battery tender, boost pack?

Brisk

Reaction score
Hey guys, a lot of firsts yesterday. Bought my first 4 stroke bike (and first ktm), a '14 450sxf, and its decked out with a '13 timbersled kit (never even rode a snow bike before). First electric start and battery I've had too. Several mods on it including a rekluse clutch and appears ready to go for snow riding (bought it at a dealership).

so I was told to always keep the battery on a tender when not riding and it's a good idea to have a booster pak or something similar. What are you guys using, if anything, and any tips or tricks? I'm concerned for sure since the bike does not have a kickstart and at least for now I'll be riding exclusively with other snowmobiles... I'm the only one that took the snow bike plunge!

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the guys I have talked to, the high end aftermarket batteries are super reliable. I friend carried a micro start with him in case and said the only time he used it was to boost 2 nytros lol

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I charge the bike before i leave, And have a microstart in my pack

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too have a micro start. I have a battery tender cable hardwired to my battery for easy charging. The sae connector pokes out just below my seat. Has a little cap to keep stuff out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have no back up kicker , then a Charge pack is a good idea. I purchased a Earth X lithium battery last season, and am really pleased with it . Works great in the cold, as my fuel line froze last weekend in Valemount, and still had lots of cranking power until I got it going . Had to use Hot Pockets stuffed into the throttle body area, to warm the lines . It worked !
Lithium Batteries seem to be the opposite of lead acid. When you first crank it seems slow. On the second or third try, the battery seems to wake up, and the cranking speed increases. Enjoy your bike ! The deeper the snow , the better!

Brisk

Reaction score
Ok so battery tender and charge/jump pack seem mandatory, amazon here I come. Thanks.

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look for higher capacity pack. Lots of cheap low capacity ones out there. Mine is 8000mah.

The cheap Costco one was only 1200 mah

Brisk

Reaction score
Ok so I started looking around and found this boost pack at Canadian tire: noco genius boost gb40, says 1000amp starting capacity. What do you guys think, do the job well?

I'll probably also pick up the noco genius g3500 battery charger and maintainer

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both. They work great. Keep the gb40 in my back pack with jumper leads. Just keep in mind it's not an instant jump start. It needs to trickle charge the battery a little bit first. Or at least that's how mine works but I have had mine a few years.

Brisk

Reaction score
Ok good to know it needs to be connected for a bit, thanks

I bought both today so I hope I'm all set.... just need to buy a wheel kit now

Top Bottom