding multiple burials is harder than it could be
The screen is hard to read in bright light (spring)

I have since ordered a Pieps DSP and I suspect it will sort out these issues. I have yet to use it however, so I cannot comment on it quite yet.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
peeps works very well in multiple buryals. And the range is second to none, i know from experience and results from the results when i took the ast1

rest in peace albert. We were thinking about you in blue this weekend.

dido.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I decided on the Barryvox Pulse. Great for multiple burials and with other Pulse beacons in the group there is a read-out of vital signs.

All of the top beacons are pretty much user friendly, have good range, and are re-programable.

Good luck on your research. I think Modman put a link to a chart comparing many of the beacons on the market. Doo a search!

Top Bottom