Bca bc link radio

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ray, were you on a higher channel. I believe when your on a lower channel you have higher range. We were in Valemount last year with a few lost riders and we had no issue communicating for a few km with the bca radios.

We tried 20-4

This was at Rig Street this summer

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bel, you'll love them! The only tip I suggest is that on the handheld mike you have about 5 or 6 different preset channel options (e.g. A, B, C, etc.). Sometimes we found we would accidentally bump the channel selector (round switch) on the handheld mike with our chin or helmet and end up on a different channel. To solve this we put our preferred channel (e.g. 2.2 or whatever) for our group on the very first or last setting and the next one or two presets on the adjacent channels. The preset channel round button on the mike rotates to select the preset so by having our preferred preset on the end channels and one adjacent it minimized the chance of it getting bumped to a completely different channel. We like having the mike with volume turned way up close to chin/helmet so you can hear somebody talking while riding, then just stop to get clarity as noted previously in other replies. Good luck and ride safe!

• Thanks
Reactions: BEL

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Here is some info from a backcountry ski website,
Guess this means that Im better off going to a pick a channel from 2-7 or 15-22 (Link transmits at one watt on those channels, 1/2 watt on the other ones)

Note: There are no FRS/GMRS channels “officially” designated for various uses, but convention designates channel 1 for general (anonymous) public chat, and channel 20 (with quiet code 22) for emergencies. That said, in most areas the FRS/GMRS channels are NOT monitored in any way that would help you call for help. In reality, channel 1 tends to be overused due to it being the easiest channel to get to on a new radio (especially for children, as you may notice at home on Christmas morning), as well as being easy to remember. Thus, when setting your radio we recommend not using channel 1. But perhaps keep channel 20-code-22 as a setting and don’t use it for day-to-day comm.
Likewise, bear in mind that the FCC requires these types of walkie talkies to lowest power on channels 8 through 14. Thus, when picking channels for general backcountry use it’s advisable to pick a channel from 2-7 or 15-22 (Link transmits at one watt on those channels, 1/2 watt on the other ones). Furthermore, the antenna on this type of radio can be assumed to be tuned to the midrange of frequencies (channels), with performance falling off at either end of the channels. Thus, for a bit of extra umph in your distance range I’d recommend using channels 6,7,15,16,17.
Conversely, if you want to conserve battery and know you’ll always be close to your compadres, try using the Link’s lower power (1/2 watt) channels 8-14. These will perform better than you might think. The Link radio doesn’t have a low/high power setting, so using these channels will significantly extend your battery life if you’re doing much talking. In other words, picking the correct channel is a way of forcing the radio to lower power. That said, keeping things simple is important in group radio use. Here at Wildsnow, we tend to just set our radios to the highest power and be done with it.
IMPORTANT: To get best performance from any 2-way radio, all users must have their antennas oriented in the same position. Convention for this is to orient your antenna vertically. Since the Link base unit is presumably buried in your backpack, it may end up in a random position (BCA packs have a radio mount, somewhat vertical depending on your pack rides). I’d recommend all party members figure out a way to carry/mount their radios to the antenna stays somewhat vertical. By the same token, the higher the radio is above the ground the better it will perform. If you’re in a tent, for example, hold the radio up as high as you can, with antenna vertical, if you have any reception or transmit problems. A corded handmic is wonderful for situations with poor range, as you can do things like holding the antenna above your head or outside a window.

GRD

Reaction score
i allmost went in on the group buy but ended up opting out, cause i have learned over the years that usually new products need a year or 2 to sort out bugs. i now see that the initial product is good and i want a couple. i wonder if there is enough interest here to do a group buy again??

I would be in on a group buy for 2.

Reaction score
Works great. Saves on riding time when partners get separated. Definitely can here that someone is trying to transmit. Battery life is good and range is good enough for what we use them for.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is some info from a backcountry ski website,
Guess this means that Im better off going to a pick a channel from 2-7 or 15-22 (Link transmits at one watt on those channels, 1/2 watt on the other ones)

Thanks Ron,
Can we all agree that Channel 20 is to be used if you are lost or other emergency? Sounds like there has been 3 instances already of people being lost with one bad outcome

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, can the Rino communicate with the BCA? I believe it should as the channels are the same(gmrs and frs, uhf). Just making sure here...

I also pack a vhf handheld with all the Ladds etc for the fsr's and listening to truckers while travelling for info on traffic and conditions. I have turned it on up top and heard truckers on the highway before too. Anyone else run a vhf up there? (Baofeng is vhf and uhf?)

I personally dont like a corded speaker mic. I use Kenwood handhelds at work every day and find the cord to be a PITA, hooking on branches etc. I looked at buddys BCA's but was not something I would buy. There are much stronger and better quality hand helds available, but more $ of course.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe they will if my memory serves me well. Neighbour has a Rhino and we bought the BCA's. We checked and on paper they would but neighbour went and bought BCA's as well so we never tried between the two.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ran cord also through hydration tube and no problems,as for distance to hand helds we've tried different brands and the distance and clariety from hand helds, the bca link radio is no comparison, the bca link radio gets way better distance and is very clear,can hear while riding and with mic on backpack strap very handy to use,we find we hear and use these more than when we had hand helds in our pocket. would recomend these.to anybody looking to be able to communicate while riding either in winter or quading in summer

Top Bottom