Baofeng radios

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Squelch to the max on a stock radio is not high at all but you can alter that .... not saying it will work though. Getting up over 65 it may not even open, but you can

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was always under impression that a maxed squelch would lower your range with other radios?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some brands of radios, one in 10 radios the squelch is so bad the radio is useless. Both brands end with the letter E . I will not name the brands though.

Last edited:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Some brands of radios, one in 10 radios the squelch is so bad the radio is useless. Both brands end with the letter E . I will not name the brands though.
Bahaaaa.
LOL...
WALKIE
and TALKIE...

Walkie Talkie......I get it.........

Vroom Vroom

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Squelch to the max on a stock radio is not high at all but you can alter that .... not saying it will work though. Getting up over 65 it may not even open, but you can

All my radio are programed with those squelch settings

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be in the market for a new radio, has any one tried one of these?

Screenshot_20220115-164523_Samsung Internet.jpg

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No i have not tried that radio lilduke tried the zastone m7 which looks close, i guess i have one more coming. One other thing to try tchetek is change the antenna, i have spent many hours and thousands of dollars on antennas, some of the stock ones are faulty. But once your done you probably would be better off with a lower power uv-82 if you like packing the larger radios.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say that is only going to come with 16 channels and it might be dmr, china likes their UHF as well. So i am not ordering that radio.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you use them as designed they are good. If you want something better and are willing to pay 3 to 5 times more, go ahead, There are newer versions of the Baofeng that have completely water proof design and have no jack holes for water to get in. Of course then you need differenct style mic.

Something like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...&terminal_id=d70db3e9cfc747c7891861cd920f1dd6

The microphone pressure fits againts gold plated pads.
Just wondering Teth-Air have you bought one of those? If my memory is right they are 3.5 watts or was that 1.5 watts. Anyway 8 of those are in the landfill now, as well as countless other models, i guess i should have saved the charging docks and batteries for you. All the 10 watts and waterproof models i have tested were very disappointing.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are selling a ton of these Oxbow Renegade radios up here, been thinking about getting a set and using the Baofeng's for cabin to parking lot runs and trail rides. Anyone here using the Oxbows?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are selling a ton of these Oxbow Renegade radios up here, been thinking about getting a set and using the Baofeng's for cabin to parking lot runs and trail rides. Anyone here using the Oxbows?

Sounds like some guys like them better than the BCA. One comment i did not like was the radios battery was dead in 5 hrs with low usage.. in cold riding.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They are still only a 2 watt UHF radio with 16 useable channels.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was using a plastic container but that broke in my pack when it was cold and I did a nice dismount from my sled...LOL.
Not intended one. Lost my talent, Should have zigged, instead of zagged.....Bwhaaa.
(Some folks like Skegro, use a hard case from canadain tire, 10 he paid if I remember correctly)

I found a nice solid pencil/pen case at walmart.
Radio fits nice.
Zippered closure. Zips up from bottom to the top. Allowing a small opening for mic cable and antenna, Has never come unzipped. Fits nicely in pack.
Put a koozy over face (put whole unit into Koozy) to protect front/back and added soft protection.

Remove antenna, and everthing will fit inside for storage including mic and charger.
Cheap also. 5.00 bucks.
Over 2 years of sledding and quading on this set up and still works fine. Radios look brand new.
Only differance is' I now have new mic covers on, The ones from RGM.

Link for canadian tire case below.....
$11.49 is the cost.
Requires some hole saw cutting for antenna and posibly on/off switch.

20210107_151326.jpg20210107_151228.jpg20210107_151336.jpg

Attachments​

• IMG_5994.jpg
    IMG_5994.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views:
Sweet! Thanks for the idea I’ll have to stop by WW/crappy tire before my next ride,

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like some guys like them better than the BCA. One comment i did not like was the radios battery was dead in 5 hrs with low usage.. in cold riding.
Most people that I know that have them carry a spare battery. I've got their Voyager 2100 lumen helmet lights and carry a spare battery with it, thing works great for riding at night.

Last edited:

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most people that I know that have them carry a spare battery. I've got their Voyager 2100 lumen helmet lights and carry a spare battery with it, thing works great for riding at night.
Not sure if you are referring to the radio or helmet light. But I have been using the Baofeng radio for several years and have not had any issues with battery life. I charge mine every night. I have been with guys on 3 day weekends that dont charge theirs and by 3rd day they are saying low voltage.
Several days this past Dec. It was -20 to -25 and no issue with radio.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you are referring to the radio or helmet light. But I have been using the Baofeng radio for several years and have not had any issues with battery life. I charge mine every night. I have been with guys on 3 day weekends that dont charge theirs and by 3rd day they are saying low voltage.
Several days this past Dec. It was -20 to -25 and no issue with radio.
Sorry, I should have been more clear, I have extra batteries for the helmet lights, the Baofengs came with chargers so no need for an extra battery.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering Teth-Air have you bought one of those? If my memory is right they are 3.5 watts or was that 1.5 watts. Anyway 8 of those are in the landfill now, as well as countless other models, i guess i should have saved the charging docks and batteries for you. All the 10 watts and waterproof models i have tested were very disappointing.
I have several. 5 Watt to 8 Watt models. I test them for power output too and the rated Wattage is frequency dependant but there is at least one frequency that they do achieve their rating and 80% at the other end of the spectrum. They have been really good except 1 charger died and some have poor battery life after a couple seasons of use. No big deal as batteries and chargers are cheap.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have several. 5 Watt to 8 Watt models. I test them for power output too and the rated Wattage is frequency dependant but there is at least one frequency that they do achieve their rating and 80% at the other end of the spectrum. They have been really good except 1 charger died and some have poor battery life after a couple seasons of use. No big deal as batteries and chargers are cheap.
You have none of the so called 10 watt baofeng radios? Or the waterproof radios right?

Top Bottom