Bankruptcy questions

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rule of thumb I have always had, if you have to finance something, and yes there are times when financing makes more sense than paying cash (extreme low interest rates) either make some big payments early, or put savings away for when you need them. It sounds like preaching, but all it takes is a little discipline, you dont have to start with much, just be loyal. I am at that point in life where I only finance business purchases, makes so much more sense for write-offs, and personal stuff has to be paid for. I wont do it any other way, but damn, it took allot of years of discipline to get to this point.
Hmm wish I could pay cash for million dollar machines.
Definitely not as much money in farming compared to logging obviously.....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, saw this coming long before I left the patch. I had guys working for me that were financed 110% prior to 2008. Absolutely floored me. I totally understand that paying cash for a 60+ thousand dollar vehicle is a stretch but it also comes to a point where you need to ask yourself do I actually need that? Was in the store last week and a new Samsung phone is $2200. Does a person really need that, should you be making payments on a couch or financing a tv or vacation? These things are all wants not needs. My truck a 2011, wife's is a 2012 toys all payed cash, because in times like what's been happening since 2016 we have made it through lean years and I took a massive pay cut. Going from a drilling consultant to a truck driver. Still have a roof over our heads and food in the belly and clothes on our backs. My dream truck is a king ranch dually but not until paying cash for it makes sense. Creature comforts are nice but 99.9% of the time its just stuff.

I bought my pickup in 2014, and I thought I paid a lot despite it being a necessity for my business, I can't believe how many brand new ones you see around that are just grocery getters, such a waste of money. I considered spending $100k on a dump truck last year, so glad I bought a old one for cash and into it for about $20k. It might not be pretty but it gets the job done just as well, and if it's slow I don't have to work it because it ain't costing me anything to sit. The feeling of owning things and not paying a bank makes them so much better. My track hoe is the last thing I owe on, and I couldn't be happier when after 17 more payments I will have that extra $2300/month. Almost spent $45k on a new half ton recently until it hit me, it will see like 15,000km a year, what a waste of money. Waiting until the dust settles on this whole virus then i'll spend about $15k cash on one that'll do just fine.

When it comes to houses I am the LAST one to talk though. 5 years ago I built a massive place on spec that i've been living in since that's been draining so much money, i'll be so happy when I sell it. It's not everything it's cracked up to be, i'll be just as happy living back in my rental that's worth half the price. Then again, it's probably because a 5000 sq/ft house for 1 person is beyond insane :rolleyes:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There's a big difference between financing equipment that makes you money compared to a sled, or a $70k truck to drive around in and never work.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Money goes down in value over time, proven fact.
You have to put it to work.
Just loosing value in your mattress.

And what's to say the original poster didn't have $5 million invested and it all went for ****?
Everyone is being awfully judgemental.

Only kind words to the guy in need here, no judgement. Money doesn’t loose value, its inflation/ markets that makes the dollar weak. putting your money to work buying campers, pick ups and toys are not good investments especially stretching it over 5,6,7 yrs. If a person had 5 million invested and the market drops 50% he would still have 2.5 mil to work with and maintain payment on there investments. Maybe I’m thinking on a different level but if I saved $10k in a jar over the last year I’m pretty sure it’s still worth $10k today, but if I’m wrong I stand corrected. I’m pretty sure the guy that needs cash and sells me his toys, property or equipment for 50 cents on the dollar its like doubling down. Picked up something for half it’s value and I’m still left with half my tin can savings. Looks like my money just made a great rate of return and trust me the deals out there will be good.
Everyone has a plan for there money but to say saving some money is worthless I’m not to sure.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please re read, mr stomping didn’t mention anything about paying off million dollar equipment for cash. Don’t get misinformed logging doesn't pay well, just read into it and see how many contractors and mills closed this year alone. We are all pulling on the hind one.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
The dictator wants the entire population indebted to him as soon as possible.
Its a tough call on the government support and quantitative easing. Doesn't it just reinforce bad behavior? What happened to personal responsibility? I think it's absolutely ridiculous that they are already rolling out rent and mortgage payment cancellation. We are a couple of weeks into this!! If you can't survive a
Couple of months without a paycheck that is a YOU problem. If that's how things are going to be then what is the sense in living responsibly? Why drive older vehicles and buy used toys with cash? Not that I wish anything bad on anyone, but if you are experiencing financial difficulties then that is a direct product of the choices you have made.

If we were six months or more into this I might be a little more empathetic.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's good debt vs bad debt. Good is financing a machine or something that works and covers the payment, insurance and maintenance plus adds cash flow. Bad debt is typically considered consumer debt. Financing a cellphone over 3 years that only goes down in value. Consider assets vs liabilities. Anything that makes $$$ is a asset, anything that costs $$$ is a liability including your home.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a balance - unfortunately many don't / won't / can't achieve it. Debt is easy when times are good and rates are low ... easy to get over extended as many figure the good times will always last. Been through 18 %+ interest period so times are much easier with low rates.

Lots of people in low wage industries that can't really get ahead so hard not to sympathize. Re current situation its not simply a slow down in one sector or one country - its wide spread.

In our company it's likely going to be 12 to 15 months from now before we have revenue. The 2020 travel season is poised to be a complete write off. With distancing requirements we wouldn't likely even be permitted to operate. Luckily we're well positioned. Have to little debt, decent cash reserves because we didn't go overboard in the good times. So we can ride it out if forced put but won't be much use if the remaining economy is in tatters when this settles out. Gov't does not have much choice other than to do a major broad based bailout otherwise a depression would be inevitable.

snow_farmer

Reaction score
I feel for ya. Noone deserves to lose there stuff but to have bought a truck and trailer 6-8 years ago and still making payments on it is irresponsible. I am fortunate and have a very good (what I think is secure) job and I still live very much within my means with a 6-8 month rainy day fund just incase. Sure I could have two brand new vehicle payments, a million dollar house/acreage, a brand new sled every year and be ridden with debt but why. Everyone's situation is different and I agree, there's a lot of people in this world who are dealt ****ty hands and I feel for them. But when you talk to people who complain about rent but they have a 1200 a month vehicle payment and a brand new sled sitting on a trailer out front it really makes a person think. I know one family who had an extra $60 dollars in their budget so they went and financed a brand new computer for $45 of it.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of good people kill themselves over stupid sh!t like this.... it’s just not worth it. Wish the best for everyone.Never be to proud to ask for help or lose sleep over money or debt,it’s all just bull eh!t

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness talk to a professional, try to consolidate if possible then sell to pay down the consolidation loan. Keeps your credit going and no wage garnishment.

Just remember to pay the consolidation loan off prior to taking on more debt

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't change the past but you can learn from it.
I went through the same thing back in the 80s
Had all the toys financed to the max, then things got tough.
I got though it by making hard choices and so will you.
Some good advice as to get credit counseling the difference between wants and needs.
Some not so good as should of, would of , could of.
Not going to help at this point.
There will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey kingcat sorry to hear about your situation. If you actually considering bankruptcy make u rack up as much unsecured debt as possible because that disappears as there is nothing to repo lol. Seriously I know nothing about how to handle that but it seems like some knowledgeable people hear pointing u to professional help and that seems like a good idea. If your serious about selling your truck PM me some details. Hope everything turns around cause we are all sick of this mess the world is in.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Personal purchases my friend, personal. It makes no financial sense to pay for major business purchases with cash, far smarter to use the banks cheap money for that.

As for money in logging? There is big money, but there are also big expenses and high risk. I know far more who have left the industry broke than rich.

Top Bottom