BC Offroad plates and insurance offices

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a guy that got nicked on blaeberry fsr $53 for no rego on his sled by the CO. the young guy ...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new system is not in effect. The old system is still in effect; the one with the yellow decal that we were supposed to put on the tunnel. That has been required for years and years and maybe if my memory serves me correct, since 1982.

1971 I believe. I know I had a registration decal on a 1969 Moto-ski that was dead long before 1982.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new system is not in effect. The old system is still in effect; the one with the yellow decal that we were supposed to put on the tunnel. That has been required for years and years and maybe if my memory serves me correct, since 1982.

1971 I believe. I know I had a registration decal on a 1969 Moto-ski that was dead long before 1982.

I registered my first sled in BC in 1978, it was a white with red or orange lettering decal at the time and not yellow with black lettering as is today.
When i lived in Quebec we had to insure the sled's to get off private property on to public trails and that was mid. 1970s.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a guy that got nicked on blaeberry fsr $53 for no rego on his sled by the CO. the young guy ...

I have personally witness this on atleast half a dozen times over the last few years.
Road blocks are one place they check, i have been checked twice at road blocks, they do a quick vehicle walk around and regi check on the sleds.
A buddy of mine got nailed in a sledding parking area once for both his sleds in the morning. over $100 ticket for both sleds and a 48hr proof of registration had to be submitted to the RCMP office in town. He was told to come with the sleds to the RCMP office to submit the paperwork.
I have also seen them in the hill's on sled's checking sledders at cabins and randomly through out the day. Mostly in popular areas, last time i've seen them was in Sicamous, Owls Head and Valemount, Allen creek. But have heard of them being on Boulder in Revy and Hunters Range out of Enderby.
These guys are fairly easy to spot as they look like twins in their outfit and can't ride worth anything.

Register your sled, carry a copy of it in a dry place on the sled and your golden, nothing to worry about. If you use it on FSR or do road crossing then my guess is you need to carry a basic insurance also.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha Ive seen those guys at Boulder. I didn't have registration, but Im pretty good at BSing with people and they never even asked.
I was trying to get them to come for a tree ride,,, haha could have been pretty funny lol

As I get older I get a lil more responsible. So next year I'd like to register my sled, but Im not sure what I should do. I live in BC and Alberta, but I only ride in BC,, BUT I'd like to avoid BC sales tax?:confused:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Haha Ive seen those guys at Boulder. I didn't have registration, but Im pretty good at BSing with people and they never even asked.
I was trying to get them to come for a tree ride,,, haha could have been pretty funny lol

As I get older I get a lil more responsible. So next year I'd like to register my sled, but Im not sure what I should do. I live in BC and Alberta, but I only ride in BC,, BUT I'd like to avoid BC sales tax?:confused:

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/Lildukesledin/DSCF2333_zps0wzvmhyt.jpg

Easy-peasy Dan. Register it in Alberta. You do have an Alberta driver's license right?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Is it the same for crown land then?

Private or Crown land doesn't matter. The key point is on a Forest Service Road and/or maybe an exploration road (which is different than an FSR). The road under a power line normally belongs to BC Hydro, and they require registration and insurance. Lots of advertisements in local newspapers explaining same.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep you bet Alberta drivers LIC. Cool thanks thats what I'll do:beer:

I was going to say the same thing, pay the $50 a year here in Alberta, and keep your plate and paperwork with you. Registration is registration no matter which province you reside in.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing, pay the $50 a year here in Alberta, and keep your plate and paperwork with you. Registration is registration no matter which province you reside in.

Yea I think as long as you have some thing, you should be good to go.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Private or Crown land doesn't matter. The key point is on a Forest Service Road and/or maybe an exploration road (which is different than an FSR). The road under a power line normally belongs to BC Hydro, and they require registration and insurance. Lots of advertisements in local newspapers explaining same.
Technically BC no longer has FSR or Forest Service Roads, all the former FSR roads are now Resource Roads. Just an FYI.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It takes just over and hour to register one and get your plates, heck I even register an atc which has been illegal to sell in Canada since 1989. It cost me over 1000 dollars by the time I was done with 5 unites and on heck of a pill of time and headaches. It is a nightmare to say the least, even had to go to a lawyer.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what a pucken joke . still think it is nothing than a money grab imo
It takes just over and hour to register one and get your plates, heck I even register an atc which has been illegal to sell in Canada since 1989. It cost me over 1000 dollars by the time I was done with 5 unites and on heck of a pill of time and headaches. It is a nightmare to say the least, even had to go to a lawyer.

Top Bottom