be careful with SPOT

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I put my SPOT in my pocket on my last ride. It wasn't turned on, just in my pocket for emergency use.

When I got home, I put the unit on the shelf with my other electronic gadgets and lo' and behold, the green light is flashing; it had been turned on!!

I start thinking....if that ON/OFF button was turned on, then it could also follow that the HELP, or 911 button could have also have been turned on. Chances are remote but I'm thinking there is a chance. Wouldn't that be a mess?

I will start carrying SPOT in an open place from now on whether it be a Ram mount or a case attached to the outside of my jacket.

Thought I'd better share that senario....:beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it only takes one little tap on the "ON" button to turn the SPOT on, and the "ON" and "OK" buttons are not recessed like the "HELP" and "911" buttons. The latter 2 buttons have to be depressed for 5 seconds to activate those messages, I think the "OK" button requires a 5 second push as well. maybe a guy could put a piece of tape over them or something to prevent them from being depressed inside the pocket.

spike7ss

Reaction score
I got the spot protective case for mine from SPOTs website. And ride wiht mine on the outside pocket for waterbottles on my pack. Havent had any issues like that.

To send any of the other messages, you have to push and hold the buttons

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
We were talking to SPOT and testing out a unit a couple of weeks ago. The unit should not be placed in a jacket or backpack pocket (unless it's mesh). The satellite signals can get messed up if they are obstructed, and can possibly give the incorrect GPS readings.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were talking to SPOT and testing out a unit a couple of weeks ago. The unit should not be placed in a jacket or backpack pocket (unless it's mesh). The satellite signals can get messed up if they are obstructed, and can possibly give the incorrect GPS readings.
if in tracking mode, yes, but to say SPOT said it should NOT be in a backpack or jacket pocket is misleading.....it would be the same as keeping your beacon on your sled. won't do much good under the snow in a burial event. my primary reason for carrying the SPOT is for the wife's peace of mind, because of the "OK" feature. played with the tracking feature a bit, hope to never have to use any other functions.

for anything other than sledding in the mountains, mount it wherever you want, as long as the label faces up. I keep mine in my bar riser bag, but everyone I ride with now has a SPOT so if mine's buried, the boys have theirs to punch the button....of course, unless we're ALL buried....then we're prolly fawked anyways....:(

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've kept mine in my outside pocket on my HMK riding pants and have not had an issue.... have stopped pressed the check in but .... put back in my pant pocket and the wifey got every message every time....

But in the back pack or inside jacket I could see the diff.... Thanks for the info and starting this thread.... Its a new toy and every little bit of info helps...

Top Bottom