BC Offroad plates and insurance offices

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I have a suggestion for BCSF and the other organizations: talk to ICBC about have posters or pamphlets at offices. Nobody seems to know all the facts. Icbc is useless as **** in informing their representives apparently and be able to pass the info around and stop the incorrect bs that is spreading about it.

Posted while sitting at an insurance office listening to the confusion.... I can't imagine how bad the arguments will be closer to June 1st. (And yes, I am sure some offices are great but I can say, looking at this shat show in front of me, not all are.)

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i will be dealing with it in the late fall for my two sleds. hope it is cleared up by then

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So, I have a suggestion for BCSF and the other organizations: talk to ICBC about have posters or pamphlets at offices. Nobody seems to know all the facts. Icbc is useless as **** in informing their representives apparently and be able to pass the info around and stop the incorrect bs that is spreading about it.

Posted while sitting at an insurance office listening to the confusion.... I can't imagine how bad the arguments will be closer to June 1st. (And yes, I am sure some offices are great but I can say, looking at this shat show in front of me, not all are.)

That would make it too simple. BC doesn't work on simple on anything they do whether it be teachers, nurses, highways, dock workers, forestry, mines, caribou, and any other myriad of items that the government deals with. And don't get me started on the fiasco that this going to bring.

A guy told me yesterday, that the ICBC agent told him the only reason he needed a plate on his sled was if he was crossing roads/highways. If he didn't cross a road/highway, he didn't need the plate just the registration paper work. Go figure......

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
things are sure mixed up with this crap
That would make it too simple. BC doesn't work on simple on anything they do whether it be teachers, nurses, highways, dock workers, forestry, mines, caribou, and any other myriad of items that the government deals with. And don't get me started on the fiasco that this going to bring.

A guy told me yesterday, that the ICBC agent told him the only reason he needed a plate on his sled was if he was crossing roads/highways. If he didn't cross a road/highway, he didn't need the plate just the registration paper work. Go figure......

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think that if they have to be registered that means if purchased outside of BC then I will have to pay the piper the tax

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I would think that if they have to be registered that means if purchased outside of BC then I will have to pay the piper the tax

If you would have ridden that thing this winter and put some miles on it, the market value would be lower and therefore you would be charged less tax. My 2014 has 4000 km on it and the book value is way under $10,000. Should be about $400 cheaper if I register it in BC.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that I would have to pay the taxes on what I paid for it.Is that not true?
If you would have ridden that thing this winter and put some miles on it, the market value would be lower and therefore you would be charged less tax. My 2014 has 4000 km on it and the book value is way under $10,000. Should be about $400 cheaper if I register it in BC.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what ever it is I'm not doing anything until late fall. our great government will have to wait a bit more for my money
I don't know for sure. If that is the case, I will register my sleds in Alberta.

When I did the BC registration on my quad (three years after I bought it in Alberta), I paid taxes on the book/market value.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you are right as even though I don't have the miles that you have my 2014 will be worth alot less now than when I bought iteUOTE=ferniesnow;2121431]It will be interesting Ken. As I said above, I paid the taxes on my quad on the market value at the time. I fully expect to do the same with my sleds if I pay the provincial sales tax.[/QUOTE]

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here's a curve ball, what if your quads a 95/96 and you never bothered to register it in your name back in 02?

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the Golden Star.
Off road vehicle violation
A local resident received a $598 violation ticket for not having proper insurance under the Motor Vehicle Act after police allege he was driving his dirt bike on Fisher Road. Police would also like to take this time to remind owners of Off-road vehicles that as of June 1, 2015 all ORVs operating on Crown land or forest service roads located on Crown land, must have valid registration obtained through an Autoplan Broker. For more information on this you can contact your local Autoplan broker or visit Specialty vehicles then click Off-road vehicles.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the Golden Star.
A local resident received a $598 violation ticket for not having proper insurance under the Motor Vehicle Act after police allege he was driving his dirt bike on Fisher Road. Police would also like to take this time to remind owners of Off-road vehicles that as of June 1, 2015 all ORVs operating on Crown land or forest service roads located on Crown land, must have valid registration obtained through an Autoplan Broker. For more information on this you can contact your local Autoplan broker or visit Specialty vehicles then click Off-road vehicles.

that clears it up, thanks

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
From the Golden Star.

Quads or summer motorized vehicles have had to have insurance/registration on Forest Service Roads for quite some time. Sleds have not been required to be insured.

Top Bottom