BC up's fines on recreational vehicles

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dgiles is from Coquitlam BC (Lower mainland) so he has the option.
Yep, per ICBC, "sticker is to be removed prior to selling" and they also say "it will be difficult to remove". Yes, I have had to remove a sticker from my last sled and it sucked. Not going to do it again. So, I have a plate with me in my sled. Not going to mount it as it isn't visible anyway to anyone from 10' away. I have never been checked in 25 years, so have no problem rolling that dice. If I didn't buy new, I would have a tough time even registering it, just for the privilege of to paying the tax.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Any time I was stopped last year (3 times), the CO didn't care where the plate was as long as the sled was registered and I had proof of insurance.

In my limited experience with plates, I found that the only place that is safe and secure is on the side of the tunnel. Mounted to the tail flap is asking for a lost plate as the vibration just tears the plate material. Nearly lost both of our plates last year. I carry mine in a tunnel bag now.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any time I was stopped last year (3 times), the CO didn't care where the plate was as long as the sled was registered and I had proof of insurance.

In my limited experience with plates, I found that the only place that is safe and secure is on the side of the tunnel. Mounted to the tail flap is asking for a lost plate as the vibration just tears the plate material. Nearly lost both of our plates last year. I carry mine in a tunnel bag now.
Insurance is optional, not mandatory. You do not need to show proof.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a 16 Cat, you could just mount it to the belt tunnel bag. That is where I riveted mine, out of the way and safe.
Its just a bag and not a tunnel so no big deal.

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI Our riding group had stickers made from our plates and put the on the left rear side of the tunnel 4x7. We also keep our plate in the tunnel bag if the CO's want to be dicks. No drilling on my sled. We also have been stopped a few times and the CO's said the plate must be mounted on the machine, so this is our solution. P.S They also gave us a hard time about photo ID. So I just photocopied mine and put it with my insurance. This is all a cash cow. I do like the sticker thing a lot better for all off road vehicles, if our government had a brain they would see how much cheaper it is ten a metal plate. Cheers

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very practical approach FS. That is how I have approached it for years but Lund and Eagle have some good ideas. Above all else, when I am out I want to have a good day and do not want to get into a debate with some cop arguing that while I was legal, I wasn't legal enough so here is your ticket.

Last edited:
Top Bottom